Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
Do peoples dreams get in the way of good decision? About 6 months ago a store opened in the local mall that I knew was doomed to failure. It is a store you go to to paint ceramic doodads like plates and tacky looking clowns. I walk that mall several times a week and I have never once seen a single person in there except the owner. It's a large, attractive store and the rent must be sky high. How can a person think they would have enough customers who want to make ashtrays to make a living?
One of those places existed for about a year on University Ave in downtown Palo Alto, right before the dotcom collapse IIRC. I remember reading back then that that neighborhood was the most expensive business real estate in the country. Good times.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Ahh, "momentum investing". Have you actually tallied up both the gains and losses from these activities? I used to momentum invest in all sorts of markets. When we were in an overall bull, I was a genius. During a bear, I forgot. In the middling markets I remember my successes but some other bastard was the cause of my failures...
Yeah, I've kept track. I actually am quite a bit ahead on retail, but mostly because I get out fast when I think things are going south. I've actually done pretty well in my individual stocks, but enough has been due to luck and failure to sell that I would never try to support myself on it. I've had my great buys (Cisco at 7, AAPL at 9, etc). However, I've also had enough Enron's, Worldcom's, and Primus Telecoms to know I'm gambling whe I pick stocks. I actually haven't bought any in a few years. I did sell most of my AAPL at 175.

I'm thinking it's about time to buy a few more companies I've been watching for a few years with my AAPL cash. GE, BRK.B, maybe Pfizer, J&J, good stuff like that. That J&J never goes down much, though.