Join Early Retirement Today

Where to put $15k in the market today
Old 03-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Administrator

Where to put $15k in the market today

I have a minor portion of my total portfolio in individual stocks. The amount I have in my brokerage account is fixed. I haven't added anything in two years and doubt if I ever will again. I mostly have the account to work off the excess testoterone in my system. In any event, I have about $15k in cash from the recent sale of a stock that I believe has peaked. Any ideas where I might put this money now?

I already own ACL, BNI, BRY, CHK, EGLE, ENDP, NAT, SID and WLK.

Thanks,

Gumby
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Where to put $15k in the market today
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Im a sucker for index funds. SP 500 maybe a total market. You dont really give any kind of time table for investing.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I follow about 30 well-run, solid companies (IMO) with long histories
of doing a good job of running their businesses. I invest for the long
term, and have virtually all my money in individual stocks.

The best-valued stock of those I follow (based on how I
evaluate stocks) is JNJ (at todays close).

The best valued REITs are WRE and PLD.

Disclaimer : I hold positions in all 3 stocks.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Assuming you aren't interested in another shipping company (in which case I think DSX is cheap), I beieve BPOP is dirt frickin' cheap at the moment. OCFC is cheap, too, but I am waiting for their 10K before I am willing to commit additional funds. ANH is also cheap, but I have chosen to own their covertible preferred stock (ANH+B is the ticker at Schwab).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

brewer12345:
What's the main indicator you use to evaluate the bank stock? PB? Could you have a look TMFZ.OB, I hold for more than two years, looks very very cheap, but...

Thanks,
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex
brewer12345:
What's the main indicator you use to evaluate the bank stock? PB? Could you have a look TMFZ.OB, I hold for more than two years, looks very very cheap, but...

Thanks,
I look at lots of things: earnings, net interest margin, operating efficiency, credit risk, capitalization, price/book, deposit premium, franchise value, etc.

TMFZ isn't a bank. Its an unregulated mortgage lender. Not my cup of tea.

- George Orwell

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd purchase a short term CD that would mature in June or July. In fact, I've done exactly that with my own money. That will give you a few months to get more suggestions and let the air out of the stock market like always seems happen between March and end of June.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I'd purchase a short term CD that would mature in June or July. In fact, I've done exactly that with my own money. That will give you a few months to get more suggestions and let the air out of the stock market like always seems happen between March and end of June.
Since the end of 1982, the S&P 500 has only declined in 7 of 24 second quarters (end of March til end of June). The average second quarter increase in the index over this time period has been 3.5% (not including dividends).
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I beieve BPOP is dirt frickin' cheap at the moment. ..OCFC is cheap, too, but I am waiting for their 10K before I am willing to commit additional funds
Interesting I've been looking at BPOP for sometime, M* has its fair value at $30/share and with 4% yield not the worse place to put money while the financial industry shakeout continues. I was concerned that 2006 revenues were pretty much flat,and there shutdown of some of there mainland operations isn't a good thing. I very much like the demographics of the Puerto Rican market and the ability of BPOP to make money from the many Puerto Rican's moving to places like NYC. Any additional thoughts about BPOP.

Finally any thoughts about TRST, this is NY regional bank that is paying a very generous 6.5% dividend. It has drifted down from $11 to just under $10 since I bought. I am assuming that is just the general sell off in banking stocks.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
Since the end of 1982, the S&P 500 has only declined in 7 of 24 second quarters (end of March til end of June). The average second quarter increase in the index over this time period has been 3.5% (not including dividends).
Excellent info, thanks! Now tell me about dips in the quarter. Can I buy 10% lower than now and still end up higher in June?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Excellent info, thanks! Now tell me about dips in the quarter. Can I buy 10% lower than now and still end up higher in June?
Dirty market timer!

-CC

Edit: I've been thinkin' about buyin' Vanguard Financials ETF (VFH) , but since Vanguard's TSM (which I already have) has a healthy portion of financials in it, and haven't filled the wife's RothIRA yet, I haven't pulled the trigger on buying any VFH yet.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #12

I have been adding to BPOP and it keeps getting cheaper as I do
Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Jones Soda has just announced that they are moving away from High Fructose Corn Syrop in all their products. They have also expanded distribution to four major chains. And they will begin national TV promotion along with their rollout to the major chains.

This enhanced visibility with a healthier product should provide some upward pressure on their share prices. They may move into the mainstream in 2007. I have held them since 2001.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
Interesting I've been looking at BPOP for sometime, M* has its fair value at $30/share and with 4% yield not the worse place to put money while the financial industry shakeout continues. I was concerned that 2006 revenues were pretty much flat,and there shutdown of some of there mainland operations isn't a good thing. I very much like the demographics of the Puerto Rican market and the ability of BPOP to make money from the many Puerto Rican's moving to places like NYC. Any additional thoughts about BPOP.

Finally any thoughts about TRST, this is NY regional bank that is paying a very generous 6.5% dividend. It has drifted down from $11 to just under $10 since I bought. I am assuming that is just the general sell off in banking stocks.
Actually, BPOP isn't shutting down their very extensive mainland operations, just the wholesale subprime mortgage division (a very good thing, IMO). The real issue with BPOP and the other Ricans is that PR is in recession, so credit quality is less than it could be. Since BPOP is easily the strongest, best run PR bank with the most diversified profile, I don't imagine they will have trouble weathering the storm. I will continue adding if it keeps getting cheaper.

I looked at TRST soem time ago. It appears to be a profitable, well-run bank, but I cannot get past 3X book for it when so many other attractive banks (BPOP, WHI, OCFC, AF, etc.) are far, far cheaper.

- George Orwell

Old 03-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #15

Brew -

Any interest in CFC if the subprime markets continues to drift it lower - like $20s price range? CFC seems to be the best of the worst.