Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I Know! Beer at the Ball Park is Up .75 cents this yr! to $6.75 per.. parking is Up $1 and now have .25 cent Meters for the Bathrooms...!

my heating Bills went down.. Converted from Nat. Gas to Baseboard Electric.. cut over 43% this yr.. and alot less Dust in the House..Next? How to Hook up into the Main Power Line without using the Meter...hehe...

And we went back and added Old fashion Storm Windows.. Vynil Clad to the Inside...vs using the Plastic stuff over our Double Glass Anderson Windows.. con game..With our 9 Inches of Insulation in the Attic & Foam Filled our Storm Doors? What a Difference this yr..

Now it's Going back to using the old fashion Attic Fan in the Hallway for the Summer..
I heard Drug Co. just raised their prices by 6% and that's going to be just the begining me thinks.. Gas is Up 33% already from the bottom..
Probably Hit $3/gal by Mem. Day...

Of course that doesn't count on the CPI...naturally...LOL
And McDonalds Raised prices by .10 cents... Oought to Boycott Getting their Buns with the burgers.. It's were all the fat is anyway..!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last month I paid $3.00 less per gallon for diesel than what I paid last July!!! Amazing! The drop in fuel prices has made a huge difference to us with the motorhome.

We spent $2,150 for the automobile fuel and $4,767 for the motorhome last year - $6,917 total. So I expect these numbers to be quite a bit lower this year.

Our other major expenses - camping fees, eating out, groceries and insurance - not likely to see reductions this year although we haven't been eating out as much lately and groceries seem to be running a bit lower than last year so far.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I have not kept track of inflation, but today a case of Fosters was S21.- with tax. Gas is at 2.099/gal vs last week at 1.999.

Fuel surcharge was added to all foodstuffs last year, no drop in food prices in the area supermarkets this year.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Re: fuel costs.

Honey just noted that Capital One Costco account is paying 2.07%. OTH, our American Express Costco card pays us 5% back on gas purchases. Dawns on me i should hang out at the pumps buying gas for people with my card and taking their cash. TaaDa! Instant 3% profit! Always thinking here....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's exactly what's wrong with the CPI and its use of "substitution."

Comparing apples to apples, prices are rising. But people are substituting cheaper "oranges" (this is metaphoric, not specifically the real fruits) in tough times, and as a result their food bill goes down even though the price of apples may be up 5-10%. The CPI's "substitution" algorithm considers this and pretends food prices are flat or even falling. It's a joke, really -- it should be tracking a fixed standard of living, not a downward-adjusted standard of living.
I wonder what they substitute for rising water prices. Ain't getting any cheaper here in Southern California!

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." - George Washington Carver
angelbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

All energy costs have dropped dramatically, but other than that, I'm seeing some huge price increases. Canned stuff we use to stock our pantry have gone way up in the last couple of months. I'm guessing it's shipping costs which may just now be reflected in the shelf prices. But a few of these increases are nearing 50%! What's up with that?

Personally, I'm not seeing deflation.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote