Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
and we don't have to work 2 part time jobs in retirement--like those in California. We can retire young and not have to work to age 75.

Where do you GET this stuff?

We are retired in CA, and I guess you can say we each have at least 2 part-time jobs. DH cleans the pool and takes care of the yard and keeps me happy, and I tend to planting flowers and being personal assistant to 3 dogs.

I hope we both work at these jobs at least until 75.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
How well I know. My coworker quit his job because of the snakes we ran into while surveying the Addicks Reservoir northwest of Houston. Biggest snakes I've ever seen. I never had the desire to retire in Texas after that.
those were probably cottonmouths - yeah stay away from those

gotta watch out for those on the golf course

not sure why anyone would want to retire in Houston (horrible weather, crime, traffic) unless they have grandkids there or something, like my parents for example

Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
It's nice that our lower cost of living allows us to live well on savings/pensions, etc. and we don't have to work 2 part time jobs in retirement--like those in California.
Yes, that is too true. Most of the retired people here have to have two jobs, usually medical marijuana grower and surf instructor, in order to afford groceries.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
When did NYC or southern Pennsylvania (you mention in the OP that you've "had it with New England winters - even here in southern Pennsylvania gloomy gray skies for 3 months and 2 degrees - no thank you.") become part of New England? Yankees, yes--but New Englanders?
As a born and raised "New Englander" from Connecticut I call people from NY and below and states like PA "easterners" if they live along the Atlantic coast or are east of the Mississippi River. That works all the way down to the Mason Dixon Line then they are "southerners" or "south easterners". It gets messy, but true New Englander's can handle it and know the difference.

When I lived in California for several years (North of LA), when CA "natives" would ask me where I was from, and I said, Connecticut, most did not know where that was. I remember one gal asking if it was in Europe.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #165
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I lived in California for several years (North of LA), when CA "natives" would ask me where I was from, and I said, Connecticut, most did not know where that was. I remember one gal asking if it was in Europe.
Hilarious!! She must have really been something. I can't imagine not knowing where the 50 states are.

On the other topic of part time jobs, I have to say that even here in New Orleans many retirees do seem to have or want a part time job, even though that is something I personally do not intend to do.

Probably the reason they are still working a little bit has nothing to do with the cost of living, since that is pretty low here. I am thinking that probably some people here just don't plan ahead for retirement adequately, because they are too busy diving into their own version of "laissez les bons temps rouler".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hilarious!! She must have really been something. I can't imagine not knowing where the 50 states are.

Ever hear of the term "Valley Girl" ??
Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #167

"Gag me with a spoon."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
"Gag me with a spoon."

Ahhh...."Valspeak"
Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #169
Administrator

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As a born and raised "New Englander" from Connecticut I call people from NY and below and states like PA "easterners" if they live along the Atlantic coast or are east of the Mississippi River. That works all the way down to the Mason Dixon Line then they are "southerners" or "south easterners". It gets messy, but true New Englander's can handle it and know the difference.

Absolutely!
I was born and raised in (of all places) Brooklyn NY.
I remember once seeing a line in the New Yorker that summed it up well.
Quote:
Anything west of the Hudson River is camping out.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Boy, you said it!
+1
Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes, part time work hardly feels like work at all. It just feels good. I work two days a week in northern California at the local community college horticulture dept. It's gratifying to mentor the students, who really need some guidance. It's all too easy to become a pot grower where we are, but if we can just get them on track to grow food instead! Or learn how to open your own nursery! As a certified plant nerd, this stuff is important to me. If you can find good part time "work" like this, I say, go for it, wherever you end up retiring!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ever hear of the term "Valley Girl" ??

My DS lives in LA (was in SF before that) and is amazed at the number of people he has met who have no idea of geography outside of California. He's lived in NY, VA & MA.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #174
Confused about dryer sheets

Why not move to the happiest place in the world?

Get happy in the world's happiest countries - CNN.com

Switzerland!
Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
My DS lives in LA (was in SF before that) and is amazed at the number of people he has met who have no idea of geography outside of California. He's lived in NY, VA & MA.

I have family in western Massachusetts. On recent visits I found a surprising number of their friends (and, sad to say, even some of my own family) have no idea of geography outside of New England & NY state.

Ignorance and insularity are not unique to California.

Next generalization?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #176
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Don't come to NC. It is terrible here.

That is my new mantra! The population growth and new development over the last 25 years where I am in NC is out of control.

I will remain here after retirement because I have family here, but let's do our best to stem the flow of new arrivals!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:56 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
a surprising number of their friends (and, sad to say, even some of my own family) have no idea of geography outside of New England & NY state.

Ignorance and insularity are not unique to California.

Next generalization?
OK, here's a fun generalization.

We are in the process of moving.
Current home is in Ohio. OK, picture that and form an impression.

New home is in Kentucky. Same stereotype, or did you alter your impression a bit?

Details: New home is less than nine miles (straight line distance) from the old one. Plus the Kentucky home is actually north of the Ohio home.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One thing we can conclude is stereotypes abound, and can be found everywhere one looks.

Try living in WV!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #179

[QUOTE=W2R;1585563] Hilarious!! She must have really been something. I can't imagine not knowing where the 50 states are.

[/QUOTE

There are many people who do not realize that WV is a separate state from VA. Many of those people seem to work for ESPN!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I can't imagine not knowing where the 50 states are
You may find this hard to believe, but there are a LOT of folks who think New Mexico is another country. Seriously!