Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have a brother-in-law who just moved from the Phoenix area to San Diego after he finally retired at the age of 70.

He said when he told a new neighbor where he came from, the neighbor said "You are moving in the wrong direction. Most retirees move out of CA.".
It is mostly income and education based on who is moving in and who is moving out -
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...221-story.html

"The U.S. Census Bureau, in its newly released surveys for 2017, shows that California’s net migration remained fairly stable. Since 2010, as the economic recovery took hold and housing prices skyrocketed, departures accelerated — but the number of newcomers rose steadily as well.

The state attracts a steady stream of college graduates, especially from the East Coast, even as many less-educated residents moveto neighboring states — and to Texas — in search of a lower cost of living."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have a brother-in-law who just moved from the Phoenix area to San Diego after he finally retired at the age of 70.

He said when he told a new neighbor where he came from, the neighbor said "You are moving in the wrong direction. Most retirees move out of CA.".
Phoenix is a nice retirement place -- to play golf, to play pickleball, to lie by the pool, and to sit around the fire pit at night. It might be too hot and dry for some people. DW, for example, does not like the climate because of the heat (in the summer) and the dryness. She prefers the weather in Carlsbad, about 20 miles north of San Diego.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #103
Dryer sheet wannabe

my mom retired in 96 at 59 with 100k small SS and small pension. They live in a modest house in a not all that great or all that bad of an area. It was cheap so they lived cheaply.

She has invested, and did a pretty good job of it. She is in 7 figures plus whatever my step dad has.

She never worked once she retire so it can be done provided you retire smartly.

I'm 61 with a nice pile of cash, pension, SS. I will live quite well compared to her but I will be spending a LOT more then her. I'm thinking it's all relative. Just be smart and realistic about the money you do have.

Also remember you get the most out of retirement in your 60's given statistically you will be healthier and can do quite a bit. Don't wait for your pile to be HUGE only to find yourself ill and not able to do the things you want to do.

If you don't have the pile you'd like to have supplementing it with a part time job is pretty smart too provided you don't hate doing it.

I haven't retired yet, fortunately I don't hate my job and get lots of vacation but it's never enough and as I get close I find little things about my job to be annoying. It's how I know I'm getting close to ditching the place. lol

Do lots of retirement calculators and be HONEST about what you spend. Typically you spend less in retirement but my advise is to calculate using what you spend now.
Twistnshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Most of the people we know who moved here in retirement are either very rich, they bought small condos, or both. The small condo people seem to spend much of their time in club activities, travel or local sight seeing, so they aren't home that much anyway.
In other words, you have to wealthy to retire in the Bay Area unless you already own a house purchased long ago, have earned a high salary from the tech firms, and have saved a "good" portion of your income. Despite the high cost of living in the Bay Area, the influx of tech workers continue to rise because of the extremely generous compensation. A software engineer with less than 5-years of experience could earn up to $250K a year. DD and her husband, both senior software engineers working for the largest technology employers in Silicon Valley, are collecting high pay checks while paying only a small mortgage payment for a $200K loan for the house which is now valued more than $1M.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistnshout View Post
Also remember you get the most out of retirement in your 60's given statistically you will be healthier and can do quite a bit. Don't wait for your pile to be HUGE only to find yourself ill and not able to do the things you want to do.

If you don't have the pile you'd like to have supplementing it with a part time job is pretty smart too provided you don't hate doing it.

I haven't retired yet, fortunately I don't hate my job and get lots of vacation but it's never enough and as I get close I find little things about my job to be annoying. It's how I know I'm getting close to ditching the place. lol
As you said, "you get the most out of retirement in your 60's", what will be it take for you to retire?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
In other words, you have to wealthy to retire in the Bay Area unless you already own a house purchased long ago, have earned a high salary from the tech firms, and have saved a "good" portion of your income. Despite the high cost of living in the Bay Area, the influx of tech workers continue to rise because of the extremely generous compensation. A software engineer with less than 5-years of experience could earn up to $250K a year. DD and her husband, both senior software engineers working for the largest technology employers in Silicon Valley, are collecting high pay checks while paying only a small mortgage payment for a $200K loan for the house which is now valued more than $1M.
The small condo retirees we know bought in the suburbs for probably around $300K - $400K. But that would be for around 1,000 sq feet or less, around an hour commute into the city and not in the South Bay, which is pricier. For two of the couples, their condos here are their second homes.

But utilities on their condos aren't much, they are on Medicare, seniors get a big discount on BART, and they all just have one car (or one car at this home) so if their condos are paid for their other fixed expenses probably aren't too high.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If we are talking about the success rate as computed by FIRECalc and similar retirement calculators, let's not forget the rate is typically computed over a 30-year retirement period.
Not exactly. FIRECalc is a FIRE Calculator. It is right there in the name, even. You enter the horizon right in the first tab. Same with (lol, i guess you can't mention some of the others here). They look at actual X length periods in their history. I think you are confusing with things like the Trinity Study, that looked at the traditional 30 year horizon.

