Join Early Retirement Today

Where would you put extra cash to generate income
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Where would you put extra cash to generate income

I am 1 year from ER and need advice where to put $1.5 million to generate income.
We already have $3.5 million in equities, but sitting on too much cash.
DW retired last year at 52 yrs and I will be 60 next year.
We have kept track of expenses for the past year and looks like we need approx 135,000 for annual expenses.
We still have a 15 yr old daughter at home. House is paid for and worth 600k, we also have 1 rental that we generate 700.00 per month profit.

Any advice on where to put the cash would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
jhbstp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

Lots of places to park cash.... It's the generating income party that is hard. You could ladder CDs, or buy TIPs.... But that isn't a lot of income.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless there's a compelling reason to do something different I suggest start with target asset allocation based on your own inputs and treat the money as all the same. So if you're 60/35/5 or 40/40/20 or whatever.

The other 1.5m feels different but it isn't really

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So right now you are 70/30 or 70/0/30. Are you comfortable with that AA?

If so, what I would do is put 250k in an online savings account (mine earns .95%) and arrange a monthly $11k transfer to the bank account you use to pay your bills. Then invest the remaining $1,250k in CDs or target maturity bond funds or target maturity muni bond funds if you are in a high tax bracket.

If once you ER you change your equity elections to take dividends in cash rather than reinvest dividends then between dividend income and the $250k cash allocation you should be able to live on those for 3-4 years if the stuff hit the fan and you needed to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote