Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It would be stupid to pressure your children into having a child when they do not want to. Older generations used to do that. They did not know better.

A sane person would not pressure anyone into adopting even a pet.

About Murray's quote, does he say anything about dogs that maul people to death?
No. And he does not say anything about people who shoot people to death, especially school children. Dogs who are mistreated and trained to attack typically exhibit that behavior. People, on the other hand...just shoot for who knows what?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why are we going from bad dogs to bad people?

Murray made a bad generalization about dogs and people.

He is a reasonable guy. If given a chance, he would retract what he said, I hope.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

I trust dogs over people anyday.

People will lie to you, cheat you, talk bad about you. When you get home your dog will always be happy to see you.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Do you trust other people's dog? Any dog?

That's what I take Murray's saying to mean. He made a dumb generalization.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I trust dogs over people anyday.

People will lie to you, cheat you, talk bad about you. When you get home your dog will always be happy to see you.
Yeah! As a test lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car. Come back in an hour and see who's happy to see you.

<jk>
Old 07-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Yeah! As a test lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car. Come back in an hour and see who's happy to see you.

<jk>
You beat me to this one. I have used it often. (not the real test, just the joke)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #147
Dryer sheet wannabe

My mom made a fortune on pet stocks. She notice how people were treating them like their children.

She and I both wonder what is wrong with people who need to have a dog. Cant get along with humans? Something missing?

Just joking but there might be some truth to it. We have a dog or I should say my wife and son have one. I scratch my head just watching all they have to do for it. lol
Twistnshout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Those in the younger generations (Millennials, Z) are choosing more and more to be childfree, whether it is for financial, personal, environmental, or simply "not interested" reasons. I commend those who choose to go against the so-called "life script" the way I did. It isn't always easy, especially for women and married couples. For single men, such as me, it isn't that big of a deal.
My second son and his wife advised (several times) before they got married that they were not having children. I think they were expecting a protest. If so, they are just going to have to wait. They are NOT getting it from me. I happen to think it's their business.

My oldest (surprised me) by recently getting engaged. I haven't said a peep to them about children, and don't intend to.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I know horrible things were said behind our back for not adopting a child. "Selfish" comes to mind. "No wonder you can RE, you don't have kids."
a) How dare they! That is ridiculous, totally your business and NONE of theirs; and

b) Maybe they are jealous.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #150
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
a) How dare they! That is ridiculous, totally your business and NONE of theirs; and

b) Maybe they are jealous.
If I'm talking about my retirement with someone I know has children, I usually try to beat them to the punch by volunteering something like "Yes, I am retiring early, but then I didn't have children to pay for." This has 2 benefits:

A) It's true
B) It makes them feel better.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I'm talking about my retirement with someone I know has children, I usually try to beat them to the punch by volunteering something like "Yes, I am retiring early, but then I didn't have children to pay for." This has 2 benefits:

A) It's true
As my signature line indicates, my short answer as to why I was able to retire at 45 is this: No kids, no debts.

I don't run from it, I am proud of it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #152

Quote:

A) It's true
That is very kind and diplomatic. (I'm guessing you probably leave off the part about meticulous long term planning and budgeting by both you and YW.)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
My second son and his wife advised (several times) before they got married that they were not having children. I think they were expecting a protest. If so, they are just going to have to wait. They are NOT getting it from me. I happen to think it's their business...
We never talked to our daughter and son-in-law about having children. One day, out of the blue, they hinted of making plan. We listened, but made no comments. Our thinking was that only they themselves knew when they were ready.

Then, that went away, and we have not heard anymore for 2 years now. Perhaps they changed their mind.

PS. My mother broached the subject and talked to them about it. We were not part of it, but learned of this after the fact. We briefly told them to ignore Grandma, and just stayed quiet when Grandma talked about this. She would get tired of it.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
As my signature line indicates, my short answer as to why I was able to retire at 45 is this: No kids, no debts.

I don't run from it, I am proud of it.
You do know that there are some of us on the other side, who can look at you and think job well done Scrabbler1, and only be glad about your success/ achievements . . .

(Never, ever did like debt tho. Only had one - mortgage which I paid off in seven years.)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #155

Quote:
We never talked to our daughter and son-in-law about having children. One day, out of the blue, they hinted of making plan. We listened, but made no comments. Our thinking was that only they themselves knew when they were ready.

Then, that went away, and we have not heard anymore for 2 years now. Perhaps they changed their mind.

PS. My mother broached the subject and talked to them about it. We were not part of it, but learned of this after the fact. We briefly told them to ignore Grandma, and just stayed quiet when Grandma talked about this. She would get tired of it.
I actually think that's the best approach for a number of situations.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A) It's true
Funny how this question about ability to retire early does not come up with me often or at all that I recall, in comparison to other ERs on the forum.

Perhaps people thought I made a lot more money than I did. Or that I hit the jackpot with the stock market. They did not ask, and I did not tell.

PS. I did tell my children that we got to where we are by practicing LBYM and to invest. I added that unless they wanted to work till their SS FRA of 67, they would do well to save money and invest. I don't know how much they have now, but probably more than their peers.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:27 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistnshout View Post
My mom made a fortune on pet stocks. She notice how people were treating them like their children.

She and I both wonder what is wrong with people who need to have a dog. Cant get along with humans? Something missing?

Just joking but there might be some truth to it. We have a dog or I should say my wife and son have one. I scratch my head just watching all they have to do for it. lol
I love dogs...I had them for 25 years. Had cats too. But I don't want the hassle or the hair anymore. We like to go away and when you have a pet you always have to make some sort of arrangement whether you are taking them or having someone look after them. Also, being retired my schedule varies so much that it's not fair to a dog who needs regular bathroom breaks. It wasn't so bad when I was working and came home at the same time every day but I don't want to spend the next 15 years having to be home at 5:00 to let the dog out. And then again at 9:00.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #158

Quote:
Funny how this question about ability to retire early does not come up with me often or at all that I recall, in comparison to other ERs on the forum.
For me, it only comes up when I tell people I'm planning to ER soon. They ask incredulously, how? How will you pay the bills? No comprehension!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Nobody asks me either, but then I have grey hair and quit at 59. Not that early.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Get the question once in awhile and yeah could have shaved off some years without children, but wouldn't do anything different despite one of sons not really having a relationship with me.