Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But having a woman to care for you, keep your socks matched up, and keep your fridge stocked with beer ought to count for something, no?
Who knew? I kept lugging in the beer for my ex, but I never could get his socks matched up. So THAT must have been the reason why he is now my ex! (just kidding)

Now that I live alone, I have had zero problem with lost socks and matching socks, interestingly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have had zero problem with lost socks
I suspect that at least half the world wants to know the make and model of your washing machine.

On second thought, congrats on enough LYBM that you do laundry by hand. Therefore no "eaten" socks.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I suspect that at least half the world wants to know the make and model of your washing machine.

On second thought, congrats on enough LYBM that you do laundry by hand. Therefore no "eaten" socks.
It's not the washing machine or method, it's the socks which are definitely not LBYM.
On a 2006 trip to Springfield, I went to Bass Pro and bought five pairs of Thorlo trekking socks. These are VERY thick wool socks, thicker than their hiking socks, and they have forever solved my persistent problem with cold feet. I even wear them in the summer. They are also very thick so when I wear them, I feel like I am walking on pillows. They are expensive but were a wonderful investment in total bliss and comfort.

Anyway, since they are so thick they are quite bulky and cannot cling to something invisibly.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some of us - gasp, arrgh - do our own laundry, and fetch our own beer...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Hell, not only do I fetch my own beer, I make it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yep - one of my favorites. 16th year of ER - down to one pinstripe suitable for weddings, funerals and whatevers.

My whitesocks got 'off-colour' so I switched to Wal Mart grey tube socks.

heh heh heh - that's the big expense when these 'dressy events' pop up - I can never find find that one pair of dress socks I swear I ratholed away for just such an occasion.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hell, not only do I fetch my own beer, I make it.
but do you grow your own hops!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

My pleasure unclemick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This won't handle the laundry, but it will fetch your beer...

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
i think the USA outlawed being poor in this country decades ago. of course there are people with less wealth/income than others here but when compared to other countries in this world there are no poor in this country, our govenment has been willing to pay to make sure of that.
I disagree. Go to a homeless shelter sometime and see for yourself.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
but do you grow your own hops!

I tried, but the vines did not make it. I plan on giving it another shot this spring.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I disagree. Go to a homeless shelter sometime and see for yourself.
i have and i give to one of them regularly but the people there arent poor when you compare them to the poor of 3rd world countries, they are only considered poor in a country as wealthy as the USA. they are fed, have shelter and have access to welfare here (which they dont even have to work for). and many of them have belongings too, not so in 3rd world countries. the US government has raised the bar as to what people here consider poor soooo, to paraphrase the Bible, "there will always be poor" because as the poor get wealthier the definition of poor will change to someone of higher wealth and that is why there are poor people (we grade on the curve).
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
ithey are fed, have shelter and have access to welfare here
Fed, on occasion. Odds are you will not starve to death though you may be malnourished. You might freeze to death, that does happen. Shelters turn people away all the time. And shelters are only for over night. There is no "welfare" unless you meet the state requirements and in most states you will not meet the requirements if you do not have children, are not elderly, or are not totally disabled as determined by the SSA. Note that the SSA takes about two years to process disability appeals and they deny just about everyone who files due to mental illness. Many never appeal as the mental illness interferes with their ability to move forward with an appeal.

There is no medical assistance or cash assistance or housing for people who don't fit in the right pigeon hole.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #153
Administrator

Quote:
There is no "welfare" unless you meet the state requirements and in most states you will not meet the requirements if you do not have children, are not elderly, or are not totally disabled as determined by the SSA.
I am not sure if it is true or not, but many years ago I heard that in some states you *have* to have a physical address, not just a PO box or general delivery, in order to get into the welfare system. If true, that would cut the homeless out of that system entirely.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #154

Quote:
There is no "welfare" unless you meet the state requirements and in most states you will not meet the requirements if you do not have children, are not elderly, or are not totally disabled as determined by the SSA.
not so for food stamps(SNAP), a nondisabled single person aged between 16 and 60 can be eligable. in fact you can own a house and a car and still be eligable for food stamps. Eligibility
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

We spend more than enough money on welfare and charity so that there should be no extreme hardship in our country. But politics and greed keep those expenditures from reaching some of those who are not capable of "gaming the system" and if they have no able bodied/minded advocate, they become extremely impoverished. My home town, Chicago, and its infamous politics everyone is familar with, is a great example of this. Welfare money and programs available. But if you're disadvantaged in a way that keeps you from fighting for your share, and you have no advocate, you're toast, likely to be found frozen to death on a grate downtown someplace. Meanwhile, the Ward Committeeman's girlfriend lives in subsidized housing, collects welfare, is provided with food stamps and works as a barmaid for cash.

We focus our charitable dollars on organizations which help the disadvantaged get their slice of the existing welfare/charity pie. DW works with families and special needs children to help them get their share of the help that's there but which is made difficult to acquire by the "authorities."
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #156

Quote:
not so for food stamps(SNAP), a nondisabled single person aged between 16 and 60 can be eligable. in fact you can own a house and a car and still be eligable for food stamps. Eligibility
--------------------
What is a Household?

Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household.
----------------------------

What W2R wrote. Is a "household" a bridge overpass?

No, America doesn't have any poor. Ignore the mentally ill guy pan-handling for money on the side of the road or sleeping on the bench. (Yeah, yeah, you only see able-bodied, obviously lazy, people pan-handling. Ahh, to live in Pleasantville.)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
--------------------
What is a Household?

Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household.
----------------------------

What W2R wrote. Is a "household" a bridge overpass?

No, America doesn't have any poor. Ignore the mentally ill guy pan-handling for money on the side of the road or sleeping on the bench. (Yeah, yeah, you only see able-bodied, obviously lazy, people pan-handling. Ahh, to live in Pleasantville.)

a "household" can be a single guy or gal! and to ur "pleasantville",[MODERATOR EDIT], read the requirements
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #158

Quote:
a "household" can be a single guy or gal! and to ur "pleasantville",[MODERATOR EDIT], read the requirements
I read the requirements. They don't send food stamps to "I-40, Exit 256 Overpass."

Bottom line: People go hungry in America. People in America sleep on the ground. That's reality.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #159

Quote:
I read the requirements. They don't send food stamps to "I-40, Exit 256 Overpass."
did you read this?
Quote:
Some States allow homeless households a set amount ($143) for shelter costs;
Quote:
Bottom line: People go hungry in America. People in America sleep on the ground. That's reality.
and i didnt say there werent, in fact if you look at 1 of my previous posts i said
Quote:
i have and i give to one of them regularly
speaking of shelters. what i said was
Quote:
but the people there arent poor when you compare them to the poor of 3rd world countries
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #160

Quote:
did you read this?
Woo! $143 for shelter costs. They can get a 3-bedroom apartment for that subsidy. Problem solved.

Quote:
but the people there arent poor when you compare them to the poor of 3rd world countries
By what measure? Are you talking sheer numbers? Dying from exposure with used Adidas sneakers on your feet doesn't change the fact that you died.