Join Early Retirement Today

Which Vanguard or Fidelity Fund for Growth?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Which Vanguard or Fidelity Fund for Growth?

I've just retired at 63, my wife will retire in a few months at 59, and we have met with our Fidelity rep to help us run their calculator (which I have since become pro at) to run the numbers again. Naturally, he was selling us on their Advisory Services for 1.1%, but he did bring up a good point. He felt that about one third of our investable assets should be left untouched to grow and the cap gains, interest and dividend are automatically reinvested.

I wanted to sweep 3% off everything but it would probably be prudent to have one third stay and grow. However, I don't want to do the AA myself with just index funds, I can't stay on top of it. Does anyone have a suggestion or should I just default to Wellington or Wellesley? Are there funds specifically for growth?

I've been on their sites and there's a lot of balanced funds which don't seem to be pure growth. Thanks for your advice.

P.S. I am getting paranoid about the average duration of ones in the W's at 6.5 years with rising interest rates. Why do they do that? I'd prefer shorter durations for bonds, and that is making me skeptical about the venerable Ws.

Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not just create your own "W" with Fido's FSTVX & FSITX?

Lower ER than either W and still only two funds. Also gives you more control than a blended fund if it's in an after tax account.

Doesn't help with your bond duration worry though; FSITX is just a tad below 6 yrs.

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much you distribute vs how much you reinvest is going to depend on your income needs. You should think about a comfortable AA and then read up about withdrawal methods.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/With...ing_withdrawal

Lots of people use Wellesley for income and you could add some total stock market and international equity for growth. 50/50 Wellesley/Wellington would be a an easy couch potato portfolio, but not very diverse.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote