Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have seen the monthly dividends per share in my main bond fund drop from 5 cents to 3 cents, a serious drop. I have been able to buy more shares over the years to offset some of that drop, but I would still welcome some increase in the DPS, even back to 4 cents per share.

I also wouldn't mind the DPS drop if my dang health insurance premiums weren't rising 15-20% per year, making it now my biggest expense.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #22

Rising rates are generally better for better for lenders and worse for borrowers. The Federal Reserve sees higher rates as heading off excess inflation by moderating business activity.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
For home buyers it's bad news
But isn't it possible that if the average 30 year fixed went from 4.50% to 6.50%
(still fairly low historically) home prices 'could' drop enough to make it a 'wash' or maybe even a gain for the buyer ?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #24

I'm fine with rising rates... that is as soon as I lock in my 30-year mortgage here in a few days. Then they can do what they want. I'd appreciate a safer haven for short-term cash yielding a little bit more, even if inflation goes up. Rising inflation - within reason - can help a number of economic indicators.

I think people on this board are generally favorable to this because most aren't looking to borrow or running adjustable rate debt.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

I hate rising rates, makes my bonds go down.

Oh well they are there just so that I don't have all my dough in stocks -
Old 08-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
But isn't it possible that if the average 30 year fixed went from 4.50% to 6.50%
(still fairly low historically) home prices 'could' drop enough to make it a 'wash' or maybe even a gain for the buyer ?
I would say that it is iffy at best. In the New York City or San Francisco or possibly Los Angeles housing markets I doubt that home prices would come down enough to help much. In other markets there is more of a chance, but less of an advantage because the prices are lower from a starting point.

But is it possible? Of course. But the question to me is how likely is it? How much of an advantage would there be if home prices did come down significantly?

Unfortunately in markets where it would help the most, IMO it would be the least likely to happen. Also, one has to consider that home owners may be less likely to sell in a down market.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
that double digit interest income is liable to come with an increasing tax obligation .. that might be unpleasant for some
I'll take my chances.

Reminds me of when I got my first company car. An S Class Mercedes. Someone told me "yeah, but watch out; you're going to have to pay taxes on that lease payment! It counts as income."

I replied: "So, I get to drive an $80,000 car but I have to pay an extra $2500 in taxes? Oh....ok".