Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: WHOAA!!! Everyone back to work!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
At least I dont go around telling people I retired with no plan and no money and got by on brains and balls when its my wifes paycheck I'm living off of.

You know, I used to like you John, and even privately stuck up for you a couple of times when people got on your case.* I enjoyed our snappy ripostes.* *If you're upset that I made more money than you when I was working, retired earlier than you did with more money, have a higher IQ than you do, and know enough to leave the white wine in the fridge when eating red meat, I very humbly apologize.* You can quit being a turd anytime now.

If its such a linchpin issue for you, PM me your fax number and I'll fax you a copy of the frickin IQ test results, my 1040's from my last 3 years working and any other salient documentation that will satisfy you.
Nothing you have to say or could provide would be of any interest. You are
probably a great guy. Based on your posts, you're an ignorant prick.
But...........I wish you a good life anyway. Happy trails.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #22

Whoa!* Barf-O-Rama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
If you're upset that I made more money than you when I was working, retired earlier than you did with more money, have a higher IQ than you do, and know enough to leave the white wine in the fridge when eating red meat, I very humbly apologize....PM me your fax number and I'll fax you a copy of the frickin IQ test results, my 1040's from my last 3 years working and any other salient documentation that will satisfy you.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Whoa!* Barf-O-Rama.
Probably a CHP.

JG
Old 07-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #24

Not sure what our hero is smoke'n ... anybody who achieved retirement had some saving decipline which will no longer be needed (25% of income for us). Add the reduced tax burden (33% becomes 15% of us) and you easily trimmed 40% off your working income needed in retirement.

Our hero neglects this simple math .... but hey, he can keep work'n until he achieves 120%.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
you're an ignorant prick.
Oh i'm definitely a prick, but ignorant? Oh come now.

At least I'm a prick with a higher IQ, higher net worth, lower age that can ER on his own stash and can tell people the whole story and not try to mislead them to inflate my own ego.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

You know, I thought I'd epilogue this with a note. I spent a couple of hours writing this while I was defrosting a really nice looking piece of brisket that I'm going to cook up and serve my dad while he's helping me with his grandson (that he's almost inseperable from) tomorrow while my wife is working. And its a slightly CHP, for what thats worth.

Lately it seems I'm "into it" with a fair number of people.* To some degree, I think this has to do with the fact that i'm involved in many posts in almost 'real time'.* I have (at this point) three PC's in 'suspend'...one in my office, one in the living room and one on the rear patio...I am regularly reading the news, bits of this and that, sniffing my porfolio, and interspersed I check here for snappy riposte, funny jokes, good one-liners and occasionally useful information.* So i'm in and out of here every 30-60 minutes just to check on whats going on.* Sometimes its just chuckles and interesting bits.* Sometimes its bait but I dont know that yet and I want to know more.

I have to admit that in the real world I've followed a simple credo.* When I think someone is crapping in my hat, I usually ask them if they're doing it on purpose and/or give them a little shove back, followed by asking if the hat crapping is what they intended.* My experience says that if you dont push back, the hat crapping continues and the crap gets bigger.* When I was a kid, I dealt with the usual neighborhood bullies.* I found that if you punched them in the head, they usually found less uhh...'responsive' people to bully.* Later in life when I was big enough to BE a bully,* I found that kicking the bullies butts was more rewarding than being one.* So I usually give someone a little rope and then a hard push.* Just to let them know I'm in the game.* If they persist, I usually ask a second time if thats what they really want.* If they arent done with it, I drop the bomb and keep dropping it until they're done.* If you're like most people, you're focused on bombs #2-nnn, rather than what led up to it.* Makes me look like a read troublemaker...

Sometimes its someone who says something and they're completely pulling it out of their butt, and both of us know it.* More often than not, they dont have the smarts to just say "My bad...I'm pulling this out of my butt" and leave it at that.* Sometimes its someone trying to be 'controversial' and they decide to make it personal.* Sometimes its some egotistical a-hole who just wants to fight.* Sometimes its some juvenile shiat for brains that doesnt know a bad idea when they walk into it.

Suffice it to say, anyone who knows their stuff, anyone who is willing to help me understand their point of view (no matter how variant), anyone who can keep it about the issue...I'm there with you until the bitter end.* Unfortunately, hockeys 'third man in' rule is very much in effect here.* Nobody remembers the 10 posts where the guy holds the fresh from his butt statement, the subsequent posts where I gently ask for more info, the initial name calling, and the early ugliness.* They remember the parts where I give the bare fisted goodness to someone who has just wasted 2-3 days of my time or someone who thought it might be a good idea to crap in my hat over 'the internet' and see what happens.

If you're making stuff up, if you're reading neo-celebrity books and believing "if its on the internet it must be true', if you have some prejudice and found plenty of prejudicial people who wrote reports that make you feel better about being a racist dick,or if you're just being argumentative...I cant resist.

I spent an entire career kissing peoples asses, watching what I said, and smoothing out the waves.* Thats behind me now.

Johnny...I'm sure you're a swell guy.* I thought you liked the give and take.* I figured it was something you were seeking out.* I almost expected that someday soon we'd see a obituary with the addendum that "the guy 'i didnt know' gave me a good tough time the last few months and i appreciated that."* The nasty personal stuff thats been coming out of you that I've felt (on the primitive level) needed to be given back to you...well...makes me think otherwise.* John, I'm not a substance abuser, I'm not ignorant, and i'm highly, highly employable.* And not one thing I've ever said was untrue to my knowledge or a half truth designed go make myself look good, even though I was in marketing...Trust me.

I'm going to close with a short statement.* Anyone here is welcome in my home.* For a conversation, a meal, or to stay a week or two.* Beyond that you pay rent and I'm a bad landlord.* I think your comments would be uniform, that I'm surprisingly quiet, accommodating, friendly and inquisitive.* And occasionally when you bring something up thats really different and/or unusual, you feel like an auger just ran into you.* On the other hand, if you're a contentless weener who just likes to stir up the conversation to see what will happen and you dont actually know anything...you'll meet my tiny front lawn with drink still in hand (I'm not a complete barbarian) and get to have a nice talk with any blade of grass you like...until I turn the dogs loose on you. First guy that figures out how to let my dog Ted loose on some internet jerkoff gets $100,000 cash in hand. It'll be worth every penny and more.

Make your own jokes
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I have (at this point) three PC's in 'suspend'...one in my office, one in the living room and one on the rear patio
You should put one in the kitchen, it's great
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Not Me; I might just take you up on that visit! Sounds fun - drinks on me. Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
"People often wrongly assume that their expenses are going to come down when they retire, but in fact they often go up," said Don Blandin, ASEC's president. "Depending on how long you live, the kinds of medical problems you have and the kind of lifestyle you want, you may need 120 percent of your current income during retirement."
Just opinion...

current budget about 25-30% of gross. biggest expense remodelling investment props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I'm going to close with a short statement. Anyone here is welcome in my home. For a conversation, a meal, or to stay a week or two.
Hmm..what's there to see in Yuba City?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #30

Did you get permission from CNN to post that here? That looks like the whole article to me.

I think you need it.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #31

Well, I for one, had to cover my eyes and peek through my fingers.* After comparing incomes, IQ's, and early retirement ages, I just knew what was going to be whipped out next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Make your own jokes
Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
You know, I thought I'd epilogue this with a note.* I spent a couple of hours writing this while I was defrosting a really nice looking piece of brisket that I'm going to cook up and serve my dad while he's helping me with his grandson (that he's almost inseperable from) tomorrow while my wife is working.* And its a slightly CHP, for what thats worth.

Lately it seems I'm "into it" with a fair number of people.* To some degree, I think this has to do with the fact that i'm involved in many posts in almost 'real time'.* I have (at this point) three PC's in 'suspend'...one in my office, one in the living room and one on the rear patio...I am regularly reading the news, bits of this and that, sniffing my porfolio, and interspersed I check here for snappy riposte, funny jokes, good one-liners and occasionally useful information.* So i'm in and out of here every 30-60 minutes just to check on whats going on.* Sometimes its just chuckles and interesting bits.* Sometimes its bait but I dont know that yet and I want to know more.

I have to admit that in the real world I've followed a simple credo.* When I think someone is crapping in my hat, I usually ask them if they're doing it on purpose and/or give them a little shove back, followed by asking if the hat crapping is what they intended.* My experience says that if you dont push back, the hat crapping continues and the crap gets bigger.* When I was a kid, I dealt with the usual neighborhood bullies.* I found that if you punched them in the head, they usually found less uhh...'responsive' people to bully.* Later in life when I was big enough to BE a bully,* I found that kicking the bullies butts was more rewarding than being one.* So I usually give someone a little rope and then a hard push.* Just to let them know I'm in the game.* If they persist, I usually ask a second time if thats what they really want.* If they arent done with it, I drop the bomb and keep dropping it until they're done.* If you're like most people, you're focused on bombs #2-nnn, rather than what led up to it.* Makes me look like a read troublemaker...

Sometimes its someone who says something and they're completely pulling it out of their butt, and both of us know it.* More often than not, they dont have the smarts to just say "My bad...I'm pulling this out of my butt" and leave it at that.* Sometimes its someone trying to be 'controversial' and they decide to make it personal.* Sometimes its some egotistical a-hole who just wants to fight.* Sometimes its some juvenile shiat for brains that doesnt know a bad idea when they walk into it.

Suffice it to say, anyone who knows their stuff, anyone who is willing to help me understand their point of view (no matter how variant), anyone who can keep it about the issue...I'm there with you until the bitter end.* Unfortunately, hockeys 'third man in' rule is very much in effect here.* Nobody remembers the 10 posts where the guy holds the fresh from his butt statement, the subsequent posts where I gently ask for more info, the initial name calling, and the early ugliness.* They remember the parts where I give the bare fisted goodness to someone who has just wasted 2-3 days of my time or someone who thought it might be a good idea to crap in my hat over 'the internet' and see what happens.

If you're making stuff up, if you're reading neo-celebrity books and believing "if its on the internet it must be true', if you have some prejudice and found plenty of prejudicial people who wrote reports that make you feel better about being a racist dick,or if you're just being argumentative...I cant resist.

I spent an entire career kissing peoples asses, watching what I said, and smoothing out the waves.* Thats behind me now.

Johnny...I'm sure you're a swell guy.* I thought you liked the give and take.* I figured it was something you were seeking out.* I almost expected that someday soon we'd see a obituary with the addendum that "the guy 'i didnt know' gave me a good tough time the last few months and i appreciated that."* The nasty personal stuff thats been coming out of you that I've felt (on the primitive level) needed to be given back to you...well...makes me think otherwise.* John, I'm not a substance abuser, I'm not ignorant, and i'm highly, highly employable.* And not one thing I've ever said was untrue to my knowledge or a half truth designed go make myself look good, even though I was in marketing...Trust me.

I'm going to close with a short statement.* Anyone here is welcome in my home.* For a conversation, a meal, or to stay a week or two.* Beyond that you pay rent and I'm a bad landlord.* I think your comments would be uniform, that I'm surprisingly quiet, accommodating, friendly and inquisitive.* And occasionally when you bring something up thats really different and/or unusual, you feel like an auger just ran into you.* On the other hand, if you're a contentless weener who just likes to stir up the conversation to see what will happen and you dont actually know anything...you'll meet my tiny front lawn with drink still in hand (I'm not a complete barbarian) and get to have a nice talk with any blade of grass you like...until I turn the dogs loose on you.* First guy that figures out how to let my dog Ted loose on some internet jerkoff gets $100,000 cash in hand.* It'll be worth every penny and more.

Make your own jokes
I honestly wouldn't know where to start

JG
Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

After reading 200+ articles saying anything from "hey, you only need 30%" to "AAAAH YOU NEED 200%" I realise what they are worth. I'm putting a lot more faith in my excel spreadsheets to tell me what I'll need.

WRT the other subject in this thread: I'm glad I'm not the richest smartest or most succesful person on the board (by a long shot!). People always gun for the top dogs.

I have read some posts I have put up here and thought, "I'm not nearly as bent about this as I come off in writing!". One case in particular where some guy posted a joke about kids with Down Syndrome comes to mind-like he knew my daughter has DS! But heat of the moment comments here get saved forever, and the permanence tends to emphasize the effect. I wonder if a study has been done on BBS/chat room societal dynamics?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Hum. I am home from work today on the third day of a migraine headache. Finally feel like I can sit up without losing my cookies.

I do try to remember my upbringing which emphasized "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" when trying to make a point, but I am not always successful.

When people disagree, both often want to have the last word. Not possible here unless someone leaves (h***s comes to mind). So kayaks, pets and pancakes are useful signals.

Yous are welcome in my house too.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Oh i'm definitely a prick, but ignorant?* Oh come now.

At least I'm a prick with a higher IQ, higher net worth, lower age that can ER on his own stash and can tell people the whole story and not try to mislead them to inflate my own ego.

Are you TH, NotTH, or ()? Why do you keep changing your ID?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Some of this reminds me of when I was 4 or 5, and we boys spent our time seeing who could pee the farthest.

Impressive credential - I peed the farthest in kindergarten! OTOH, if I could pee the farthest now both I and my doctor would be justifiably proud.

Ha
Old 07-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Hum.* I am home from work today on the third day of a migraine headache.* Finally feel like I can sit up without losing my cookies.*
Martha, sorry to hear of your migraine. Get well quick!

Ha