which fund for ira

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
it is the time of year I put money into an ira. everything so far is wellesley and wellington. I was looking for something a little more lucrative. the two I have now are all right but no great returns. looking for something with a little more income going forward, but not to risky. thought maybe total stock market index. any ideas?

Don't chase returns. Stick with an AA across all of your investments, and then tune it for your accounts for tax management. Total Stock Market index is a very tax efficient fund and a taxable account is generally better to keep there, though it depends on your whole portfolio. Not clear if you are really looking for income, or better returns. Those are just some things to think about. I wouldn't give anyone advice on how to invest a fragment of their portfolio without knowing their whole picture and investment strategy.

it is the time of year I put money into an ira. everything so far is wellesley and wellington. I was looking for something a little more lucrative. the two I have now are all right but no great returns. looking for something with a little more income going forward, but not to risky. thought maybe total stock market index. any ideas?

I'm sure you will get the same answer from multiple people here--stick with an index fund.

But, no risk, no reward.

I can make some suggestions that don't involve index funds.

What brokerage firm do you use? What funds can you access?

Is this a Roth IRA or a traditional, tax deferred IRA? (And to be clear, it's not a 401k, correct?)

One time contribution at tax time or ongoing contributions?

How much money per year?

What's your time horizon? That is, when would you want to start withdrawing money?

Last edited:
I'd suggest that you need to share more (age, retirement status, etc) to see if you have an appropriate asset allocation. Right now you are about 50/50 which is pretty conservative.

What is the time frame for this additional money? If longer term, I would just go with one of the total market or S&P type index funds. You can get the zero fee funds from Fidelity. Yes, they have more risk being all equities. As others suggested, evaluate your allocation and risk tolerance with respect to your time frame and expected purpose for this money.

Are you retired ? or young and still working for another couple of decades. That would greatly determine the answer.

You have given too little info, so if you want to up your stock amount (more reward more risk) then go either VTI, or the increase the wellesley %

I am 72, been retired for quite a few years, have always been conservative with investments. cd's, cash, low risk mortgage loans, one rental house. I am putting a 6500. a year in my wife's ira to bring my taxes down, so I thought I would like to put a few thousand in something more risky to see how it works out.

I am 72, been retired for quite a few years, have always been conservative with investments. cd's, cash, low risk mortgage loans, one rental house. I am putting a 6500. a year in my wife's ira to bring my taxes down, so I thought I would like to put a few thousand in something more risky to see how it works out.
Can't say what you should do, but here is what we do. 80-90% is in broad index funds.

• In my Roth is int'l value and VGSLX (REIT fund).
  • In her Roth it is Wellesley and small cap value (VG fund).
  • In her IRA (not much there) I used VGSTX Vanguard Star fund (60/40 AA I think).
I'd say the more risky funds are her small cap value and my REIT. Overall our AA is tilted 10% to small/mid cap, and 5% to REIT.

If you want to go more risk than a S&P market index type fund, put the extra money into a NASDAQ index type fund. Be aware it will have more volatility and up/down swings than the overall market tends to have.

For a little more risk you could try VTI, or
If you think over the next 10 years , the rest of the world will catch up to USA market, meaning you believe in reversion to the mean, then VXUS
Finally if you think Technology is here to stay and not just a fad, then QQQ https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/qqq/etf-detail would be good.

I have various amounts in all 3. Along with a bunch of other things.

Which brokerage house carries your IRA? Is it Vanguard?

Back
Top Bottom