Who’s That Knocking On My Door?

In our neighborhood we get cold calls from realtors and some buyers just stopping by to see if anyone will sell. We haven't discussed price or checked Zillow since we don't have any plans to move. I view the house almost completely as shelter and not as an investment. Some folks have sold, though, and then have to scurry around to find another place to live.

We live in a rural area and Zillow doesn't cover our town at all.

Well, I guess that's one advantage of living in a rural area. Zillow won't be able to infect you with the dreaded Wealth Effect and therefore you won't be prone to do foolish things with your retirement money.

Zillow gives you an estimate and a trend I think and not much else. What you can actually get depends on things Zillow can't know. How motivated the buyers/sellers are, what the condition of the house really is etc. Around here the last 2 houses that have sold have sold for 100% as is and significantly over the asking price. OTOH there is a house nearby that is in terrible condition and while they would get a pretty penny for it they wouldn't get as much as the well maintained house next store.

It's tempting to sell because the houses are up so much but if we left we could never come back and that would be a problem for my wife

As a Realtor I like Zestimates. More often then not they have been low. I have a closing this Thursday for a Town House where Zillow had it at $250,000. The sales price is $272,500.
I much prefer to tell the buyer we can get you $20 grand more then the Zestimate rather then $20 grand less.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom