Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqFlyer View Post
I often wonder how people afford business class tickets. Last week I observed a woman and her two kids (under 10 years old) in business. They had to be $6,000 tickets..
Not necessary. 5 of us were treated to First Class by FinnAir for over Atlantic, when they messed up our request for bascinet. Our problem was that the kids got spoiled a lot on this leg and were asking for lay flat seats on all other legs of the trip
Also a lot of customers would get upgraded for free to business/first because of their frequent flyer status.
Another way is using your miles either for the whole ticket or just for the upgrade.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Not necessary. 5 of us were treated to First Class by FinnAir for over Atlantic, when they messed up our request for bascinet. Our problem was that the kids got spoiled a lot on this leg and were asking for lay flat seats on all other legs of the trip
Also a lot of customers would get upgraded for free to business/first because of their frequent flyer status.
Another way is using your miles either for the whole ticket or just for the upgrade.
my experience has been your FF status will not help you get first/business seats internationally. upgrading with miles does the trick though...

domestically, however, my wife and i enjoy the upgrades based on my FF status....

Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #83

My SO, our best friends, my parents know my salary, at least approximately. One of my aunts and my sister would be able to make an educated guess. Also being a Fed, it can be looked up by anyone.

Tmm asked how it comes up. My dad is just curious and will ask once in a while. We are a small family and are all a bunch of savers, so there are no issues or worries about sharing information. My parents retired early and I hope to follow in their footsteps. Plus, I am in finance, so I've given various relatives advice on occasion, so maybe we know more about each others' positions than other families. As for our closest friends, they are like family to me. They want to retire early also, so we sit around and drink wine and compare plans and investments and goals etc. They don't know exactly what I make or how much I have saved, but they have a good idea.

Other than that, I don't share the information. More people know that I save a significant portion of my salary, but they don't know the dollar amounts.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have no clue what my parents made, once I saw the checkbook - and could not figure out why they would not fit the bill for the Calvin Klein's I was dreaming of at the time! (makes perfect sense now - they retired a little early!) Like Nords mentioned, the whole internet world can access my "salary" and allowances. (military)
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

No use in me hiding it. All people need is my name and occupation and they can look it up:

State Worker Salary Search - sacbee.com

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver
angelbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
my experience has been your FF status will not help you get first/business seats internationally. upgrading with miles does the trick though...

domestically, however, my wife and i enjoy the upgrades based on my FF status....

it is true... the reason giving to me by the head of travel... most businesses will spring for business class... so why give away something when you know you will get the money...

Most will not spring for business on domestic... so it is a carrot for you to fly on their plane... they got all the money they could out of mega... now it is how do we make you chose our airline...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
I have no clue what my parents made, once I saw the checkbook - and could not figure out why they would not fit the bill for the Calvin Klein's I was dreaming of at the time! (makes perfect sense now - they retired a little early!)
When the kids were little, we would sometimes go to Germany for shopping. The first two words of German which they learned were "Stark Reduziert" ("Price slashed"). If the clothes they liked the look of weren't "Stark Reduziert", they weren't getting them.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have been upgraded several times on international flights when travelling to the funeral of a close relative. TLC does help.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #89

Quote:
my experience has been your FF status will not help you get first/business seats internationally.
That really depends on the route. If you care to maximize your chances try to pick up mid week travel with relatively empty business and full economy. I was bumped up several times CDG->ATL or ZRH->ATL with measly Silver Medallion status when economy got full.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #90

My husband and employer. Some co-workers probably can figure the range. My mother (and father when he was alive) know generally but not exactly.

My kids (all teenagers) have asked and I won't tell them. One reason is that I felt they would get an over-inflated idea of our income given they don't understand the expenses that go with it.

They are old enough now to notice differences in what people have and they do realize we had (DH now retired, me ESR) more income than most but I just didn't want to give numbers.

I now work about 10 hours a week. The other day my 16 year old son was questioning why I do it particularly since it can't be much money working so little. Without thinking, I replied that it is over $4k a month. He was clearly surprised and said "Oh! That is more than some people make working full time." I agreed that it was and it was clear he could now understand why I might choose to work part time.

Another thing though is that salary isn't necessarily everything on compensation. My salary was always more than DH's. However his benefits were much much better than mine. It is his lump sum from his pension that allows us to retire.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #91

Just look up GS12 in the Boston area pay scale on OPM.GOV and you will see my salary range.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #92

Mom and Dad know my salary. DW's parents don't, but I wouldn't mind telling them if they asked. Several of my close friends know my salary. All of the above are really responsible with money. I think only one of my friends knows my networth because we compare notes all the time. I won't tell DW's brother-in-law because he seems obsessed with how we are doing financially.

One of my really close friends knows my salary but not my NW. I would tell him, but I can tell he doesn't want to know because he thinks he would feel bad because he is worth less than us. He is good (cheap) with money, but not good at investing. He played with high flying stocks a lot about a decade ago and lost quite a bit. Now he has gone to the other extreme and puts everything into savings accounts.

Another of my friends graduated at the same time as me (but in a different field) and we have had an ongoing competition about who makes more. We would call each other after raises. After one raise, it turned out that he was making $4/year more than me!