Join Early Retirement Today

Which to chose?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Which to chose?

I've finally got my TSP funds parked in Vanguard MM Prime. While it is tempting to leave them there and take the no-brainer 5+ percent, I think I should go for a little more. I have been watching Wellington, Wellesley, Life Strategy Coinservative and Moderate and Target 2015 and have considered a mix of all of these. I have several questions: Is there too much duplication in these; should I pick one or two at the most; are there better options. Wellington has a $25,000 limit for new investors. Thanks.

setab
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Which to chose?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would avoid doing a mix of all of them, you will just be duplicating many of the positions without any benefit.

I don't know how old you are or what other holdings you have. Based on the limited info I do have I would say this...

If this plan is the majority of your holdings I would put most of your money into the target retirement fund and put maybe 10% into Wellesley for a value tilt. Even after their adjustments I find many of the target funds too conservative

If you have a lot of holdings outside the plan I would use the tax deferral to hold your fixed income. Thats what I do.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 59 and have some limited outside holdings and a DB pension plan.

setab
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I expect to leave most of my funds in the TSP, did you transfer all your TSP funds? I would have left some to use the G(bond/cash/stable value) fund for bond holdings. The main reason I would move funds to VG (or anyone else) would be if I expected to roll them over into a Roth IRA or if I want to add asset classes not avialable in the TSP. So I would first look at those asset classes like REITs, value funds and specific market foreign funds.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I rolled it all over. I wanted more control over it than the TSP allows and I wanted to add to it. The Vanguard MM Prime can provide the same return as the G fund and similar stability for my purposes.

setab