Where to put cash?

billystu

Dryer sheet wannabe
While working I have always been able to stash my emergency living expense cash (plus other cash) in a special account that paid a pretty decent rate (currently 4%) with no withdrawal restrictions. As a result, I have never really had to pay attention to cash type investments before.

I'm going to quit soon, and I will lose the above mentioned account when I do. I wanted to tap the collective knowledge on this board, as many of you seem to have a really good grasp of comparative returns on cash-type investments.

What would yall suggest I put my cash into as a replacment for this account? I've considered money market accounts, laddering CD's, laddering ST Treasuries, laddering TIPS, and so far I can't seem to get as much rate as I got before.

The amount of cash is getting fairly large (1M), and that throws me off a bit when I compare investments like CDs (ladder in 10 different banks due to 100K FDIC limit?).

Any suggestions are appreciated :)

billystu

There is an exisitng thread on this topic: Short Term Corp Fund, I-Bonds, or CDs?

The choice of short-term investments is totally dependent on the level of risk that you can tolerate.

a short-term bond fund or muni-short-term bond fund is a good place to park your cash while you are thinking about other alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom