Where to put low risk money

bobbee25

Recycles dryer sheets
With CDs so low, what other options exist for low risk investors ?

I put my low risk money in Wellington Fund, a balanced mutual fund with the goal of income & preservation of principal. That doesn't mean it won't go down in value but it seemed to me to be the best low risk option. Available through Vanguard, or Fidelity for $75 fee.

Online savings accounts are paying about 1% and are FDIC insured. Better than many money market funds or short CDs.

I put my low risk money in Wellington Fund, a balanced mutual fund with the goal of income & preservation of principal. That doesn't mean it won't go down in value but it seemed to me to be the best low risk option. Available through Vanguard, or Fidelity for $75 fee.
Wellington as an alternative to CDs?

Attachments

• Well Dow.gif
    Well Dow.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Well.gif
    Well.gif
    60.2 KB · Views: 21
Penfe is offering 2.3% on 5yr CD, with inflation of 2.5% er... never mind :)

First I'd be asking - why do I need 'low risk' money, and how much? What would happen if I put it into something that could drop, and it did - end of the world?

-ERD50

Unfortunately, there is no free lunch. The best alternatives for little or no risk appear to be online savings accounts at about 1%, 5 year Pen Fed CDs at 2.25% (6 month interest early withdrawal penalty), or perhaps I bonds (low limits on how much you can buy). Everything else requires you to accept higher levels of risk. Are you prepared to accept more risk?

Wellington at 65-70% equities would not be my choice. At my point in life that's about as risky as I'll go.

Is this some kind of trick question?

"Low risk" means you aren't willing to take risks of losing principal. Some even mean that they're not willing to risk volatility.

By your definition, Treasuries, CDs, I bonds, annuities, and guaranteed income contracts are your only options. If you want more options then you're going to have to move away from the "low risk" definition.

We should be turning cartwheels & backflips that CD rates are so low, because it implies that inflation is also low. I'd much rather have 2.5% CDs in an era of 3% inflation than to have 5% CDs in an era of 6% inflation.

Asking for some other option for "low risk" investing is like asking for some other vowel to use for spelling "aardvark". You can have any vowel you want, but you won't get the intended result.

I was just reading Barron's 3 March, they had an article suggesting emerging market bonds as less risk than developed markets. Not sure what fund(s) would fit that but something to think bout

I've been happy with Fidelity's FGMNX (GNMA bonds) fund, fairly low volatility, and I'm venturing lightly into TLT, a long-term Treasuries ETF. Things that are volitile but generally move opposite to equities may be an OK risk for you if you have lots of equities.

penfed cds

Pen fed 5yr CDs are now 2% with a 365 withdrawal penalty

Yep, they sneaked that one-year early-redemption penalty in 6-12 months ago. But I think the three-year CDs are still 180 days.

I-bonds are paying 3.06%. Rate resets every 6 months, they have to be held 1 year, and if sold before 5 years the last 3 month's interest is withheld.

Limit of $10k/person/year.

At home in a fire proof safe. Only good news about the absurdly low rates is I don't stress about where to park my money anymore.

With bonds/CDs/notes there is both default and inflation risk. With dividend paying equities there is market risk. There is no free lunch. I think a balanced fund with a high % of dividend paying equities was the best option for my 'safe money'. But, I also have old inflation protected Fed bonds.

We should be turning cartwheels & backflips that CD rates are so low, because it implies that inflation is also low. I'd much rather have 2.5% CDs in an era of 3% inflation than to have 5% CDs in an era of 6% inflation.

So would I, but think we are closer to 2.5% CDs in an era of 6% inflation. Could be amplified here in Paradise, but I have personally documented quite a few items which don't support low inflation. HOA up 8% this year, travel to mainland up 14%, fuel up 10%, HECO (not sure, but currently higher than when oil was $150/bbl), canned goods (smaller cans at noticeably, though not documented) higher prices, fast food up dramatically, health care (mine) doubled from $5K to $11K (not just more services, either), car registration up double digits, TP up 10% at Costco, dental rates up (est. 15%), co-pays on drugs up 25%, rents way up in two areas I personally know. I realize some of these (personal share of medical costs, for instance) may not be captured as dramatically in the official inflation rate, but this year was my turn to get creamed on co-pay/HC-insurance increases. Next year, it may be someone else. It does and it will add up as inflation, whether recognized officially or not. As discussed elsewhere, it really does depend on personal situations. Unfortunately, MY inflation is not recognized in current savings rates. YMMV

Is this some kind of trick question?

"Low risk" means you aren't willing to take risks of losing principal.....

Asking for some other option for "low risk" investing is like asking for some other vowel to use for spelling "aardvark". You can have any vowel you want, but you won't get the intended result.

Agree 100%.

And long while since I've heard "aardvark" working into any discussion on personal finance!

I am fortunate to live in an area with high interest rates and low inflation and can generate real rates of return in the +6% range on CD's. From time to time I ponder what I would be doing with "cash" if I was living in the states.

My safest idea would probably be to open a CNY savings account with the Bank of China.
Down side= Max $20,000 can be converted/deposited per year.
= The Savings account pays no interest.
= Exchange rates will vary will be less than official rate due to
transportation/bookeeping/insurance costs

Upside = FDIC INSURED
= Backed by China
= Can be withdrawn/converted to Dollars at any time
= No FBAR required
= CNY has been floating upward by +4% per year.
= Conversion/withdrawal does not trigger taxable event.

If you have access to a "Stable Value" fund, mine are paying 3.5 % for the last 2 years. I think you can only get into them via a 401k. I have 2 of them, and yes, they have been very stable.

FWIW, I put $60K in Wellesley on Oct 31st
I also put an additional $30K on Jan 26th

I also put $60K in Vanguard GNMA on Oct 31st
I also put an additional $30K on Jan 26th

currently, my Wellesley is sitting at $93680
currently, my GNMA is sitting at $90875

draw your own conclusions

I'm happy for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom