Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why are lottery winnings taxed
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They're taxed because they can be, and nobody will feel at all sympathetic to someone who won $200M and had to pay a lot of taxes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
They're taxed because they can be, and nobody will feel at all sympathetic to someone who won $200M and had to pay a lot of taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
The Canadians do not tax their lottery winnings. But, if I win, I still have to pay in the US.
Ed, would our American patriotism really survive winning $113M?

I'd seriously consider dropping my passport in the return mail on my way to the nearest Thai massage parlor...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Lotteries are a huge revenue generator for the state making up about 2% of all state revenue and as much as 8% for some states. When viewed appropriately as a regressive tax scheme, it makes perfect sense that the government minimizes its losses by taxing distributions.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd seriously consider dropping my passport in the return mail on my way to the nearest Thai massage parlor...
No joy, Nords. Even if one renounces one's US citizenship, one owes taxes to Uncle for the next ten years. Ask Mark Mobius.

Pay and sleep well.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Couldn't you make the argument that US lottery winnings should be taxed as a capital gain?

Also if I can write off gambling losses... if I win 300m in the powerball and owe 100m in tax... couldn't I just go put 100m on red in vegas, and if I lose, write it off, coming out even?
No... it is not a capital asset...

No... you can write off the $100m from the$300m and pay taxes on the remaining $200m... the write off is not a credit..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Because the dummies who buy lotto tickets don't vote. They are too busy smoking, drinking and eating trans fat??
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why? That is simple. The purchase of the ticket is a tax. The winnings are a tax refund which is income.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote