Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
One of my favorite quotes as I have often been told how "lucky" I am.

"Luck is preparation meeting opportunity."
Oprah Winfrey

2fer
I believe that one was Seneca (First century Roman philosopher).

Also there is "Chance favors the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur.

Seneca is also the author of one of my favorite quotes - "I don't consider myself bald, I'm just taller than my hair."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Seneca is also the author of one of my favorite quotes - "I don't consider myself bald, I'm just taller than my hair."
His hair grew inside his head, I presume.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Several posters attributed a man's financial success to his wife. We have often seen that a spendthrift woman can ruin a man's finance. But then, how do you explain this saying that I just found in an E-mail sent from a friend?
"A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need." - Anon

Ah, our man has the propensity to waste $2, while his woman squanders on smaller trinkets. Who is the big spender now?

Regardless, wouldn't it be safer to stay single, lest you get yourself hitched to a wrong one?

But having a woman to care for you, keep your socks matched up, and keep your fridge stocked with beer ought to count for something, no? I think there have been some statistics showing that married men live longer than single men.

But then, my friend's E-mail also contains the following.
"Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are a lot more willing to die." - Anon

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #124
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But having a woman to care for you, keep your socks matched up, and keep your fridge stocked with beer ought to count for something, no? I think there have been some statistics showing that married men live longer than single men.
My DW has been an awful more than that. We graduated together as EE's - she was the first ever woman from the University we attended. For the first 7 years together we both earned the same money then she quit for a few years to have and bring up our kids. She has always been very frugal and very debt averse etc.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Several posters attributed a man's financial success to his wife. We have often seen that a spendthrift woman can ruin a man's finance.
In our case he was the spender and I the saver.
Quote:
But having a woman to care for you, keep your socks matched up, and keep your fridge stocked with beer ought to count for something, no?
Concerning the socks, he can handle that now since they are all white...no more dress socks. I still keep the fridge stocked with beer. 50/50 don't ya know...
Quote:
"Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are a lot more willing to die." -
Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My DW has been an awful more than that...
Mine does more than that too. Just the first random things that came to mind. I always make more, but we never keep "his" and "hers". About beer in the fridge, she does not even drink. Yes, even the few bottles of Cognac XO I ever had in my life, she bought them for me. So, I don't want to die yet.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Concerning the socks, he can handle that now since they are all white...no more dress socks.
I hope my wife doesn't come across this idea.

Gee, my part-time work still takes me outside of the house sometimes. I look geeky enough without white socks and dark pants.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Gee, my part-time work still takes me outside of the house sometimes. I look geeky enough without white socks and dark pants.
Ahhh c'mon NW...sing along wif me....

Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

These very cool gentlemen wear white socks and dark pants and aren't geeky at all. And, in keeping with the topic of this thread, they weren't poor. They came up with $5k to pay the taxes on the orphanage.

My condolences on the part-time work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluesbrothers.jpg (19.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I know why people are poor. Any dataset arranges itself from top to bottom, or bottom to top. There must be quartiles and deciles. Then sociologists, helpers, the welfare establishment and politicians name some part of the lower group "poor" and some of the upper part "rich".

As citizens our task is to look poor to the authorities, while still able to live well.

Ha
Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Ha,

Would you mind if I plagarize that and send it to three friends who need to read it? If I lie and say it's mine, it'll piss 'em off more.......... I know you'd never know anyway, but I just couldn't do it. And I wouldn't want to violate the FireCalc board copyright laws!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Help yourself!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i think the USA outlawed being poor in this country decades ago. of course there are people with less wealth/income than others here but when compared to other countries in this world there are no poor in this country, our govenment has been willing to pay to make sure of that.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahhh c'mon NW...sing along wif me....
Eh! The tooth I lost was a molar. Still have all my front teeth.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I only buy 4 kinds of socks. White crew socks, black dress socks, warm socks to wear in winter in boots gray with red trim, and over the calf socks to wear with motorcycle boots so the tops of the boots don't chaf his legs.

I don't match his socks and they last much longer. I buy large bunches that all match mostly about 24 pair of white, 18 pair of gray and only a few of the others. So if a white or gray sock has a hole and gets thrown away no problem, when he has less than a week's supply I toss them all and buy new but they last many years and the remaining socks aren't so good.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A long time ago, I filled out a patient info sheet at my Infectious Disease Dr for my emergency contact with my wife's name. Under "Relationship" I wrote "Spousal Unit." Years later I found out that this was perceived as hilarious and I had a great reputation, unknown to me. The staff always talked to me, took care of me, and in general seemed extra nice.

Mike D.
While still two years away from finishing high school, I had to fill in a form to defer my being drafted into the army. Irritated by the box that enquired into my profession, I wrote "trainee astronaut."

Five years later, having finished school and university, and needing another six month deferment to bridge the gap until I intended to leave the country, and appearing in front of a military board led by a very bad-tempered major, I began to wonder if that'd been a good idea...
cjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh! The tooth I lost was a molar. Still have all my front teeth.
Hot dog! I just knew we had some fine, distinguished lookin' fellers around here..........
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hot dog! I just knew we had some fine, distinguished lookin' fellers around here..........
Well, if all you need about a guy's face is that his smile doesn't show gaps, then I meet that modest criteria.

PS. I also still have my head full of hair. So much so that I would be willing to go bald if I could get $1 per strand of hair. I would be rich.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, if all you need about a guy's face is that his smile doesn't show gaps, then I meet that modest criteria.
The main thing for me about a face is that there is a smile. I am a bit picky however as I do like to see all of the front teeth.
Quote:
PS. I also still have my head full of hair. So much so that I would be willing to go bald if I could get $1 per strand of hair. I would be rich.
Hey...you've got a backup feature just in case you lose a tooth....
(fwiw the hair on the head doesn't matter much to me)

....sorry for the hj...back to the poor house...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The main thing for me about a face is that there is a smile. I am a bit picky however as I do like to see all of the front teeth.

Hey...you've got a backup feature just in case you loose a tooth....
(fwiw the hair on the head doesn't matter much to me)

....sorry for the hj...back to the poor house...
I don't always smile.
And if I should lose a front tooth, I can buy one from my dentist. He's got a drawer full of them.
About head hair, I know what you mean. I would shave my head in a second if it makes me look like Yul Brynner. But a guy must learn to be happy with what he's got.
And about this thread, heck it's dead.