Who's kept investing during the great correction?

The "Great Correction"? Is that what it's being called *this time*? Oye...

But yes; I continue to invest and won't stop.

Its up Its down Its up Its down.
I guess many people have only tax-deferred or tax-free accounts. These investors can at least theoretically move in and out of equities with little trouble, little expense, and no tax.

A different story for those of us who have a lot of assets in taxable accounts.

Ha

:ROFLMAO: That's what I was thinking, too!

I know this will inspire some horror and trembling, but I am doing exactly the same thing that I did in 2008-2009!!!! Oh the humanity. :eek:

That is, I am doing nothing. In about 13 days, I will do my annual rebalancing as always.

I'd consider this a "healthy" correction, but not a great one. :greetings10:

Maybe you didn't need it, but I certainly needed it.

I'd consider this a "healthy" correction, but not a great one. :greetings10:

Maybe you didn't need it, but I certainly needed it.

Let it hit 20%, so the saying that the bull market is too long and all the negative psychology that goes with that is gone.

I guess many people have only tax-deferred or tax-free accounts. These investors can at least theoretically move in and out of equities with little trouble, little expense, and no tax.

A different story for those of us who have a lot of assets in taxable accounts.

+1! Taxes complicate the urge to time the market... Assuming you have a lot of unrealized gains the taxable account..

I'm a boglehead, which = boringhead. My bi-weekly 401k contribution keeps going in, market up or market down. I will have to rebalance in Jan as planned unless a huge santa claus rally happens.

I have kept gambling, don't think many would call it investing.

It has been crazy. I picked up some real bargain isle stuff near end of day today but for all I know it could be marked down more tomorrow.

The Gilead I sold this morning for $66.60 I bought back for $63.97

I'll sell it again if somone gives me $65.70

Still in accumulation stage so of course I'm investing.

I’ve been picking off a few battered financials (grabbing a falling knife?), and grabbing a few high yield energy companies in my IRA. I will also be selling a few stinkers for the tax loss soon.

I parked the proceeds from a fairly significant capital gain in a Fidelity institutional money fund. If the train comes completely off the tracks, I’ll invest some of this in an equity index fund. Otherwise, I will look for a relatively safe income investment. I’m 61, and my personal risk tolerance is waning.....

What else am I going to do ? Every line I ever get into is always wrong and inevitably someone has to write a check, or buy stamps and hold things up. Every lane of traffic I decide to move into moves more slowly than the one I came from ...

All I now know to do is keep doing what I am doing. If prices don't double from here I wont be able to afford to retire regardless of what I do so ...

Well you didn't buy at the high for sure. Might cut that dividend though. GL

Did you mean this will not be a great bear, just a great correction? then I will buy.

Nibbling.

Nibbling.
I was considering a change to increase stocks from 60% to 65% before this correction.

If I stick with 60% then I'll be nibbling as I rebalance.

If I decide to make the change then I'll be gorging.

I'm leaning towards this being a good time to make the change.

Same as always, I don't invest, I trade (gamble is my definition). And a lot more lately.

Last edited:
I maintain a 55/45 AA. I rebalance when I’m off by 5%. Right now I’m at 52% so it’s not quite time to do anything yet, but if it continues to go down I will buy some equities to get back to 55%.

As with every other correction/bear market/crash, this too will pass.

Stop investing as I am retired (yay!), but on the other hand, I have not changed my allocation. I am still 85% in stocks and have no plans to change that.

My spouse, who is not is the least bit interested in investments, has an enormous amount of common sense. She never wants me to sell or sell at a loss when everyone else is selling. Rather, she views it as a golden opportunity to hold and/or to buy, but buy wisely. So this has been what we have done.

This common sense advice has served us well through several downturns. It enabled us to retire early and be financially secure. Sure, we are careful about allocation however we do not let fear, and media generated fear, to push us off our course. Whenever I feel unsure about this approach or doubt it I simply have a chat with her.

Nothing worse than getting out of the market at a low point, moving into interest bearing instruments, and then missing out on the upturn. Beats the hell out of your retirement nest egg.

I'm a boglehead, which = boringhead. My bi-weekly 401k contribution keeps going in, market up or market down. I will have to rebalance in Jan as planned unless a huge santa claus rally happens.

Dollar cost averaging worked for me in 08. So, I will keep investing 2k monthly in 401k

I was considering a change to increase stocks from 60% to 65% before this correction.

If I stick with 60% then I'll be nibbling as I rebalance.

If I decide to make the change then I'll be gorging.

I'm leaning towards this being a good time to make the change.

Similar here, except it's 92% and 95%. And the nibbling/gorging analogy doesn't quite fit.

Rebalanced last week and am off kilter a bit more so may do a rebalance tomorrow morning if I'm feeling more pseudo-OCD or less lazy.

Still at a ~1.5% net WR, so it really isn't scary from that perspective. And that has fat I could cut.

Last edited:
Same as always. Investing monthly in whatever asset is out of whack the most and monitoring allocation to see if a threshold is crossed and rebalancing if it is. Looking for opportunities to tax loss harvest as well ..

Back
Top Bottom