Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #201
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
The callousness of some of the people on this board never ceases to amaze me.

It's one thing to admit that you believe that anything you worked for is yours and yours alone, and that you did it without any help from anyone or from the government. If you can really justify a philosophy that feels good about stepping over bodies on the street because you believe that they had the same opportunities of you but were too lazy to capitalize on them, then live in your dream world. You are making questionable judgments about the mental, emotional, and spiritual state of other people, but at least there is no empirical evidence to the contrary since all is part of the "inner word." Of course, this ignores the question of such people's children and their "original sins."

However, to argue that poverty and it's attendant suffering doesn't really exist, and furthermore and that it's all much ado about nothing--this blows me away.

Some of you must lead very sheltered, unobservant lives. Keep your blinders on and keep telling yourself you are where you are due to your own merits.
Excellent! I don't have to respond to the OP, since your response says it all IMHO ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All this talk of cheap food and no one mentions the lowly potato?

Potatoes are a cheap source of calories, and they are also very nutritious.

You can eat healthy and pretty cheap, but you have to know which foods are healthy, and you have to know how to cook.

You also have to be willing to expend the time and energy to cook. That usually ends up being my problem.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
All this talk of cheap food and no one mentions the lowly potato?

Potatoes are a cheap source of calories, and they are also very nutritious.

You can eat healthy and pretty cheap, but you have to know which foods are healthy, and you have to know how to cook.
Unfortunately, cheap starch-rich foods like potatoes and grains are terrible for your blood sugar - not exactly "healthy". If you rely on them for most of your caloric intake you are looking at obesity/type-2 diabetes and be malnourished at the same time!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #204
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Unfortunately, cheap starch-rich foods like potatoes and grains are terrible for your blood sugar - not exactly "healthy". If you rely on them for most of your caloric intake you are looking at obesity/type-2 diabetes and be malnourished at the same time!

Audrey
Agree, no wonder french freedom fries are so cheap..
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #205
Dryer sheet aficionado

Potatoes are a daily staple when you're poor. Fried, scalloped, baked, mashed, french fries, potatoe soup...made it seem like you were eating something different everyday. Breakfast was a bowl of white rice with a bit of milk or a piece of toast torn up in a bowl with a bit of milk. Nutrition wasn't thought about much. It was all about filling your stomach as cheap as possible.
TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #206
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
Potatoes are a daily staple when you're poor. Fried, scalloped, baked, mashed, french fries, potatoe soup...made it seem like you were eating something different everyday. Breakfast was a bowl of white rice with a bit of milk or a piece of toast torn up in a bowl with a bit of milk. Nutrition wasn't thought about much. It was all about filling your stomach as cheap as possible.
At home Mam would always buy a big paper bag of potatoes (56lb) every year at harvest time when they were least expensive and the bag would sit at the back of the pantry. We'd have potatoes every day while that bag was in the pantry . As kids we'd take a potato with us into the woods and make a fire and cook it. We'd eat it completely, blackened, charcoaled skin and all.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #207
Recycles dryer sheets

My father's mother would cook potatoes for the children in the morning - walk to school in winter in Canada with hand-warmers and eat upon arrival!

ta,
mew

ps: my father's comment was "As kids, we were poor, but so was everyone, so we didn't know and didn't mind. TV makes you envy others."
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #208
Confused about dryer sheets

"Why are people poor?"

The answer to this question wouldn't be because other people have the money, would it?

thriver1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Just curious, when you are really really poor and you eat a lot of potatoes, do you get to eat any protein (besides the obvious beans and such that have a lot of carbs)? You get to eat chicken only on special occasions like birthdays and such?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Poor? Reasons? Some are just born into the wrong caste. Spend a little time in Calcutta. Or any large city in India. Gives a little different perspective on the problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #211
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Just curious, when you are really really poor and you eat a lot of potatoes, do you get to eat any protein (besides the obvious beans and such that have a lot of carbs)? You get to eat chicken only on special occasions like birthdays and such?
Yes, I did have meat growing up, just not on a daily basis. We had 3 "expected" suppers every week. Every Thursday we ate beans and cornbread, Friday was potatoe soup and hamburgers, Saturday was biscuits with gravy or homemade white syrup (sugar and water). We had chicken about twice a month. We ate a lot of vegetables, because we had a large garden. My mom canned a lot of vegetables to help get us through the winters. She made so many things for us; jelly (I remember prying off the wax top), pickles, apple pie (about 5 a year, apples from our big apple tree), homemade donuts (once a month - deep fried and then rolled in sugar). She did her best to give us those kind of treats when she could. My mom and dad did the best they could. I'm the kind of person to always try to find the "rainbow" in any given situation. Growing up poor provided many good things in my life. It taught me not to judge people that are in a lower social circle than me. You may have no idea the reasons for their lack of money or social skills, etc. As an adult who has done well financially, it taught me to never think I was any better than anybody else. It taught me to help others that are trying to help themselves. It taught me to appreciate so many things in life. It taught me to give back. It also provided for some unique opportunities....I saw the mountains and the ocean with my kids for the first time. While I try to find the good, obviously I would never want to return to that kind of life. It was tough.
TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriver1000 View Post
"Why are people poor?"

The answer to this question wouldn't be because other people have the money, would it?

The main advantage of money is having more of it than the other guy.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #213

Potatoes have some protein, but not a lot.

If you pair potatoes with whole milk though, you have a pretty complete diet nutritionally.

It's not an exciting diet, but you shouldn't suffer from malnutrition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Old 01-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #214

At least the potatoes have a large amount of nutritional content along with the starch, compared to a lot of the alternatives like bread and pasta made with bleached white flour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Potatoes have some protein, but not a lot.

If you pair potatoes with whole milk though, you have a pretty complete diet nutritionally.

It's not an exciting diet, but you shouldn't suffer from malnutrition.

Very true. However some people will not be happy until all the poor people shop at "Whole Foods".
Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #216
Confused about dryer sheets

Why people are poor:

I think it's time for me to save and exercise more. Of course, it was always time for that. I can definitely buy more cashmere and less house now. No more guilt.
thriver1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

This is a very impressive woman and a very impressive body of work.

Ha
Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Just finished watching the clip. Excellent data presented. She did not explain why people are poor.

She did make an excellent case for why middle class types not might but will become poor.

The first item that struck me was the cost and size of initial fixed expense as a function of the initial large house purchase (which in the seventies and before would have been the the third or fourth house bought or traded up to), followed by the child care and the gotta do pre-school expense. Third, the health care expense was a biggie as well. The first two essentially wipes out any economic benefit of one of the working partners in the hypothetical 2 worker 2 kid unit.

A lot of arguments can be made for the first two items on my list, I put it in the negative of greed and the want it now mentality. Seems the middle class of the last 20 or so years is/was not into LBYM.

Splendid presentation.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
A lot of arguments can be made for the first two items on my list, I put it in the negative of greed and the want it now mentality. Seems the middle class of the last 20 or so years is/was not into LBYM.

Splendid presentation.
IMO, many on this board have unusual life experience that does not aquaint them with the challenges faced by most ordinary people.

To take the metro where I live, there are really only 2 or three areas where a upward striving couple would allow their children to attend public school. Most of the others have schools that are either dangerous, or useless. So many on this board are without children that this really does not compute for them.

In these "good school" neighborhoods a 1500 sq ft 50s bungalow with significant upkeep and repair issues even now sells for $400,000 +.

In the area where I grew up, the main city has seen it's schools destroyed, while across the river in a different state with a quality school district 1920s bungalows like the one that was my blue collar parents starter home in 1938 are now occupied by lawyers and GS-13s. Same home, only 70 years older and much more expensive in real dollars.

It's not "need it now" at all, IMO.

Ha
Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

She did explain that many people will go into hock big time to "buy the school". It makes sense from a parenting view, but does immensly improve the likelyhood of way overspending, moving into negative savings territory and thus becoming insolvent if one partner looses earning.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

In my elementary school in the old country 45 to 50 kids in grades one trough eight were the rule. It was true in the majority of the schools.