Join Early Retirement Today

Where should one invest
Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where should one invest

The question; where should one invest for retirement income.
Growth mutual funds ? Stocks bonds, I would love to manage my own portfolio. Looking for any advise .

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you have little investment experience, I suggest you get this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Investment...s=books&sr=1-1

As a starting book. It's a short book that makes a case for index investing and gives several asset allocations for various risk levels. I liked it because it was like a refresher course from what I learned in school and the asset allocations were similar to a study done for a small endowment I managed.

If you want something now, an asset allocation of 51% domestic bond index, 35% domestic equity index and 14% international equity index will likely produce a 7% return (based on data from the 2000's). While you may hear arguments about the 7% return (this iMessage it's different), you'd have to take on a lot more risk to get a better return than what this allocation will eventually produce.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 04-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go with Warren buffet's advice. Pick an S&P ETF and buy and hold.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Presuming that you are young, decide on a broad index ETF and hold on to it. Buy more when you can.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
The question; where should one invest for retirement income.
Growth mutual funds ? Stocks bonds, I would love to manage my own portfolio. Looking for any advise .

See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the advise, I have a coworker that I told him of this site. He had a question that I couldn't answer " let's ask these smart investors". He is looking at going with someone that will charge 1.4 on his nest egg.
I thought that was high but I believe it's the average. So he was asking if you self manage yourself what do you get into that's not so risky that you can make over 4 or 5 %

Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
Thank you all for the advise, I have a coworker that I told him of this site. He had a question that I couldn't answer " let's ask these smart investors". He is looking at going with someone that will charge 1.4 on his nest egg.
I thought that was high but I believe it's the average. So he was asking if you self manage yourself what do you get into that's not so risky that you can make over 4 or 5 %

A fee (expense ratio) of 1.4% is close to the industry average, assuming this includes the advisor's fee, fund loads, and all other costs. But it's about 10x the cost of buying your own funds. After compounding for a few years, that's a much worse performance.

Please take a few weeks, read a book or two from this site's suggested reading list, and try to handle your own investing. If you can't for emotional reasons, then get a financial advisor who charges an hourly rate and is a fiduciary.

Good luck, and welcome!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I mean that's what you should tell your friend...
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #9

To be honest, you sound like someone who needs to get yourself educated about basic investing before making any move. By asking about "Growth mutual funds" you have probably been reading Dave Ramsey, who is excellent on debt reduction and lousy on investment advice. You sound to me like the perfect candidate for a Target Date Fund. Read what those are so that you have basic awareness, then set it and forget it and go back to your life.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
To be honest, you sound like someone who needs to get yourself educated about basic investing before making any move. By asking about "Growth mutual funds" you have probably been reading Dave Ramsey, who is excellent on debt reduction and lousy on investment advice. You sound to me like the perfect candidate for a Target Date Fund. Read what those are so that you have basic awareness, then set it and forget it and go back to your life.
Good advice.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
+2 - A Target Date Fund would probably be an excellent place to start (and probably finish).

I will add that your comment " So he was asking if you self manage yourself what do you get into that's not so risky that you can make over 4 or 5 % " points out that you need a little education on how investments work.

As you move from very low returns and very low 'risk' investments, to the potential for higher returns from 'riskier' investments, you can't predict what you will 'make'. Higher risk/return investments have the potential for higher returns, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. But over the long run, higher risk has been rewarded.

But here's what we do know - If you self-manage, you are saving that ~ 1.4% each and every year, and it is very unlikely that your advisor can overcome that with better performance. It's more likely he will lag behind.

Just enter the terms "active versus passive investing" into a search engine and read for yourself. You will find a lot of comments like:

A New Measure of Active vs. Passive Investing - Total Return - WSJ

Quote:
The first Active/Passive Barometer report, which looks at fund results over the one-, three-, five- and 10-year periods through 2014, found that actively managed funds have generally underperformed their passive counterparts, especially over longer time horizons. The active funds have also experienced higher mortality rates, meaning that many have merged or closed, Morningstar says. ...

“More than anything, fees matter,” says Mr. Johnson. Even among lower-cost funds, those in the lowest quartile performed better than those in the next-higher cost quartile, he says.
You are asking the right questions though, and that puts you far ahead of most people.

-ERD50
Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Index funds.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

1.4% may be industry average, but you should still not pay it. If one is not willing to learn to manage their own investments, one can at least try a "robo" advisor like Betterment that will have a much lower fee. On the 4-5% with no risk, in year past you could do that at the bank but in today's interest rate environment, there is no return like that without some risk. I agree on the index funds/ETF's.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1

Also - an easy read that will give you confidence that you don't need a FA and that investing is not magic/***** pocus/complicated.

The Millionaire Teacher
Old 04-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
magic/***** pocus/complicated.
Rodi typed a dirty word, Rodi typed a dirty word...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #16

Google "Eight Simple Portfolios" and you will get a Boglehead forum hit based on two fund thru eight fund portfolios of mixed bag stock/bond US and foreign Vanguard index fund portfolios. Same can be said for Fidelity.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #17

Asset allocation and index funds are the closest thing to a free lunch you can get. Once I found out how well it works, how simple and foolproof it is, and how much less I was wasting on unnecessary fees, I vowed to never go back. 1.4% fees is 1/3 of my safe withdrawal rate. Why would I want to give away 1/3 of my retirement money? I also do better after quitting my FA and not following boilerplate advice.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rodi typed a dirty word, Rodi typed a dirty word...

Good thing I wasn't drinkin milk at the time cause this just made me actually LOL.
In my head it was said with the whiniest lil' girl voice I could imagine!