Join Early Retirement Today

Which tax form to report a lump sum distribution from non-qualified def comp plan?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which tax form to report a lump sum distribution from non-qualified def comp plan?

Doing my 2016 taxes. I changed jobs last year and received a lump sum distribution from my NQDC plan. Which form should I report the income on? I just have the stub that says to retain it for tax purposes and that it's being reported to the IRS. From what I've read online some say it should be included on the W2 but that's not the case. Some say to report it on a 1099-R. I participated in the NQDC plan until the last paycheck so both the deferrals and the distribution happened in the same tax year if that matters.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you're talking about deferred comp, isn't simply taxed as ordinary income and show up on your W-2?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Right, from reading on Google some say it's supposed to show up on the W2 but that's not the case for me. Unless they'll send an amended W2 later?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

And you received the distribution before 12/31/16??
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Yes, middle of 2016 when I left the last employer.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Found this on TurboTax website. Sounds like it's not subject to FICA (I was surprised by that) so 1099-Misc is the way to go.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/27...rawal-reported
Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

Cool, thanks! I also sent TaxAct an email to see if they might be able to answer my question or at least validate the TurboTax answer.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Reading an IRS site it implies there should have been withholding on the lump sum: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corpo...chniques-guide This audit guide on NQDC implies that they should be reported on the W2. With appropriate adjustments to the medicare and social security wage boxes.
Actually the best way to check is to the the instructions for form W-2 from the IRS web site. It says on page 11 that NQDC comp goes on a W2 and provides details of what other issues need to be tracked.

Back in 2004 when I retired I was able to defer the severance to 2005 and 2006. (from a MegaCorp) these showed up on the w-2s issued for those years as well as social security taxes on the amounts, which actually was a good thing as it added 2 more years to my Social Security earnings period taking it up to 30 years.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

If the lump Sum was directly rolled over into an IRA, do I need to file any tax forms? Thx.
Retire2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

nqdc you probably paid fica annually as it was accrued

but yes, you will owe fed/state tax on it
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
nqdc you probably paid fica annually as it was accrued

but yes, you will owe fed/state tax on it
That's what I'm reading...the FICA was paid when the contributions happened but the money was sheltered from the income tax. Now that I took the distribution I'd now owe the income taxes on the entire sum (which includes a few years of contributions). Still no response from TaxAct yet as to how to report it.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

pretty sure it's ordinary income but i could be wrong
Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #13

So TaxAct reponded with:

A review of data entered indicates that you may have already resolved your issue of reporting the lump sum distribution from the retirement plan at your former employer. The distribution should be reported to you on Form 1099-R.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

look at the bottom of the first page

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099r.pdf
Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #15

Thanks! sounds pretty clear, I'll create a new W2 in TaxAct and report it there. I'll use the payer info of the account management company rather than my employer so the IRS can match up the tax ID info. Somehow I get the feeling the IRS is going to come back to me on this one.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would just wait until you get the W2 from the payer. Should be there by the end of the month.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #17

Normally you should get a W2 and it will indicate that it is an NQ plan distribution. I think there is a value that goes in Box 1 and Box 11 but I am working from memory since I haven't looked at my W2 since I filed in October.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OP, I think you're putting the cart before the horse... your former employer should report it to you and to the IRS on Form W-2 (or perhaps Form 1099)... for them to decide... and then you report it consistent with the way they report it (unless they screw it up... in which case that is a whole different question).

Given that it is so early in the new year... why are you jumping the gun?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #19

No worries, I guess I'll wait until I get something something else from the former employer. Since they already sent me the W2 without the NQDC stuff on it I presumed that's all I'd get. Just want to know how much of a hole I'm in for the taxes this time
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
No worries, I guess I'll wait until I get something something else from the former employer. Since they already sent me the W2 without the NQDC stuff on it I presumed that's all I'd get. Just want to know how much of a hole I'm in for the taxes this time
You can figure that out without a W2. It is ordinary income and gets reported on Line 7.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote