Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
In my elementary school in the old country 45 to 50 kids in grades one trough eight were the rule. It was true in the majority of the schools.
I understand. Similarly, my first grade class in Catholic school had 70 pupils. But we learned, partly because if we didn't we got the crap beat out of us first by the nun, next by our parents. Those of us who transferred to public high school found out that we were way ahead.

Do you have school age children now? If so you may understand that class size is the least of the problems in our modern public school system, though it is one that teachers are allowed to discuss.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No. In a long ago previous post I noted that I raised 2 of my late brother's daughters to adulthhood. True that was a while back.

I think arguing the merits of schools and what to do about the state of them could be good. That subject is beyond my fixing.

IMHO the main thrust of the video was why is it likely that middle class may/will become poor. She made an excellent data based argument that the middle class is likely to become poor.

I accept your argument that parents feel compelled to give the best available start to the kids. However that need to give the best start is what can be their downfall. Only the parents today can aswer that by taking the risk they do. If they fail as unit because of wanting the best, it is their gamble and have to live with the consequences.

Once they fail, they will get to experience a far worse environment, both in living conditions and schooling, than if they choose the somewhat less then best. The shock to them is usually immense.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #223
Administrator

very good lecture - thanks for posting.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
IMO, many on this board have unusual life experience that does not aquaint them with the challenges faced by most ordinary people.

To take the metro where I live, there are really only 2 or three areas where a upward striving couple would allow their children to attend public school. Most of the others have schools that are either dangerous, or useless. So many on this board are without children that this really does not compute for them.

In these "good school" neighborhoods a 1500 sq ft 50s bungalow with significant upkeep and repair issues even now sells for $400,000 +.

In the area where I grew up, the main city has seen it's schools destroyed, while across the river in a different state with a quality school district 1920s bungalows like the one that was my blue collar parents starter home in 1938 are now occupied by lawyers and GS-13s. Same home, only 70 years older and much more expensive in real dollars.

It's not "need it now" at all, IMO.

Ha
I was struck by the bolded part. I think that "ordinary" people live in "ordinary" communities. According to this source, the median selling price of a single-family house is about $178,000.

Metropolitan Median Prices
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I was struck by the bolded part. I think that "ordinary" people live in "ordinary" communities. According to this source, the median selling price of a single-family house is about $178,000.

Metropolitan Median Prices
Thats the problem with doing comparisons based off of personal experience, and not objective facts. HA HAs experience in a metro area is vastly different from mine in a rural area. IN my areas a decent home costs about $200-$250k $400k buys a very nice home. And all the public schools in my area are quite good. Yet, neither of us can argue that our experiences are applicable to the "ordinary" person.

To echo your point, people often think they live in the norm, but rarely do. Or, as my college science teacher used to say: A sample of one is not a sample.

As an aside: I've always wondered why people would choose to live in places like HA HA describes (Where schools are shoddy or houses are prohibitively expensive). Unless the pay is great at work (So you can afford the house and private schooling), whats the point?
Keim is online now   Reply With Quote