Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is/will a purchased annuity part of your retirement income
Have/plan to purchase an annuity for retirement income 22 23.40%
Purchased annuity is/will not be part of my retirement income 72 76.60%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I think we've discussed this.......you like Hancock because of Manulife, AIG is "ok", Pacific Life is a "maybe", Prudential is ok unless we have a bunch of hurricanes, and the rest suck......am I right??
First, what product are we talking about? A VA hung with guarantess is not something I would be thrilled about buying from anyone. Of the players you mention, I suppose I could work up some enthusiasm for Pac Life if I tried hard enough. Pru, Hancock and ING I could hold my nose and deal with (more to do with the product than the credit). AIG I refuse to do business with.

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
First, what product are we talking about? A VA hung with guarantess is not something I would be thrilled about buying from anyone. Of the players you mention, I suppose I could work up some enthusiasm for Pac Life if I tried hard enough. Pru, Hancock and ING I could hold my nose and deal with (more to do with the product than the credit). AIG I refuse to do business with.
I was talking about a SPIA.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was talking about a SPIA.........
Lots of other places I would go first, then, mainly companies that don't do a large volume of guaranteed VA biz or LTC. Start with Berkshire, NWM, MassMutual, TIAA, NY Life, etc. and work my way down.

- English Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lots of other places I would go first, then, mainly companies that don't do a large volume of guaranteed VA biz or LTC. Start with Berkshire, NWM, MassMutual, TIAA, NY Life, etc. and work my way down.
NML does a lot of LTC these days, but their VA business is low key and has no income riders...........

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
NML does a lot of LTC these days, but their VA business is low key and has no income riders...........
Yeah, I know, but I am willing to overlook the LTC because there is no plausible scenario under which that the LTC block could possible consume all the consolidated entity's value plus the value of the mammoth partcipating whole life block. Hell, even the disability policy that was pitced to me by an NWM agent was participating.

- English Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but I am willing to overlook the LTC because there is no plausible scenario under which that the LTC block could possible consume all the consolidated entity's value plus the value of the mammoth partcipating whole life block. Hell, even the disability policy that was pitced to me by an NWM agent was participating.
Agreed, and I think we know how they can afford to "participation" in every product, they RATE THE HECK out of folks. Their DI underwriting is unbelievably strict.........

Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed, and I think we know how they can afford to "participation" in every product, they RATE THE HECK out of folks. Their DI underwriting is unbelievably strict.........
They rate and their premiums are relatively high. Charge more up front and give some of it back if things work out as expected - a good way to reduce risk.

- English Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They rate and their premiums are relatively high. Charge more up front and give some of it back if things work out as expected - a good way to reduce risk.
Works well in the WL market, not easy to get term business, but they don't want much of that anyway.

My big turnoff when I worked there was the group DI area was pretty weak. It was common to get a group rating increase of 30-35%, and then expect us to close that. Not as easy as it sounds............

annuity
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

annuity

Hi all-
I am used to the abuse that annuities receive here, and I suppose if I were a younger man with more options, I'd consider other financial alternatives. However, I joined TIAA-CREF in 1975 when there were no other real choices except the TIAA annuity, and in all my travels, I continued to add to that annuity. Most of my contributions were actually self-remitters. The end result of all of this is that I have 80% of my retirement money in a rather large TIAA after tax annuity which will pay out a "pension" that is enough for me to live comfortably. I know I could have done better if I had been more proactive in where I was putting all this money. The other 20% of my retirement investments I do not plan on touching until I am 70 or so, and that is in mutual funds and the TIAA- Real Estate.

It's been suggested that I take out all of this annuity (over a period of 9 years plus 1 day according to TIAA rules). I actually hesitate to do this. There are so many concerns among the people here about the "risk" associated with insurance companies that might go under. It does weigh on me a bit. However, I've been assured by several colleagues and other people who know a lot more than I do, that I'm ok with TIAA-CREF. Brewer, you probably don't remember your comment to me a year ago when I made a similar post. You mentioned that if TIAA were to not honor its payouts, we'll all be eating squirrels under bridges. I received the same sort of responses from others in your field. I've also been told I am the perfect candidate for an annuity. I am single and all my family members are doing very well. If I croak early, then I guess that is the gamble, isn't it? It sort of makes you want to live a healthy lifestyle even more.

Regards,
Rob
Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Squirrel is some good eatin!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Rob: if the TIAA annuity provides a comfortable retirement you are ahead of 90% of the populace. Stick with the annuity and enjoy yourself. If you pull out the lump sum you will be constantly worrying about whether you will make it.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hi all-
I am used to the abuse that annuities receive here, and I suppose if I were a younger man with more options, I'd consider other financial alternatives. However, I joined TIAA-CREF in 1975 when there were no other real choices except the TIAA annuity, and in all my travels, I continued to add to that annuity. Most of my contributions were actually self-remitters. The end result of all of this is that I have 80% of my retirement money in a rather large TIAA after tax annuity which will pay out a "pension" that is enough for me to live comfortably. I know I could have done better if I had been more proactive in where I was putting all this money. The other 20% of my retirement investments I do not plan on touching until I am 70 or so, and that is in mutual funds and the TIAA- Real Estate.

It's been suggested that I take out all of this annuity (over a period of 9 years plus 1 day according to TIAA rules). I actually hesitate to do this. There are so many concerns among the people here about the "risk" associated with insurance companies that might go under. It does weigh on me a bit. However, I've been assured by several colleagues and other people who know a lot more than I do, that I'm ok with TIAA-CREF. Brewer, you probably don't remember your comment to me a year ago when I made a similar post. You mentioned that if TIAA were to not honor its payouts, we'll all be eating squirrels under bridges. I received the same sort of responses from others in your field. I've also been told I am the perfect candidate for an annuity. I am single and all my family members are doing very well. If I croak early, then I guess that is the gamble, isn't it? It sort of makes you want to live a healthy lifestyle even more.

Regards,
Rob
There's nothing inherently wrong with TIAA-Cref. Their expenses are very low, they have some good funds, and customer service is "ok". I had an issue with them regarding how to deal with my late sister's 403B, and it was kind of a mess because I had to do all the educating about what to do, but that's a rare case...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Rob, were I in your shoes, I would stick with what you have as long as the income will meet your needs. You are single and therefore don't likely have to worry about anyone other than yourself. The only real worrk is whether inflation will seriously erode the value of your income stream, but hopefully the assets you have besides the pension will offset that (and those assets should be aggresively invested).

As for TIAA-CREF, IMO they are extremely solid. That is who I chose to buy DW and my life insurance policies from, since I have no doubts about them being around if one of the policies pays out and saves the survivors from being in dire straits.

- English Bob
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

I purchased a fixed annuity from a portion of the pension payout. I liked having a portion of my income coming in as fixed. I keep an IRA as the inflation adjuster and bulk purchase if needed. Not getting SS yet so that will be the rest of my fixed income. My wife still works part time and I do some part time teaching. The fixed income is nice coming in. In the end it was the comfort level it gave to my wife and I knowing we have that income coming in and can live no matter what happens. Everyone tells us it is a bad investment but you gotta do what you gotta do for your own peace of mind.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
Everyone tells us it is a bad investment but you gotta do what you gotta do for your own peace of mind.
Welcome to the forum. I hope it helps your peace of mind to see what others are doing and, more importantly, why.

Sometimes the best thing to do is counter intuitive. When the market is flailing helplessly, mostly down, history says to stay in and keep your asset allocation stable. Market timing doesn't work. Of course, one day the "big one" will hit and those that paniced will look pretty good.

Annuities are one of those things that sounds so good -- "money for life." Here the number crunching is what counts. Some SPIA annuities are not bad and some are rip offs. You probably didn't get too bad a deal doing a pension conversion. It also sounds like you have ample diversification so as inflation makes your annuity payment laughable you can compensate by having let other assets grow and also collecting SS.

I'm planning a similar route but by a very safe self-annuitized payout from CDs and bonds when I finally quit the wage slave routine until SS kicks in.