Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Where the Heck Are The Bears?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Come on! Greg, Donner, Blitzen-- gold has gone through 17 year highs, the large stock indices are all acting badly, Greenspan is standing on his smoking brakes, crude oil, natural gas and refined products are sky high, Wal-Mart has gone down for 5 years, and now it looks like maybe Jehovah hates GW, his former main man. Why else would he send Rita so soon after Katie stomped her stilettos into GW’s back?

Come on guys; let's have some long dark essays to keep me satisfied.*

Haha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Where the Heck Are The Bears?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Come on! Greg, Donner, Blitzen-- gold has gone through 17 year highs, the large stock indices are all acting badly, Greenspan is standing on his smoking brakes, crude oil, natural gas and refined products are sky high, Wal-Mart has gone down for 5 years, and now it looks like maybe Jehovah hates GW, his former main man. Why else would he send Rita so soon after Katie stomped her stilettos into GW’s back?

Come on guys; let's have some long dark essays to keep me satisfied.*

Haha

How about a short one? The world is going to hell and there is not
a damn thing you can do about it.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Come on guys; let's have some long dark essays to keep me satisfied.
Pervert...

Old 09-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Come on guys; let's have some long dark essays to keep me satisfied.* Haha
Yeah, thanks a lot, Mikey. Soliciting behavior like that will get you a moderator offer...

Our retirement portfolio is less than 2% off its all-time high and our home equity is setting new highs every month. Even with a couple hurricanes off the coast it's hard to get worried until things drop another 38% or so...

OK, here's a couple of dark spots. Property taxes are nearly three times as high as our annual spending on gasoline.

Hey, Laurence, get this. Friends of ours are getting ready to sell their San Diego home-- just off Rosecrans near the old NTC-- and move here to buy "cheaper" real estate in Aiea Heights or Kailua. Talk about your equity bandits!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yeah, thanks a lot, Mikey. Soliciting behavior like that will get you a moderator offer...

Our retirement portfolio is less than 2% off its all-time high and our home equity is setting new highs every month. Even with a couple hurricanes off the coast it's hard to get worried until things drop another 38% or so...

OK, here's a couple of dark spots. Property taxes are nearly three times as high as our annual spending on gasoline.

Hey, Laurence, get this. Friends of ours are getting ready to sell their San Diego home-- just off Rosecrans near the old NTC-- and move here to buy "cheaper" real estate in Aiea Heights or Kailua. Talk about your equity bandits!
Grrr! Alas, I am trapped here by the need to work. Oh, I should update an old thread....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Come on guys; let's have some long dark essays to keep me satisfied.

Haha
Greg turned 53 today and I made the mistake of telling him that 53 is a meaningless birthday. He's sulking watching tv right now. He tells me to tell you he is buying more RYDEX funds this week or early next week, and will be back when the DOW hits 8000 so he can said "told ya so."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Greg turned 53 today and I made the mistake of telling him that 53 is a meaningless birthday.*
Same for Anniversaries?
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The market usually goes down in Sept/Oct. Nothing new under the sun.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 AM   #9

Sorry haha, portfolio's still approximately 94% stock. I'm unphased.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghopper
Same for Anniversaries?
We got married after living together for a number of years. Some how we have forgotten exactly what day is our anniversary. That amuses us enough not to look it up. Ergo, no celebrations.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That amuses us enough not to look it up.
Heh, me too!

Happy Anniversary!
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can count me in as a bear now, too. I shorted my very first stock yesterday, have sold off almost all of my equities that are expensive and sensitive to consumer spending, and have started buying puts on selected companies taht will get badly hurt in an economic downdraft. I think the economy is basically healthy, but I really do not think that current asset prices reflect what a doubling of gasoline, electricity, and heating costs will do to consumer spending as we enter the crucial holiday season.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Come on! Greg, Donner, Blitzen
I'm sad to report that Donner has been abducted by the Plunge Protection Team. The good news is that he really enjoyed the ride in the black helicopter.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
We got married after living together for a number of years.* *Some how we have forgotten exactly what day is our anniversary.* That amuses us enough not to look it up.* Ergo, no celebrations.
We were hitchhiking across North America one summer and stopped long enough to get married. We know the day is either the 15th or 16th of June. Rather than look it up, we celebrate for two days.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Why it's bear season here in MI, they tend to keep a low profile for a few weeks. Shooting at them causes them to get skittish for some odd reason......Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote