Join Early Retirement Today

Why are people still holding cash?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why are people still holding cash?

Besides having enough cash for 6 months living, are there any other reasons to hold cash? Is it the worry of an imminent bear market? Is it to wait for the opportunity to buy when stocks become cheap? Is it for a major purchase on the horizon?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Why are people still holding cash?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Besides having enough cash for 6 months living, are there any other reasons to hold cash? Is it the worry of an imminent* bear market? Is it to wait for the opportunity to buy when stocks become cheap? Is it for a major purchase on the horizon?
Well, it's quite possible that I don't know what I am doing, but I think we will see a major bear in the next 2 - 5 years. I do have some IRA money in a MM and I am using new money to pay off the mortgage. I have all my 401k in short term securities. I also have some old money in stocks and the Total Stock Market Index fund in a taxable account. A lot of my money is not in the stock market at this point.

I am not sure what I will do with the new money once my mortgage is paid off. I just don't see any good place to park the money right now. It feels like there is too much money chasing too few places to park it.

I think we will see a decrease in consumer spending when people stop pulling money out of the equity in their homes. I think that will happen when the mortgage rates go up.

The worse case for me is that I miss some percentage gains in the market if I'm wrong. I can afford to do that. Time will tell I guess.

-helen

Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having made enough to retire prior to the last bear market, and keeping it through the last bear market (if it is over) makes me cautious enough to not to risk it right now.* *The upside risk is missed opportunity, the downside risk is being forced out of retirement.* *You can guess which way the scale tips for me.* I'm hoping that I can recognize a better opportunity, when it presents itself, than the current environment.* Maybe I'm too cautious, but the majority of my cow-orkers weren't and they now have 201K's.* They may end up catching up, (and they deserve to . . . after all they still are punching the timeclock),* but so far most of their catching up has been through contributions and lots of them even fail to recognize that.* *

Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same reason why warren buffett is holding a lot of cash.

Cant find anything I want to buy thats a reasonable price. That leaves you either paying an unreasonable price for an asset or keepting the cash until you see something reasonable to buy. Warren does the latter. So do I.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Besides having enough cash for 6 months living, are there any other reasons to hold cash? Is it the worry of an imminent* bear market? Is it to wait for the opportunity to buy when stocks become cheap? Is it for a major purchase on the horizon?
Holding cash can be pretty painful if you are hoarding it in a 2-3% savings account or similar.* Remember the other "sort of cash" vehicles you can use.* Short term bond fund, a conservative high yield fund (like Vanguards) or something a bit more exciting like Fidelity capital and income.* For ultra safe a nice pile of I savings bonds are decent as well.

As far as why hold cash,,,you mentioned some pretty good ones in your post, except, I see no signs of a major bear market any time soon.* A good size dip may be on the way soon, but it is not the start of anything serious on the downside.* Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #6

FWIW, I have extraordinarily little cash. My paycheck contributions are going mostly into various equity funds with a small portion into bond funds. I struggle between set-it-and-forget-it and listening to some of the people around here. So far passive ignorant investing is winning.

However I don't have any cash cushion at all at the moment and I'm hoping to move out of state soon, so I cut back my 401(k) contributions and may put $5k -$10k from my IRA in a MM fund in case I have to tap it if I start the move and something happens with the new job. I have under $100k in my accounts so this is not a trivial amount for me.

Then again I don't expect to retire for 20 years unless I'm lucky so I can ride a bear for quite a long time and keep feeding it a portion of my income. At this point I'd rather do that than to forecast the future even if everything is overvalued by most measures.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #7

riskaverse,
your typo (cow-orkers) caused me to laugh so hard I blew milk out my nose and I wasn't even drinking milk at the time. Thanks for that!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Freudian slip brought on by recent topic?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

It wasn't a typo -- I wish I could say it was original though. I used to read a system programmer's usenet group where it was the standard reference to our fellow employees. I still get a chuckle reading the word coworker in anybody's post, but I do put the hyphen in to help spread my amusement.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #10

Risk,
thanks. I just couldn't get a mental image of "orking" a cow! Still makes me chuckle.

I just retired and although I had one of the 6 offices, I could see hundreds of workers sitting in cubicles. So happy to be free.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #11

Risk,
thanks. I just couldn't get a mental image of "orking" a cow!

Could that be how we get our fat-free milk?
Any dairy farmers on the net?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses. It appears that the main motivation of holding cash is there is nothing cheap to buy.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. It appears that the main motivation of holding cash is there is nothing cheap to buy.
To paraphrase from 'The Graduate', one word......."Realestate"

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I thought it was, "plastics!".
Old 06-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I thought it was, "plastics!".
Yep, well I changed it. Poetic license

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
riskaverse,
your typo (cow-orkers) caused me to laugh so hard I blew milk out my nose and I wasn't even drinking milk at the time. Thanks for that!
Theres that spontaneous milk out the nose thing again...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Theres that spontaneous milk out the nose thing again...
God, I really hope it was milk.* All that talk of cows reminds me of the bull semen thread and is making me think really sick thoughts.* Can we talk about SWR again?* Nah, got the same pukey feeling.* How about baseball, ya baseball!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Aw jeez, I feel sick now, what a visual! :P
Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #19

The common wisdom that one needs to hold 6 months of living expenses in cash does not make sense for some people. We paid cash for our present home (let's not reopen that discussion) so we have a whole lot of equity there. Rather than tie up 6 months worth of cash in a low paying savings account or MM fund, I set up a no-cost home equity line of credit (HELOC). It's there to be drawn down if the stock market takes a plunge and I don't want to sell shares at reduced prices to fund living expenses. The only cash I hold is what would be needed to make the payments on the HELOC draw necessary to cover 6 months of living expenses. This lets me invest a larger amount for growth. Opinions?

Grumpy
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

As with any rule of thumb, the six month rule is a good starting point. But as you get more sophisticated, options open up. You have a pile of money in the house, that's your six months savings. Obviously there is a small increase in risk with your scenario, but you are sophisticated enough to comprehend and adjust for it. Seems like a no brainer to me. I have one set up, too.