Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Me too. I'll be the guy standing downwind with a respirator mask and a butterfly net.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Please invite me this, Lars, if I happen to outlive you! It sounds amazing!
Would you also like to watch the part where they did terrible things to the female thrall who was sacrificed to follow her master into the afterlife to serve him?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_funeral.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Would you also like to watch the part where they did terrible things to the female thrall who was sacrificed to follow her master into the afterlife to serve him?

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_funeral.
For those of you who are not motivated quite enough to go to Wikipedia to read about the Norse funeral, but are curious nevertheless:

"...Then the girl [thrall]was pulled into the tent and the men started to beat on the shields so her screams could not be heard. Six men entered the tent to have intercourse with the girl, after which they forced her onto her master's bed. Two men grabbed her hands, and two men her wrists. The angel of death [an old woman] put a rope around her neck and while two men pulled the rope, the old woman stabbed the girl between her ribs with a knife.."

"…Finally, they sacrificed a hen and a cock."

Note: Wikipedia doesn’t mention how the cock is sacrificed, but my guess is, there is also a lot of screaming going on.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #104
Administrator

Somebody needs a nap
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a great thread. I am not married and have no kids. My parents will probably go before I do, my brother is very very well off (multiple homes, Net Jet) so nothing goes to him.

So perhaps scattered between friends, who don't expect anything but would be happy to have it. And to my favorite dachshund rescue organization.

And I am embarrassed to say I have not even developed a trust or will (hides under desk).
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

I feel like Lars is going to do a kinder, gentler version of the Norse funeral. Except maybe for the chicken part, I do like fried chicken after a long service.

But I now know better than to attend any funerary services for redduck and NW-Bound, lol.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I feel like Lars is going to do a kinder, gentler version of the Norse funeral...
That's what you think. Better to ask to make sure.

Quote:
But I now know better than to attend any funerary services for redduck and NW-Bound, lol.
I don't know what my friend redduck has in mind, but for me, just a simple service followed by cremation. And I am sure my wife will have a vegetarian meal for the family, so that no animal is killed for the occasion.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #108

I'm going to leave it to the people of this forum, however, I will need you to send me $29.95 to cover shipping and handling.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I'm going to leave it to the people of this forum, however, I will need you to send me $29.95 to cover shipping and handling.
Is that gonna be via Western Union or Money Order?
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #110

I can see for some, my sense of humor is an acquired taste. Oh well, my DW keeps tell me the same. Might have to start listening to her...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Obviously, my and redduck's dark humors are not recognized...

Old 09-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Nah, they are most welcome and appreciated, but I definitely don't want to get roped into the "authentic" versions y'all mentioned.

Actually looked at this place in the upstate that offers all natural burials, no chemicals and only materials that decompose. But the only weird part is that you have to rent a refrigerated truck to carry the person to it, which sounds both difficult and maybe kinda creepy.

Hence the interest in other perhaps oddball ceremonies.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Or as FIL used to say: "If I can't take it with me, I ain't going".