Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My comp is published in public filings similar to DEF 14a. DW asks how much I make, from time to time. I usually tell her once a year if she doesn't. When the kids ask (23 and 19) I tell them, but I don't tell them how much we have. I tell my dad about once per year as he is our executor, but he is tight lipped. My sis is a tax preparer and has offered to do my taxes for me, but I always politely decline, saying "my expat status makes my taxes so complicated that a big 4 firm has to do it." I will NEVER tell her my income nor my holdings...nor my other siblings. I have told them that I intend to ER in a couple years, but they don't really believe me.

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
This is actually the case in France. You can go along to the tax office and ask to see what your neighbour filed last year. The press regularly trawls through politicians' returns.
Sweden did the same thing but online up till a couple of years ago. They ran into problems with too much info being available and some stalking incidents...

Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #43

Dad used to know when he helped with taxes, now just DH and my boss. Like others, modest salary but other benefits and bonuses bump it up. In my crowd, money/jobs aren't really talked about, unless we're complaining.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

DW's family including her parents and brothers. She and her siblings have a friendly rivalry over who makes the most. BTW, it really is a friendly rivalry. Definitely not my family. We out earn everybody in my family by a large margin and don't want to cause any hard feelings or jealousy. Two very close friends know approximately what we make but not the exact amount.

That's about it. I guess we're more open than many people are but so far it hasn't caused any issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #45

When I was working, I told anyone who ask. Salary ranges for programmers are pretty well defined, so it was hardly a secret anyway.

I am more guarded about net worth, but if the conversation turns to my retirement, I will say "enough to not have to work again".
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #46

Reading these, I think I can think of a couple general rules.

If your earnings are set by union contract or gov't regs, you're used to having them public (at least around work). If your earnings are set by personal negotiation and individual performance appraisals, they are more of a reflection on your individual worth and you are more concerned about privacy.

If you're talking to someone who might expect you to pay for [their entertainment, their living expense during an emergency, our joint parent's care as they decline, etc.] you are less willing to share. If you're talking to someone who may feel that he/she should be helping you out (like a parent who's concerned that you might be having financial problems), you are more likely to say enough to reassure them.

If you're talking to someone who is plain nosy, or prone to jealousy, you're going to be very private.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

while i am not in the public sector, cruising over to one's professional society will usually produce some interesting numbers. I know my society does an annual salary study which is just a click away from their homepage.

as a general rule, i find those that are willing to share their salary openly, tend to inflate the number.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When working as a federal employee, income was easily found out.
Now nobody knows but the IRS.
I'll tell you: Gross income ~$30K/year
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone who asks politely would know exactly

Amazingly other than those who sign the paycheck or have the same job description who have more than an educated guess is around three or four
Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

For most of my work life, only DH knew. For a while, anyone could find out by looking up the 990.

When I was 8 (1959) we were studying social classes in school. Salary ranges for each social class were included. The teacher told us that we were all lower middle class. I went home and asked my father what he made. Turns out his salary was at the bottom of the upper class range. My big concern was that if we were not poorer than everyone else, why didn't we have a TV. My education in the importance of LBYM started that night.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #51

I cannot imagine anybody asking me how much I make. How does a question like that come about?? Would they say, like "you must make at least this much" and you'd say, "oh no, you are way off; I make this much"?

So far, nobody has ever asked me how much I make, and I've never asked anybody else how much they make (although some have volunteered their information.)

Just curious..(actually VERY curious..)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I cannot imagine anybody asking me how much I make. How does a question like that come about?? Would they say, like "you must make at least this much" and you'd say, "oh no, you are way off; I make this much"?

So far, nobody has ever asked me how much I make, and I've never asked anybody else how much they make (although some have volunteered their information.)

Just curious..(actually VERY curious..)
I think they do just in a modern way they ask you what you do for a living. I think they make a good guess on salary from there. Notice how quick that question comes up. Some people I meet that question is in the top three.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
My salary is on the web, in a search able database...
Mine too. When I was in private practice, it was a closely guarded secret. As an interesting aside, the young wife has no idea how much she gets paid, let alone what I make.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

What would I tell them? I don't even know how much I make.

No salary. 100% commission.
Plus rental income - 20 houses.
Capital gains varies each year.

Difference between 2005 and 2007 AGI was 6 figures.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
let alone what I make.
So, how much does an administrator make?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
So, how much does an administrator make?
You should see the benefits package....
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #57

DW does and I know how much she makes. My parents know how much we are worth since they are trustees for our cats in case we pass away.

People at work know what pay band I am in, since we are all in the same general band.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Salary ranges for programmers are pretty well defined
Not from my experience. Depends on your level, industry and location. I've known folks in $40k-150k range, heard from multiple sources numbers of 180k and 250k salaries; and then there was one guy interviewing me a for Symantec position back around 10 years ago said he had an offer in Europe for a "7-figure salary" (I guess he was at the top of the "programmer" chain; he was not a manager)... None of these are from consulting, all are W2 salaries. Consulting can get larger of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99
How does a question like that come about??
Almost never comes up for me but does on occasion.

I have some curious family members. E.g. a teen nephew asks me from time to time. (Thus, my question about when to tell children.)

Also had an acquaintance who was very curious (we are in the same field but very different companies) and he tried to pressure me a lot. Then he said how much he made trying to make me share my number... which I really did not want to do after realizing I was making quite a bit more... (I ended up saying "more than $X", where X was about $10k more than his number.)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I plan to give a presentation to my kids (24 & 22) soon. I want to give them a graphic example of personal finance to motivate them. Included will be retirement and what I have learned about investing. (Also to disabuse them of any notion that there will be a big pot of gold in the inheritance.)

I think it will curl their hair.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #60

DH, our accountant, and the IRS. I don't tell my close friends but I think they have a general idea, since we used to work together in the public sector, and I have said that my recent job change didn't come with a big raise.

The topic of salary rarely comes up amongst my friends. Besides that, my MIL has told us how much she made because we were helping her with retirement planning. We never told her how much we made.

As for our networth, only DH and I know. I am absolutely protective of that information. Even though our NW is very low on this board, it's high compared with my real-life friends. I see no need sharing that.