Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Just read the article, and the author does make that point. I'm going to have a martini now and try not to think about it.
If seriously concerned look at the steps recommened for the Y2k problem, and do them. Essentially the worst case is another version of the same issue. Find a place in the country that can be defended, get some guns and hole up. Y2k would have had the same effect as the worst case here as Y2k worst case meant that for some period of time the banks and atm machines and credit cards were down. One might also get some old silver dollars as they have value (gold comes in to big a chunk who could give you change?) In the worst case the entire world financial system collapses just as the worst case for Y2k had this happen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The gold that we bought before Y2K is worth 4 times as many dollars, the guns haven't rusted, the rations are probably not much less palatable, the candles and lanterns and water purification stuff is unchanged. I'm reminded that there is most likely $100 in ones in a 5 gallon bug out bucket with some 22 bullets and other stuff - wonder if they have become collectible in the last 11 years...

Same reasoning obtains - if the world goes bang our preparation to survive a descent into primitive times is probably pretty meaningless - an attempt to push back the ocean with a rake.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #23

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun happening in the next few weeks. I can't wait! Although I will be vacationing through most of it. Hope I don't have to take my gun and supplies and walk home!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
gone traveling

In the event of a total collapse I think there will be a major die off of everyone who currently can't avoid driving into a swamp when their gps tells them to turn left. Those of us who may not have a place in the mountains stocked with guns and food may still do ok if we retain some basic skills and common sense.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
supposing the worst happens and the US defaults
Sounds like the untimate market timing Q. Once that US defaults, we are all equally screwed. Stay the course.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm hoping they (congress critters) screw around to the last minute.
Interest rates start to move, people and the markets freak out.
I'm gathering cash to buy blue light specials.
It might create a buying opportunity?
Looking for a bright side to this.
Steve
Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I'm hoping they (congress critters) screw around to the last minute. Interest rates start to move, people and the markets freak out.
It might create a buying opportunity? Looking for a bright side to this.
Steve
I'm sure they will. Then at the last minute they will pass some laws that are unpopular (maybe SS/Medicare cuts fit into that category). If/when their constituents object, the excuse will be that in doing so they averted the end of the world as we know it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #28

I don't want to see any cuts for retiree's.
Hope they are able to work things out without going there.
Heck, I don't even want the younger folks to have to work longer.
It sure would be nice if our country took care of SS before dumping money in all these other countries around the world.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't want to see any cuts for retiree's.
According to many, retirees are the major problem. Or perhaps they meant baby boomers.

You might like to read Thomas Friedman's column today in the NY Times "The Clash of Generations": http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/op...7friedman.html

As soon as the younger folks get a bit more politically organized, they are going to start to stiff the older folks who left them with all the bills.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As soon as the younger folks get a bit more politically organized, they are going to start to stiff the older folks who left them with all the bills.
Maybe we shouild kill them before they get us...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Are you trying to pop my "Every things going to be Alright" bubble?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

One point of Friedman's column was the happenings in Greece, Spain, Portugal, etc. The young folks have no jobs and have been put on austerity programs. Look at what Congress is trying to do right now. It is trying to put the young folks on austerity programs while letting the old folks keep spending away.

I'm putting all my money in China where it will be safe.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'm feeling psychic and seeing a biig tongue in cheek.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
As bad as our generation has screwed things up, who could blame them ?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I certainly hope it never happens, but a major economic collapse could cause anarchy similar to New Orleans after Katrina. The cops tooks off to protect their families. So I agree with those who discuss keeping some silver/gold coins around (secure but accessible), several firearms ( hanguns, shotguns, hunting rifle, assult rifle) and know how to use them - e.g. take some NRA training course if needed) for you and family. Food, water,(the most important) then things like toilet paper, fuel, basic medical kit....razor blases, loved that one. I can't stock all this stuff and don't have doomsday bunker...just a suburban towhnouise, Also some things like antibiotics for a med kit have a short life. So I stick with the gold/silver coins and firearms/ammo. Coins to to barter with and firearms for family group protection. My gold/silver is part of my portfolio (actually the best performing part over the last 10 years by far....wish I had bought alot more when 1oz. gold coins were $340 or so.

I'm new here, I'm sure lot's of people will disagree with much of my opinion. That's OK, I kind of balance minimizing expense for basic survival items should a level of anarchy materialize.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

How much did all those gold coins, guns, and ammo help victims of Katrina?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
How much did all those gold coins, guns, and ammo help victims of Katrina?
See post #16, this thread. Most (though not all) conventional "disaster preparations" were ineffective. What really helped was the qualities that Americans have traditionally valued a great deal. You will use all of your ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability, and imagination very effectively. Oh, and hard physical labor, too.

One gun and ammo was helpful for some. I do not like guns but I admit that my neighbor had them and sat in his carport with a shotgun casually laid across his lap all day long during those early days. That probably encouraged some looters to keep on walking. You can't eat gold.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
If things really were to go bad, it's back to Y2K planning. MREs, guns and ammunition will be the currency of choice.
What do you mean "back to..."? We've been prepared for years for just about any situation.

Quote:
I'm hoping they (congress critters) screw around to the last minute.
Interest rates start to move, people and the markets freak out.
It might create a buying opportunity?
Looking for a bright side to this.
Steve
As long as interest rates move higher and faster than inflation. I was hoping interest rates would start rising by the end of this year. It looks like that's just not going to happen.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
See post #16, this thread. Most (though not all) conventional "disaster preparations" were ineffective. What really helped was the qualities that Americans have traditionally valued a great deal. You will use all of your ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability, and imagination very effectively. Oh, and hard physical labor, too.

One gun and ammo was helpful for some. I do not like guns but I admit that my neighbor had them and sat in his carport with a shotgun casually laid across his lap all day long during those early days. That probably encouraged some looters to keep on walking. You can't eat gold.
Very interesting on why guns can be such an effective deterrent. I think the prospect of many days of long hard physical labor is thing that is scariest to me about coping with a disaster. I have found that my tolerance for physical endurance and pain is pretty low. (This was true even when I was in decent physical shape). I tend to just give up earlier than most folks, but maybe adrenaline would kick in.