Which International fund is less risky?
I am trying to decide which Vanguard International fund is more or less risky:
* VTMGX (Vang Developed Markets Index), or
* VTIAX (Vang Tot Intl Stock)
Of course, Vanguard gives them both a "5" in their "Risk Potential" category, so maybe it's a moot question. Still, here are the other factors I am trying to weigh:
1) Expense ratio: 0.09% vs. 0.14% gives VTMGX an advantage because it's cheaper.
2) Number of stocks: 1369 vs. 5673 gives VTIAX an advantage, because it's more diversified.
3) Taxes: VTMGX used to be called a "tax managed" fund, but they have recently dropped that description, so I'm not sure how to compare these.
4) Countries: VTMGX is [60% Europe, 40% Pacific], while VTIAX is (approx) [45% Europe, 30% Pacific, 18% Emerging Markets, 7% Canada]. Advantage?
This last one is tricky (for me). One might say the VTIAX wins simply because it's more diversified, but it's hard not to "guess" that Europe will stay flat and Emerging Markets won't be flat (up or down?).
5) Other "risk" factors I'm not considering?
I appreciate your thoughts on this.