Quote:
Yet, hard statistics show that only 46% of the 55-year-olds make it to 85. The less lucky 54% don't live long enough to have to worry about being broke at the end of the 30-year period. We will not hear them complain about lack of money.
I often see people pointing out "but you could die!" and other things. Does that affect your retirement planning in any way? You still have to plan to living to the other side of the bell curve.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Nope. FIRECalc is a FIRE Calculator. It is right there in the name, even. You enter the horizon right in the first tab. Same with ********. The look at actual X length periods in their history. I think you are confusing with things like the Trinity Study, that looked at the traditional 30 year horizon.
I knew how FIRECalc uses the historical data.

And most people use the default 30-year horizon, unless they retire very young.

Quote:
I often see people pointing out "but you could die!" and other things. Does that affect your retirement planning in any way? You still have to plan to living to the other side of the bell curve.
Sure. That's why my WR is 2.7%, and that is with no SS yet.

My post was in response to earlier posters who said 50% financial success rate meant 1/2 did not fail. I said that the "success rate" was even higher if we considered people who never made it to the 30-year mark, or whatever more optimistic period that they used in their plan.

So, when a calculator shows a 60-year old has a 50% risk of dying broke in 30 years, his real risk is actually lower than 50% when he adds in the chance of him croaking within that 30-year period, which is fairly high.

If you retire at 60 and die at 65, congratulation on a "successful retirement", financially speaking that is.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #109

Quote:
I knew how FIRECalc uses the historical data.
And most people use the default 30-year horizon, unless they retire very young.

I run my numbers out to the age of 100 with FireCalc. However, since I'm only 49, that's only taking historical 51 year timespans into account. So, just to be safe, I also run a few scenarios such as 30 years, 35, 40, in case there are some historical shorter periods that would have failed, and therefore, never made it to 51 years.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

But then, as Bernstein pointed out in his "Retirement Calculator from Hell", we have no guarantee that the next 50 years will bear any resemblance to the last 50 years.

Why do I like to have a low WR? It's so that I would do better than my cohorts, whatever SHTF.

As Bernstein pointed out,

Quote:
If you want to retire early, what matters is not how much you save, but how much more than everyone else you save. In a world where everyone saves as if they’re going to retire at fifty-five, or even at sixty-five, none can.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #111
Administrator

Fortunately for us, most don't.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

And we should stop belittling spendthrifts who do not save.

We need them more than they need us, I think.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #113

Quote:
...we should stop belittling spendthrifts who do not save. We need them more than they need us, I think.
Before I was married, one of my major concern about ER was whether there would be enough workers to staff Taco Bell restaurants. I kid you not. Yes, we need workers to keep paying into SS, paying taxes, and keeping the ship running 'smoothly' or 'status quo', at least, that's what Washington wants!
Old 07-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Before I was married, one of my major concern about ER was whether there would be enough workers to staff Taco Bell restaurants. I kid you not. Yes, we need workers to keep paying into SS, paying taxes, and keeping the ship running 'smoothly' or 'status quo', at least, that's what Washington wants!
Worker's and the spendthrifts who keep the economy running smoothly. I think furniture warehouse would go out of business without my SIL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I have been worrying about not having enough workers to change diapers of nursing home patients.

Recently, I pointed out that among my children and their cousins of child bearing age and also their spouses, they have 1 kid among 21 of them. Yes, 21 down to 1.

The eldest of the above cohort is 50, and the youngest is 30 because I only count those older than 25 to be of marrying age. In a few years, a few more will be added to that count of 21.

It appears my sweet grandniece will stay very lonely.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

My husband and I have 5 kids between us and no grandchildren. Things are changing.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #117
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
As you said, "you get the most out of retirement in your 60's", what will be it take for you to retire?
I have been waiting for a severance package since 2015. It never happened so here I am still hoping. It's pretty lucrative so I hate to miss it but if it doesn't happen by this coming spring I might just go anyway.

Right now I'm setting up my new jeep with do-dads and building an off road trailer and using income rather then savings income.
Twistnshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

It appears my sweet grandniece will stay very lonely.
Some of the loneliest people I know have been married. Never equate married with happy or single with lonely!
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
Some of the loneliest people I know have been married. Never equate married with happy or single with lonely!

I meant my 2-year-old grandniece will not have a cousin to play with, being the only child of her generation.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistnshout View Post
I have been waiting for a severance package since 2015. It never happened so here I am still hoping. It's pretty lucrative so I hate to miss it but if it doesn't happen by this coming spring I might just go anyway.

Right now I'm setting up my new jeep with do-dads and building an off road trailer and using income rather then savings income.
Good luck on the package, which could happen.