Join Early Retirement Today

Where to keep cash?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where to keep cash?

This is not another alternative to cash thread, and not a CD thread, it's a best place to keep liquid cash question? Though Vanguard was/is supposedly considering getting into online banking, I'm tired of waiting and getting a 0.02% return on VMMXX. So I am researching options for savings. The local banks seem to be in the 0.25% range, but it appears I can get 0.75-1.0% at Ally, PenFed or ING for example. I know I'll be limited to X transactions/month or /year and there will be a minimum account $ - no problem with either for a higher rate. I know I've seen references to PenFed and Ally here, though much of that has been re: CDs - not "savings." Am I missing something?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Is this for funds that need to be immediately liquid, or that you might need and can't risk, but can tie up for a while? If it is the former, then I would point you to the usual suspects for online savings accounts: ING, Discover, Sallie Mae, etc. If it is the latter, it is currently hard to beat Pen Fed CDs and I bonds.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This is not another alternative to cash thread, and not a CD thread, it's a best place to keep liquid cash question? Though Vanguard was/is supposedly considering getting into online banking, I'm tired of waiting and getting a 0.02% return on VMMXX. So I am researching options for savings. The local banks seem to be in the 0.25% range, but it appears I can get 0.75-1.0% at Ally, PenFed or ING for example. I know I'll be limited to X transactions/month or /year and there will be a minimum account $ - no problem with either for a higher rate. I know I've seen references to PenFed and Ally here, though much of that has been re: CDs - not "savings." Am I missing something?
I have a huge amount of respect for you, Midpack, and appreciated you letting me help bring the class of 2011 in for a safe landing

Regarding cash, I don't mind VG MMF returns. I think the trick is to keep only the amount you need there - it's still better than stuffing in the mattress!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Regarding cash, I don't mind VG MMF returns. I think the trick is to keep only the amount you need there - it's still better than stuffing in the mattress!
The problem with money market funds is not their returns, it is the fact that you are accepting a lower yield for a riskier instrument than you find in a full-faith-and-credit bank accoint or tresury instrument.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You can connect an Ally savings account to your local bank checking account and transfer funds in three business days. This can be setup and done all online.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Is this for funds that need to be immediately liquid, or that you might need and can't risk, but can tie up for a while? If it is the former, then I would point you to the usual suspects for online savings accounts: ING, Discover, Sallie Mae, etc. If it is the latter, it is currently hard to beat Pen Fed CDs and I bonds.
Even though I don't do buckets, it's my cash bucket. It's too much for iBonds, but I'd expect transactions about quarterly on average, the money I don't want tied up in CDs.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
And for cash over and above MMF?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And for cash over and above MMF?
Well, I've been putting mine in GNMAs, we'll see how that works out!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My first reaction when I read this was "in my underwear drawer". But I guess that would limit my AA.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been sitting on too much cash, and just opened an Ally savings account. Very simple, very easy.... .95% beats what my credit union was paying, which was beating what my bank is paying....
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My liquidity is in Discover Bank online savings account - pays 0.8% FDIC insured (~ one year of living expenses). Then another year in Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade Fund (~ 2% distribution yield).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I gave up on cash long ago. I guess I am OK with losing 5-8% in a short-term bond fund nowadays since over the past 2 years the gains have been about that, so the loss would bring me back to VMMXX returns. Every day the short-term bond fund doesn't drop in value is another day of bliss.

Or one could shift their asset allocation to have less equities. For example, instead of 60:35:05 stocks:bonds:cash, one could go 55:45:00. Or something like that.

Now there are lots of articles about not reaching for yield. Here's one I liked where Larry Swedroe has some thoughts:
Larry Swedroe Positions For 2013: Resist The Temptation To Stretch For Yield - Seeking Alpha

But with only little bit in cash, the difference between earning 0.02% and 1.0% amounts to about the cost of one restaurant dinner, right? Thus, I would not get too worked up about finding the best place as one's checking account is probably going to be just fine.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even though I don't do buckets, it's my cash bucket. It's too much for iBonds, but I'd expect transactions about quarterly on average, the money I don't want tied up in CDs.
One idea: The Ally Savings accounts and their MM accounts both pay 0.95% (the savings account is FDIC insured. Both give you good access to your money--ATMs, etc). But the 4-year "Raise your Rate" CDs pay 1.35% and the interest penalty for early withdrawal is only 60 days interest. So, you'll be money ahead with the CD once your money has been there about 7 months or so (I didn't do the math)--after that it is all "extra" compared to a savings account or MM. So, don't even think of it as a 4 year CD--it's an "I can get my money whenever I want it but I'll be ahead of the game after just 7 months" CD. And, if Ally's rates on that product go up you can ask for the increased rate--up to two times in the 4 years.
You could put a small amount in the savings account (to provide immediate emergency cash through ATMs or wire transfer to your MF company), and put the bulk in CDs. When the mood strikes, liquidate the CDs to your Ally savings account and wire the funds where you want
em.
Obviously, confirm all of that with Ally--I've only set up CD's with them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #14

Ally would be my choice now. When I was making the choice, ING was better. Discover Bank was also up their pretty high, as is Everbank.

But I found that a local credit union offers 4% interest on the first $3000 (and 0.25% after that), so once my spouse gets over the shock of us opening so many new accounts recently, I may take advantage of that. It's only about $90 a year, but it also gives us a local bank presence so we can get cashiers checks and such if we ever need it.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #15

Add American Express Bank to the list. Easy to set up and transfers can be scheduled.

ING was recently purchased by CapitalOne. For now, its rates are better than CapitalOne but not as attractive as at Ally or Amex. Not sure what will be happening, but I suspect the rates will drop as they get further absorbed.

-- Rita
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our credit union is currently paying 1.78% on rewards checking accounts up to $10k, then 0.21% on balances above that. That's been our cash account for a few years. It used to allow $20k to get the full interest rate. It essentially has a zero duration as they say in bond fund speak.

The next level up in duration for us is ST Investment Grade fund (VFSUX, duration = 2.3 years) from Vanguard. So I'll keep maybe $15k in the credit union account and as it approaches $10k, I'll sell some VFSUX and electronically transfer it.

If the Fed starts raising rates I might create another step in this system so the ST IG fund keeps money around for at least its duration.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It appears some of you don't subscribe to keeping 1, 2 even 3 years of cash on hand once you retire. I only kept an emergency fund when I was working, now I've let cash grow to 2-3 years worth of annual expenses.

At any rate I will visit my local bank as a courtesy this week, and then most likely open an account with Ally (though I despise GM, long boring story) or another online bank...

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Add American Express Bank to the list. Easy to set up and transfers can be scheduled.

ING was recently purchased by CapitalOne. For now, its rates are better than CapitalOne but not as attractive as at Ally or Amex. Not sure what will be happening, but I suspect the rates will drop as they get further absorbed.

-- Rita
Do you know whether it's possible to electronically transfer funds to the American Express savings account from a brokerage account or a mutual fund account - initiated from the brokerage/mutual fund account?

Fidelity says that bank "non-passbook savings accounts" are eligible for electronic fund transfers, so I'm wondering if the American Express Bank "high yield" savings account would fall in that category.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
You can connect an Ally savings account to your local bank checking account and transfer funds in three business days. This can be setup and done all online.
I do this frequently but learned the hard way with Band of America because they charge a fee to transfer funds. So, the way out of this is to request the transfer through ALLY. So when I want to transfer funds from BOA to ALLY, I ask ALLY to request the funds from BOA. No fee. Also, I have noticed that funds requested by ALLY from BOA only take two days as opposed to three days. Maybe not guaranteed, but common.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I do this frequently but learned the hard way with Band of America because they charge a fee to transfer funds. So, the way out of this is to request the transfer through ALLY. So when I want to transfer funds from BOA to ALLY, I ask ALLY to request the funds from BOA. No fee. Also, I have noticed that funds requested by ALLY from BOA only take two days as opposed to three days. Maybe not guaranteed, but common.
I transfer funds between my BOA checking account and my Fidelity accounts all the time. I always initiate it from Fidelity, so I've never paid a fee.