Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

The wife and I both grew up poor. Whatever we do not need thru our end, we want our daughter to have and to benefit from our lifetime efforts (not some government bureaucrat).
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'll probably leave it all to DH's next wife.
LOL now that was funny.

I plan on spending it myself. Mostly likely I will have two properties that my son's will inherit but the cash I fully plan on spending down.

if I do really well there are a few causes that I enjoy supporting.

dh and I did not believe in leaving large wads of cash to children. I don't have any grandkids right now but if/when I do I will set up something for them so they can go to college
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #83

1/3 each to DW's 2 (so far) grand nephews..annuity at age 25 for each... 1/3 to my useless nephew who's now 42 going on 12. Disregarding my niece who I haven't had contact with in 18 years. Super small family on both sides. Just now redoing wills.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #84

my answer is ever changing. I've lived with my BF for now 6 years, but still not really looking to marry; ie if I am alive, I don't want to split 50/50 if we seperate; however if I die.. not sure I care. I'm right now at 50% to BF if we are still together at time of death, a set $ for each niece/nephew/great niece/nephew, 20% to a charity, and the remainder to my parents. I know my parents will give the money to my siblings, so they are covered. However; the longer I live with my BF, the more he will likely inherit with some money always reserved to help my nieces/nephews as I feel my job as godparent is to help provide for them in some form to help them out.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

No kids.

Husband is an only child and no close relatives at all.

I have sister and nephew (her son), but we are not close, and I will not be leaving either of them anything.

We're leaning towards creating a scholarship at my father's college in his name with at least half of whatever we end up with, because I inherited from him enough to create our FI nest egg.

The other half would probably go to charities we like - probably the local animal shelter and a rescue group.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No children but do have two nephews and a niece. 1/3 to each. Will give to charities along the way.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

We reviewed our will in 2012 and will review again in 2016 as some things have changed. Thanks for the reminder.
Other than all to remaining spouse, our kids would inherit. In the case of a wipeout we have designated that a majority would got to 3 charities that we feel strongly about and have a positive influence in our community. The remaining amount going to siblings and nephews/nieces, whether they will use it wisely or not. At least they will have fun...
Asher Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
My DH doesn't have a will (doh!). Everything he has would go to me;
That's correct only if you don't have children.

Intestate Succession in Virginia | Nolo.com
Old 09-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife was the beneficiary of my estate, but she died in her 40s. So it's going to be my next wife or girlfriend, if I can find a good one, otherwise I'll think of something. :d
Free_at_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:54 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have parents or children. My will leaves it all to my brother but I have beneficiaries on ROTH and IRA so the ROTH goes to my long term boyfriend and the IRA split between favorite niece and favorite nephew, siblings.

I will get a new will someday bypassing my brother since he is 66 and not well leave his wife something but most to his son and daughter something to his grand children too still leave boyfriend the ROTH or at least half of it. He is 68 and not well enough to outlive me probably so 100K would be nice for him.

I hope not to die for 30 years but I am 67 if I live long enough I might leave several million but will have outlived my generation and the kids will be 75 or so hope they don't wait for the money.
I am giving them gifts now like a paying for college for my brother's grandson and gave his daughter 16K this year and his son 5K, why wait until they are too old to use the money?
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

It's interesting to see what people have planned.

We have two kids to whom we hope to leave something, and we have also lived a life of giving generously to church and charity.

We decided that church and charity will get 10% of any amount up to $2 million 2012 dollars, and 20% of anything above that amount. Our trust is directed to set up a charitable foundation with our two kids and another trusted friend as the directors. We want our kids to continue to think about how we would want our charitable contributions to be spent.

The kids or their kids will split the portion that doesn't go to charity.

The trust attorney suggested that the potential amount is enough to justify a separate foundation, but I've been thinking about changing it to use one of the donor-advised funds at Schwab or Fidelity. Expenses and paperwork would be less that way.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

With the help of our attorney we have set up wills, trusts etc. The money will eventually end up in trusts for our children so they can live on the income generated - principal reductions would need to be approved by the trustee. Since the money is never in their name - it can't be lost in a divorce. So hopefully I will provide income for my children so they can pursue a career that they love and not worry about how much it pays. The children are still young and have no idea about this so they are working hard to make good grades, get into a good university etc.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #93

Assuming DW predeceases me, current thinking is a Norse Funeral as commanded by Odin atop a pyre of $100 bills to be lit by a lone $10,000 bill...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Please invite me this, Lars, if I happen to outlive you! It sounds amazing!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #95

Sarah of SC: by all means! Though I was honestly searching for some response with "over my dead body" but couldn't quite work it out! 😉

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

We have told the kids they will get nothing. We have told our DD in jest we intend to move in with her. We have yet to see their best at money management. I ain't so hot myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Please invite me this, Lars, if I happen to outlive you! It sounds amazing!

Me too. I'll be the guy standing downwind with a respirator mask and a butterfly net.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #98

First 100% to DW (or me if I'm the survivor) then we have two boys, 50/50 except for some smaller charitable donations.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have a target for my estate, but I recently updated my estate plan to reflect current circumstances. I am unmarried and child-free, so I really had to think hard about how to divide my assets in the event I pass away suddenly.

Retirement accounts go to charities via beneficiary.
Apartment goes to girlfriend.
Savings bonds to girlfriend via beneficiary.
Rest of estate goes to a dear friend, my siblings and their kids.

I prepared a summary of all my accounts with instructions and contact info to make things as easy as possible for my executor. Executing an estate can be a real pain in the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Even if DH's next wife has been his mistress for the last 12 years?
Well, if so the mistress is even more deserving, as she has been waiting patiently all this time as a 2nd class citizen. No?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote