Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did a thread on that several years ago. I am also a fiscal conservative (social moderate, environmental liberal), but the most interesting cities to me are anything but. Asheville, Portland, Austin, Berkeley, Boulder, Burlington, Chapel Hill, San Francisco, etc are WAY more interesting places to me than any majorly 'conservative cities.' YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I did a thread on that several years ago. I am also a fiscal conservative (social moderate, environmental liberal), but the most interesting cities to me are anything but. Asheville, Portland, Austin, Berkeley, Boulder, Burlington, Chapel Hill, San Francisco, etc are WAY more interesting places to me than any majorly 'conservative cities.' YMMV

This is not a snarky comment at all, but a question... I have often heard the term "fiscally conservative, social liberal". But they appear to be mutually not compatible to me. A socially liberal government would need high taxes to support all the issues. Unless the meaning is liberal in non-taxable issues such as gay rights, sports betting, relaxed drug laws, etc as opposed to increased welfare benefits and other low income subsidies supported by increased taxation?
Like I said I was just curious, not criticizing. And I have no room to criticize as I guess I would have to be described as a "fiscally conservative, libertarian".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I've started a new topic because we've come to far afield. The Knoxville area seems to be a viable option, we vacationed in an incredible cabin in the hills near pigeon forge a few years back.
Since you're thinking there, I think you're missing the boat if you don't go 75 miles to the other side of the mountains & check out Asheville - as I said in the other thread. Upstate SC ain't bad either.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is not a snarky comment at all, but a question... I have often heard the term "fiscally conservative, social liberal". But they appear to be mutually not compatible to me. A socially liberal government would need high taxes to support all the issues. Unless the meaning is liberal in non-taxable issues such as gay rights, sports betting, relaxed drug laws, etc as opposed to increased welfare benefits and other low income subsidies supported by increased taxation?
Like I said I was just curious, not criticizing. And I have no room to criticize as I guess I would have to be described as a "fiscally conservative, libertarian".

I am not sure about Midpack's stance, but you have put your finger on mine. I don't care what Bobby and Sue and Gertrude like to do for fun, but they have to be self financed or I would rather they lived where they were in someone else's pocket.

I've found that it helps to stay off of social media. There are so many interesting people including very attractive females where a fiscal conservative is much happier not knowing any details of their political attitudes.

Ha
Old 04-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am not sure about Midpack's stance, but you have put your finger on mine. I don't care what Bobby and Sue and Gertrude like to do for fun, but they have to be self financed or I would rather they lived where they were in someone else's pocket.

I've found that it helps to stay off of social media. There are so many interesting people including very attractive females where a fiscal conservative is much happier not knowing any details of their political attitudes.

Ha

That is the way I pegged it, but I never really had a true interpretation. Nongovernmental involvement Liberalism. That resonates with me also.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
No snark taken, and I understand your point.

At the risk of inducing a bacon odor, you'll note I said I'm a social moderate, not liberal. WRT social spending, while I definitely believe in personal responsibility, I also know to some extent 'there for the grace of (insert chosen diety) go all of us.' A wealthy developed society has some responsibility to the legitimately less fortunate IMO, but where I'd draw that line is not where an ardent liberal might draw it. An even easier example IMO, we can't spend too much on combat veterans in my opinion, we owe them our best.

OTOH, Tea Party fiscal talking points don't appeal to me either. Just my view...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No snark taken. At the risk of inducing a bacon odor, you'll note I said I'm a social moderate, not liberal. WRT social spending, while I believe in personal responsibility, I also know that 'there for the grace of (insert chosen diety) go all of us.' A developed society has some responsibility to the legitimately less fortunate IMO, but where I'd draw that line is not where an ardent liberal might draw it. Tea Party fiscal talking points don't appeal to me either. Just my view...

Yes, I should not have conflated your post with Ha's, but they both got me thinking.... Which can be dangerous for me.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #28

Ray: I have traveled throughout East Tennessee, Western NC, North Georgia and much of Virginia extensively on business--before retiring.
Tennessee property taxes remain relatively low, but Tennesseans really come out ahead with no state income taxes. VA and NC are not so kind on taxation.
Attractive cities in Upper East Tennessee are:
Johnson City is a university city with 40% of their population from elsewhere. No one ever will leave after living there.
Jonesborough, Greenville, Morristown Jefferson City and Dandridge are also nice places with good societies.
There are also some great planned real estate developments on the incredibly beautiful Little Tennessee River around Loudon, TN and Vonore, TN--20 mi. southwest of Knoxville and Maryville.
Another beautiful community with a great restaurant and artistic community is Asheville, NC. It's a special place, but more expensive than the above communities.
My sister spends her summers in Banner-Elk, NC, and the 2 highest ski resorts on the East Coast are there. The NW NC mountains and Boone, NC area is very nice.

While it's a great place to retire, what I like about the region is the people. They're very nice, honest and quick to laugh. They're special, no matter what their economic level is. You just don't see this everywhere.

The important thing is to decide what area you'd like to live in and get a local real estate agent to show you around.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
... but Tennesseans really come out ahead with no state income taxes. VA and NC are not so kind on taxation.
TN does have a 6% tax on investment income over $1250/yr.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Only as counter-devious as any devious site I encounter...
Chrome will maintain two profiles, one real and one fictitious. Autofill works wonders for the devious!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Have never lived in Tennessee, but it's a nice place to visit. 😎 I go on a houseboat excursion every summer to Dale Hollow Lake, on the KY/TN border about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Nice lake and scenery, and no problems with the folks in the area, but a bit more rural than I'd care for in terms of living there fulltime.

As for politics, as long as an armed militia or radical terrorist group doesn't live next door, I'd prefer to stay out of others' politics, and they stay out of mine... My observation is that the more toward the ends of the spectrum people are, the less they seem to know about history, civics, and economics.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
TN does have a 6% tax on investment income over $1250/yr.
It's only investment income from sources from outside the state of Tennessee. I once had to pay it on money kept in a money market kept at State Street in Chicago. If the funds were kept in a TN bank--no income tax.

I have a friend that owns a large hamburger chain in another state. He stays in Florida at least 1/2 the year and in Memphis the rest of the year--and documents it. He doesn't have to pay TN state income tax by being a Florida resident.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Have never lived in Tennessee, but it's a nice place to visit. 😎 I go on a houseboat excursion every summer to Dale Hollow Lake, on the KY/TN border about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. Nice lake and scenery, and no problems with the folks in the area, but a bit more rural than I'd care for in terms of living there fulltime.

As for politics, as long as an armed militia or radical terrorist group doesn't live next door, I'd prefer to stay out of others' politics, and they stay out of mine... My observation is that the more toward the ends of the spectrum people are, the less they seem to know about history, civics, and economics.
Close to the fabulous Dale Hollow is Tennessee Tech and Cookeville, TN. It has culture and an interstate that can get you into Nashville in 1 hr. 15 minutes. Dale Hollow is to the north, and Center Hill lake is to the west--both absolutely beautiful lakes.

Crossville is another city that's very, very popular with retirees from The North. Fairfield Glade has 3 18 hole golf courses and 2 country clubs. There are also a couple of other golf courses in the city. They're also famous for their Summer Stock theatre. It too sits on I-40, and is an hour from Knoxville.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Where to retire II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Close to the fabulous Dale Hollow is Tennessee Tech and Cookeville, TN. It has culture and an interstate that can get you into Nashville in 1 hr. 15 minutes. Dale Hollow is to the north, and Center Hill lake is to the west--both absolutely beautiful lakes.

Crossville is another city that's very, very popular with retirees from The North. Fairfield Glade has 3 18 hole golf courses and 2 country clubs. There are also a couple of other golf courses in the city. They're also famous for their Summer Stock theatre. It too sits on I-40, and is an hour from Knoxville.

I've bought a fair amount of beer in the Walmart in Cookeville... 😬

We usually rent from Wisdom, about eight miles out of Albany, KY. Not much there...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote