Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think Vanguard would be a fine choice if you are going to be all-in with their mutual funds, especially Admiral shares. Recently, Vanguard seems to be struggling administratively with all the growth, while also trying to keep costs down. Plus lots of stories here about weird policies, like no TOD for joint accounts.

I researched this question extensively when we consolidated everything at retirement 5 years ago. We ended up with all our accounts at Fidelity, but our portfolio consists exclusively of ultra-low-ER Vanguard and iShares ETFs. I think it's the best of both worlds. We also do all normal banking functions using our cash management account at Fidelity and we love the 2% cash-back VISA. We're very happy with Fidelity, but based on my research back then, I think Schwab would have been a fine choice as well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did find Vanguard not allowing beneficiaries for joint accounts a little weird. Doesn't make sense to me and could be one reason not to use Vanguard.

To the OP's original question, one could use multiple brokerages to stay under the SIPC insurance limits, depending on the amount of money they have.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #23

We have had good luck with Fidelity , our CPA recommended Fidelity and a rep. Have had experience with Vanguard and Merrill Lynch . No complaints with Vanguard , ML seems not for me.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m very happy with Fidelity primarily due to web tools and local offices. I have no experience with Schwab and limited experience at VG. I think I am in the sweet spot with not enough assets to get products pushed at me but enough to get prompt attention when I do call. A rep calls me about 2x /yr to check in. One thing I will caution you about is they seem to use different people to process workplace accounts vs my IRA and brokerage accounts so that seems inefficient at times. I just discovered another local branch and I am considering establishing a contact there.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have accounts with all three (and Morgan and HSBC). By far the best and easiest online user interface, both mobile and desktop, is Schwab. I manage my own portfolio, so the services they offer are for the most part not of interest to me. A good online experience is however.
dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Another vote for Fidelity. Timely and efficient responses on any investment questions for no fees.
OTOH I don't have any experience with Vanguard and Schwab.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #27

I only have used Wells Fargo (too expensive), Merrill Lynch (too expensive), Oppenheimer (very expensive) and Vanguard.

Vanguard's web site has an archaic interface, and you can't exchange mutual funds for ETFs (you have to sell, the $ goes to a settlement account, and then you can buy).

The level of service there varies from very basic (with three tiers for those with assets under $1M), to Vanguard Flagship ($1M-$5M), to Flagship Select (>$5M). Now that I'm in the middle tier, I'm happy with their level of service. I've been having them create a new retirement plan annually for the past three years (free) as I approach FIRE, which ends up with a ~4.7% distribution rate in my situtation (including future income streams). For a % of assets, they will manage everything for you, if you wish. They will also help with rebalancing.

They have web broadcasts about monthly for learning and investment advice. Overall, I'm very happy with them, as I'm a do-it-yourselfer (they do help with transferring funds from other institutions), and have no need to sit down with them face-to-face, and have no need to buy individual stocks or bonds.

Anyway, if you're a self-directed person and don't need a lot of personal assistance, and don't do a lot of active trading, VG is great for low-cost investing.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #28

Let's not forget the ~0.005% benefit provided to Fidelity Private Client customers (those with > $1M in their account): free Turbotax Premium every year.

I have both Fido and VG accounts and agree with others here that the costs are similar but Fidelity has more user friendly features (if you care about such things). The ones that matter to me are what appears to be good range of individual bonds, handy asset tracking/retirement planning tools, availability of a local representative (who thankfully only sends me pesky unsolicited infomercial emails a few times a year).

I have no experience with Schwab, but the comment in this thread about wider bond availability makes me think I should check them out.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have used Vanguard and Fidelity. I like Fidelity because of local office access. Presently have most $ at Vanguard and frankly am frustrated with only telephone and online access. DD uses Schwab and Fidelity.

If you are used to a big bucks brokerage firm Schwab may be the best fit for you. Next, IMHO, Fidelity.

I would not use an in-house financial advisor at any brokerage firm, I would listen to their observations but not invest based on their advice. Hire your own financial advisor who can look at your entire financial picture.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

One comment about local vs remote. To Vanguard everyone is remote, they whizzed through remote desktop. The Fidelity annuity salesman I spoke to several times had to enlist an IT resource.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lots of great info and advice folks. Thanks for that. I just got back from my meeting Schwab. I have to say, I was very impressed with the tools that are available and the costs (or lack thereof). For every question and concern I had they gave me what I would consider very adequate answers and solutions. Also, the rep and I got along well, which is also a plus. She even called the local bond desk guy and he chatted with me a bit about how I could use him and what they offer. So, that was nice, too. Tomorrow I meet with Fidelity. Unless they blow me away, I'll probably go with Schwab. There are a couple of things I still need to consider.

1. I have a very large 401k that is in a Fidelity plan that they would consider as part of my total assets. So, it may put me over some thresholds there for additional benefits. Although, I'm not sure what they would be. Of course, at Schwab this wouldn't be the case, as the 401k isn't moving.
2. I have a portion of my portfolio, the international allocation, in a managed account that Lazard runs. My Dad was able to cut the fee to around 60 bps, but at Schwab it would be 1.35%. I'm certainly not going to pay that. But, I also don't have the time or energy to manage this International piece (I DIY all the rest). So, I'm going to need to figure out what else to do with it. I could always buy a fund, but what I've noticed when I look at the holdings of many is that they are actually mostly US companies. It's very misleading. Anyway, we'll see how Fidelity can handle this piece.

On Vanguard, I think I may have ruled them out. Many here have mentioned the archaic website and tools, which I have experienced, as well. And, when compared to what Schwab showed me today, it doesn't even really compare.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
Lots of great info and advice folks. Thanks for that. I just got back from my meeting Schwab. I have to say, I was very impressed with the tools that are available and the costs (or lack thereof). For every question and concern I had they gave me what I would consider very adequate answers and solutions. Also, the rep and I got along well, which is also a plus. She even called the local bond desk guy and he chatted with me a bit about how I could use him and what they offer. So, that was nice, too. Tomorrow I meet with Fidelity. Unless they blow me away, I'll probably go with Schwab. There are a couple of things I still need to consider.

1. I have a very large 401k that is in a Fidelity plan that they would consider as part of my total assets. So, it may put me over some thresholds there for additional benefits. Although, I'm not sure what they would be. Of course, at Schwab this wouldn't be the case, as the 401k isn't moving.
2. I have a portion of my portfolio, the international allocation, in a managed account that Lazard runs. My Dad was able to cut the fee to around 60 bps, but at Schwab it would be 1.35%. I'm certainly not going to pay that. But, I also don't have the time or energy to manage this International piece (I DIY all the rest). So, I'm going to need to figure out what else to do with it. I could always buy a fund, but what I've noticed when I look at the holdings of many is that they are actually mostly US companies. It's very misleading. Anyway, we'll see how Fidelity can handle this piece.

On Vanguard, I think I may have ruled them out. Many here have mentioned the archaic website and tools, which I have experienced, as well. And, when compared to what Schwab showed me today, it doesn't even really compare.
One thing to consider when rolling over a 401k fund is one do you have a high yielding Stable Value fund in your 401k, which you wouldn't have in your "TIRA rollover?

Why not consider an International index fund? Fidelity has a new one for zero fees and an existing older one for 4.5 bps.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
One thing to consider when rolling over a 401k fund is one do you have a high yielding Stable Value fund in your 401k, which you wouldn't have in your "TIRA rollover?

Why not consider an International index fund? Fidelity has a new one for zero fees and an existing older one for 4.5 bps.
Dtail, the 401k will not be rolled over as I am still employed. My only point is that since it is in a Fidelity 401k plan, they would consider it as part of my total assets, where Schwab, of course wouldn't.

I will consider an Int'l index fund. One issue is that Lazard has actually done pretty well beating them. But, I'll check out the Fidelity one...Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have accounts at various brokerages.

Vanguard is not a real brokerage. They do not have real-time updating of things that happen with your account. Since you have an account at Vanguard, you can see this yourself. They are great if you want to use Vanguard mutual funds, but less great if you want to use ETFs including Vanguard ETFs.

Fidelity is always trying to push something on me through their website. They have never called me that I am aware of even though I have had an account with them for decades. I don't make any transactions at Fidelity (except donating shares to my Fidelity charitable donor-advised fund) and the money I have there is simply set-and-forget. But their web site is fluffy and has a lot of useless to me information cluttering it up.

I don't have an account at Schwab.

Anyways, I can see why people like any and all of them. I can see why I really don't like any of them and would recommend a different broker that you did not ask about.

I don't need a broker to do any research at all since the internet has all the research I need faster and better.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #35

When at Fidelity, be sure you get connected to their international folks. I do not have personal experience but a colleague who does a lot of trading in non US stocks, told me how impressed he was at their capabilities and attractive costs. Not sure who he had been using (thinking it was a full service brokerage, maybe Merrill) but apparently blew them away on cost, trading tools, and services).
BTW, portfolio at 1Mill will put u in Fido's Private Client level. If your portfolio is large enuff. maybe split between Schwab and Fido for a year to see which best fits you. Personally would not pursue Vanguard as their trading tools are a distance third.
ETA--be sure what "incentives" each choice will offer to attract your biz. Right now I think Fido is promoting free trades
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Very happy with Schwab. 100% free trades. Great advisor who does not bother us. We met several times and got me pointed in the right direction. I am self directed, but can call my advisor any time for questions - at no charge. Only a small percentage in Schwab funds. Works very well for us...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I can see why I really don't like any of them and would recommend a different broker that you did not ask about.
And, who would you recommend?
Old 08-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
And, who would you recommend?
Well, you should certainly check out Schwab who I don't have an opinion of.

I use TDAmeritrade and WellsTrade.

WT is the best at real-time updating of everything for my needs and has a very clean no-nonsense, no flufff web site with superb trade executions. You might have to call them to get a form or something, but phone support is superb for me.

TDAmeritrade probably has more products that you may need. I use the real-time Level II quotes and order book display in my TDAmeritrade account whenever I make a transaction at any of my brokers. TDAmeritrade has local offices that may come in handy, but like all of these local offices the service will depend on the person in the office.

And I am sure the local Schwab, TDAmeritrade, Fidelity, and other offices are just playing musicals chairs with their people. So if a salesrep quits TDAmeritrade, they may show up at Schwab.

Both give me free trades for the things I want to buy/sell, but they may not give you free trades.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Well, you should certainly check out Schwab who I don't have an opinion of.

I use TDAmeritrade and WellsTrade.

WT is the best at real-time updating of everything for my needs and has a very clean no-nonsense, no flufff web site with superb trade executions. You might have to call them to get a form or something, but phone support is superb for me.

TDAmeritrade probably has more products that you may need. I use the real-time Level II quotes and order book display in my TDAmeritrade account whenever I make a transaction at any of my brokers. TDAmeritrade has local offices that may come in handy, but like all of these local offices the service will depend on the person in the office.

And I am sure the local Schwab, TDAmeritrade, Fidelity, and other offices are just playing musicals chairs with their people. So if a salesrep quits TDAmeritrade, they may show up at Schwab.

Both give me free trades for the things I want to buy/sell, but they may not give you free trades.
Here is the first summary/review I came across re Wellstrade. https://www.brokerage-review.com/onl...de-review.aspx
Entire fee structure is above Fido and Schwab unless you have a Wells Fargo account. And if you do happen to still be with WF, the charges for other services do not strike me as "great deals"
Frankly, given the many many ethical behavior issues Wells Fargo has admitted to, I would seriously wonder not if, but when comparable misbehaviors will be revealed for this part of WFargo.
YMMV
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have accounts with all three, and give another thumbs up to Schwab, for the reasons others have mentioned: focus on individual investors, intuitive web site and mobile app, great CS (the CSRs are VERY sharp, it's always such a relief to talk with them and have my problem solved), linked checking, wide range of services. My independent financial advisor also likes Schwab, uses them for bond trading. My ex got me into Vanguard and their index funds are pretty good, I think. And I appreciate the company's culture/history of low-cost investing (just like Chuck Schwab pioneered low cost trading). But....their usability isn't as good IMO. Fidelity is home to my 401k. Don't have any other experience with them.
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote