Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?
The authorized dealer where I purchased the car 28 19.18%
Another authorized dealer for the make of my car 18 12.33%
A national/state franchise shop, e.g. Sears, if so name it 14 9.59%
An independent local mechanic 41 28.08%
I do it myself 45 30.82%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?

We purchased a new 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan last summer. I'm trying to decide where to have it serviced. Does it make a big difference to resale value to have all maintenance done at an authorized dealer? Do dealers rip you off? This is the first new car I have ever owned so kinda learning the ropes here. I have serviced my own vehicles in the past but don't have the time to do it anymore. Thanks for participating 8)
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who does the scheduled maintenance services on your automobile?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a 2000 Camry Solara that has 33,000 miles on it. I checked "local or state franchise" because I take it to Spee-Dee, a local oil change and lube place, every six months or so. They change the oil, filters, and such, check the belts, battery, tires, windshield wipers, and so on. They seem pretty familiar with the scheduled services and occasionally suggest something and I always have whateveritis done. I had the first few servicings done at my Toyota dealer, and they are a terrible rip-off so after about 6 months I started going to Spee-Dee.

That's all it has needed for the past 7 years. It has never broken down in any way, even once. It did need a new battery once, which I got at Autozone (and Autozone installed it for me, too).

I will probably trade it in on a new one just like it when I retire. By then it will be 10 years old and will have about 45,000 miles on it. At that point, I doubt that the servicing record will make a whole lot of difference.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is a mixed bag: Oil changes are done by Jiffy Lube, factory recommended maintenance (e.g. 60,000 miles, 90,000 miles, etc.) are done by a Lexus dealer.

Grumpy
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #4

A (same brand) dealer during the warranty period. After that I do it. Sold my last car to DS at 300,000 Km, passed safety on first test.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

We use the dealers because they have the electronic diagnostic equipment and their charges are acceptable (though not the cheapest). We do not follow the strict cycle and we will have an oil change do independently.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I was having my Camry Solara serviced at Toyota but they have tried to rip me off too many times .Suggesting unneeded repairs and making it sound like my car will fall apart if I did not have it done .A few months ago I took it in for a front end alignment and I told them by power window was not working .They took off the panel and told me they'd have to order a new motor for $425 .Funny thing is just taking off the panel fixed the problem .The motor works fine .That was my last trip to the dealer .I love Toyotas but hate the service crap.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I use an independent shop. I think the temptation for dealers to do unnecessary work is almost irresistible since many of them don't have much of a profit margin on the cars they sell. I would hate to be in the new car business today with the readily available price/cost information a click away on the internet, and you have to believe it has really hurt margins for many dealers. The result is their maintenance shop has become a huge profit center for them and that's an even greater reason you could be sold services and repairs you don't really need.

Of course this isn't true of all dealers, but it keeps me away from them for anything other than warranty work.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #8

If by scheduled you mean oil changes then I have a local shop do that. But if you mean tune ups, periodic checks and the like then the answer is none. My 2005 Ford Focus requires NO services for 100K miles, not plugs, air filters, coolant or anything. At 100K its just a plug & coolant change and go for another 50K miles. Just no scheduled services anymore.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have found there is little difference between dealership and local outfits. Both do an excellent job. Even dealers compete with jiffylube on price. Our neighbor owns an auto service center. His work and prices are right out of "the book", just like the dealer's prices. But he doesn't give a free loaner car like the dealer. He will run a taxi service to drop/pick you at/up work/home though.

On the web and elsewhere, it is reported that Toyota engines sometimes are ruined due to a design flaw. Toyota disputes this and claims lack of changing the oil. About the only way around this is to have the oil changed in your Toyota at the dealer on schedule.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We bring our cars in to an independent shop every six months for fresh oil and filters and whatever scheduled maintenance is due. Makes for very reliable transportation. I keep the receipts of the visits for a couple of reasons. When a car is under warranty that’s proof you’ve had oil changes and such done. When selling a car it’s nice to show prospective buyers that you’ve had excellent maintenance performed on the car.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

After getting the screw job from the local dealers, I use an excellent local independent. Does everything right, doesn't rip me off or push unnecessary work, and prices are fair. I don't care about maintenance records after the factorywarranty is up, since I will keep the cars until I have to pay someone to take them.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Over the 18 years I've owned the car: All of the above.

Last 5 years to an independent (which used to be a Ford franchise) once a year.

Mufflers and sometimes other stuff from Midas (am on 8th muffler) and they really do replace them for free if it's the only thing that needs replacing.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
If by scheduled you mean oil changes then I have a local shop do that. But if you mean tune ups, periodic checks and the like then the answer is none. My 2005 Ford Focus requires NO services for 100K miles, not plugs, air filters, coolant or anything. At 100K its just a plug & coolant change and go for another 50K miles. Just no scheduled services anymore.
yakers,

I've found that when I wait until the full 100k miles to change plugs, they are very difficult to remove. (Based on a sample of the one time I did that!) Since four quality plugs cost only about $10, I change them at 50k miles or so. I also change the fuel and air filter. Odds are, it's fine to just let it go. But that's what I do.

I also keep time in mind. For example, I have a '99 F150 that I use only for fishing trips and has only about 35k highway miles on it, despite being 8 years old. I changed the plugs and filters based on the 8 years rather than the milage. Again, cost is minimal.

I try to do most maintenance items myself, although I've given up on some as not worth it anymore. For example, after changing my own oil for decades, the $10 - $15 dollars I save doesn't seem worth it anymore. This may also be related to my rapidly approaching geezer status.......putting the car up on the ramps and crawling under just hasn't seemed as appealing to me these past few years!

I use a local Jiffy Lube for oil changes. The owner actually runs the shop himself on weekdays and knows I want just an oil change.....don't try to sell me filters, wiper blades, etc.......and I always have a coupon! He's also pretty good about quickly checking the CV joints, exhaust system, shocks, etc., while he's under there. Like I said, crawling under the car just isn't as appealing to me anymore as it used to be!

I have an independent mechanic I've been doing business with for years and that is very handy. For example, on one of the cars, the fuel filter is a task to change from above. So, I'll buy one and go to my mechanic and we'll run it up on the lift and change the filter. We're done in ten minutes and I hand him a twenty......no receipt, no Visa card. Just hand him a twenty and shake hands.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #14

We use all of the above. We have a friend that worked for a dealer for years, we take it to him, he lets us know what it is and what it should cost, we then take it to the dealer and don't let them pull any extras on us. If things arn't under warranty we let our friend do the work. Local lube place for oil changes and we do what ever minor things we can handle ourselves. Dh does all the oil changes and maintenence on the Harleys, repairs are done by a friend.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We usually use a local repair chain (Purcell). They are in walking distance and have always done a good job. They tell us what is needed and what is optional. We also use Jiffy Lube when we are in a hurry.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I don't care about maintenance records after the factorywarranty is up, since I will keep the cars until I have to pay someone to take them.
Apparently, you will pay less if you have all maintenance records.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
Apparently, you will pay less if you have all maintenance records.
But basically, I don't much care. By the time I am done with my cars, they are worth $1000 if I am lucky. 10% either way is negligible, in the grand scheme of things.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #18

BMW - All maintenance is included in the price of the car.

Honda S2000 - Do it myself. The dealer does not have specific diagnostic equipment for your car, don't buy into their lies. Anybody can buy a generic ODBII scanner and get the codes off their car.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Anybody can buy a generic ODBII scanner and get the codes off their car.

You betcha! If you've paid two times to have someone read a check engine light code, and found out you need to tighten your fuel cap, you've already paid as much as a basic ODBII costs.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #20

I use the dealership I bought the car at.
If the car sucks, I won't buy from the dealer again and won't recomend them to friends. If the service is sub-par or I get cheated I won't buy from the dealer again, nor recomend the dealer to friends.

The dealer knows this (I told them). So there are consequences to the dealer if the service or product are poor.