Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Where to put 100K
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords, you overestimate me as no longer being a Newbie, oh and by the way, you forgot to add the name "Grasshopper".

Give me about 10 years and I'll catch to all of you in knowledge and wisdom. My only problem is that I have to figure out how to average 10% off of our portfolio in the mean time........................Master.

I'm going to have to reserve "Four Pillars" and "BogleHead Guide to Investing" at the library since my ER budget won't allow me to purchase books anymore. I reserved one already and I think it's called 'Your money your life' something like that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You guys/gals (X or Y?) crack me up

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback, and, err, entertainment.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
You guys/gals (X or Y?) crack me up

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback, and, err, entertainment.
This place is WAY MORe interesting than other chat rooms I have been on..........

You guys/gals ALL crack me up..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
This place is WAY MORe interesting than other chat rooms I have been on..........
Yeah, I know. Those gay sex chat rooms are SO single-minded...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Are you picking a fight?

Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Could also by BI-minded...
paradiseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #67

Quote:
Old 10-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think brewer is mad about something.............or maybe, LACK of something.........

Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you picking a fight?

Nah. C'mon, it was meant as a joke.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah. C'mon, it was meant as a joke.
Ok.......... I guess I'll "turn the page" on this one.................

Old 10-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #71

Quote:
Sorry if this question is too broad. I'll be receiving 100k in about a month and I'd like to put it in a place that's relatively safe, that's not a MM account. I have money already in a Vanguard Wellsely account and so far I'm very happy. I'm thinking STAR or Wellington are good funds too. Any other good recommendations on Vanguard funds which have consistent growth with low to medium volatility?
I'm curious what you have against a mutual fund MM account. Given the moderate and rising interest rates, and the recent surge of the stock market, you could do much worse. With only a 5 year timeframe, i'd definitely be an option i'd consider.

It just sounds to me like preservation of principal is important to you for this money. "Medium" volatility could easily involve an investment that could cost you as much as 30% of your principle if we just happened to have a "bad" 5 years with whatever medium volatile investment you end up picking.

Give me relatively high interest rates and the need to use the money in the short term, and i'm all over a good paying money market account like those you get from mutual fund companies (not banks). They're also great for when you're just being defensive, if you're a timer.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
I'm curious what you have against a mutual fund MM account. Given the moderate and rising interest rates, and the recent surge of the stock market, you could do much worse. With only a 5 year timeframe, i'd definitely be an option i'd consider.

It just sounds to me like preservation of principal is important to you for this money. "Medium" volatility could easily involve an investment that could cost you as much as 30% of your principle if we just happened to have a "bad" 5 years with whatever medium volatile investment you end up picking.

Give me relatively high interest rates and the need to use the money in the short term, and i'm all over a good paying money market account like those you get from mutual fund companies (not banks). They're also great for when you're just being defensive, if you're a timer.
I beleive he said NOT in a MM account, meaning he wants to get a return higher than 5% or so.............

There are plenty of places to do that.............although a new bank opened in my hometown, and they've got a "teaser rate" of 6% on a 4-month CD..............

Old 10-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #73

Quote:
I beleive he said NOT in a MM account, meaning he wants to get a return higher than 5% or so.............
Hence, why i asked him/her what he has against a mutual fund account.

There are returns over the long term greater than 5%, no doubt, but not without risk of losing principle. I'm currently 75% or so stock myself, but this is money with an investment horizon approaching 30 years.

Definition of a CD: 1. Return of a money market mutual fund except your money is locked up. Locking your money up for an extra 1% over a short term is definitely not worth losing the flexibility (liquidity). If i was a betting man, i would bet banks are able to offer higher rates on CD's first and foremost because they make money off of people who break their cd's when the inevitable emergency comes up. Murphy is still alive and breathing.

Anyway, i want a really high paying investment with no risk too - when you find one, let me know.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote