Why do you LBYM?

[

I still fight with things like this. I want grapes, but I see $2.99/lb and
automatically think "too much, I'll wait until they are on sale". I recently
lost my USB memory stick, and felt stupid that I had to pay $20 for a
new one.

I think I'm this way because I've been so lucky in my life and I have always expected that luck to run out someday. I want to be prepared if that day comes.

Sometimes I made good choices, sometimes I worked hard, but I have also been very blessed, and very lucky.

If my good luck continues, in 93 business days (at age 55) I can reap the benefits by retiring and having the means to do what I want. I hope it's worth it.

B. Been poor and remember it.

Also, I have my independence rule. I like being financially independent. I could live much higher on the hog, but B lurks over my shoulder reminding me of bad times.

Eagle43 said:
B. Been poor and remember it.

Also, I have my independence rule. I like being financially independent. I could live much higher on the hog, but B lurks over my shoulder reminding me of bad times.

Back at ya. We were dirt poor, but myself and my 7 brothers and sisters didn't realize it. (We weren't very smart) ;)

But I'm getting smarter. Sun's out, golf clubs in trunk of car, see you later. ;)

G) Learned it from my parents?

I grew up very middle class, and my parents LBTM. Mom was a SAHM and raised 2 kids, we didn't have designer clothes or the latest video games or fancy cars, but had a nice house (to which they added a pool when I was 10), and never felt deprived. And they put my sister and I through college (thanks!).

They retired at the age of 57 (12 years ago), and are having a blast and are not concerned about running out of money.

I want to be just like them!

Karen

B) You either grew up poor, and you know the meaning of a dollar, or, you did not grow up poor, but your parents lived below their means.

Parents were Depression Era survivors. They did not trust banks or the stock market. Paid cash or did not buy (expect for the house).

D) At some point during your adult life (usually middle age) you realized that if you kept spending every dollar that you made, you would not get ahead and you would never be able to retire comfortably, so you got religion and started LBYM.

First wife could not spend it fast enough so she got (and hid) 10 credit cards. We never had anything in savings; no investments, no stocks, no bonds...nothing but bills and had to juggle which ones did not get paid each month. The divorce fixed that problem. Took me 3 years to climb out of a huge debt pit and into the light. Made my first stock trades then and have continued to this day.

Having a spouse or SO that shares your financial plans is priceless.

E) You were born frugal, and it's just the way you are.

I was always the one other family members came to for $$ from my little savings bank. My brother was a spender...I was a saver. I think having the savings gene helps LBYM.

B,C,and E for me. I can remember being taunted by my older brothers when I was only four or five because I saved all the coins given to me by uncles and aunts. They would give us kids a quarter or so on each visit. My brothers could not wait to get to the corner store for candy, and I couldn't wait to get to the shoe box under my bed that held my savings account. My brothers never changed and neither one is very responsible with money. I knew that the money was more valuable to me than the candy even back then!

My parents were products of the depression and never had debt of any kind.

I went thru a divorce at the age of 28 that left me emotionally scared and financially destroyed.... I wound up with a six year old son to raise and debts that were greater than my income. It was a tough time. I never wanted to worry about being able to by food or pay the light bill again.

The second time around I married a man that had been married and divorced from a woman who sounds a lot like SteveR's ex-wife. He had had it with debts and longed to have financial security. We were perfect for each other.

At Christas I found myself explaining to my granddaughter (13) why in my retirement I drive a shiny new Toyota Yaris instead of a "cool" and expensive car. I said I can afford any car out there and that's the beauty of it! I don't feel the need to impress anyone with my wealth. I am secure in the fact that I could have the best, but feel better with the money under the bed (or in the market....).

Lakerat Nomore said:
At Christas I found myself explaining to my granddaughter (13) why in my retirement I drive a shiny new Toyota Yaris instead of a "cool" and expensive car. I said I can afford any car out there and that's the beauty of it! I don't feel the need to impress anyone with my wealth. I am secure in the fact that I could have the best, but feel better with the money under the bed (or in the market....).

AMEN!!! Last fall I bought a "pre-driven" 2006 Chevy HHR. Got it for 2/3 of "new" cost. Many of my friends asked why I would ever buy a "used" car, I told them I could drive ANY car I wanted to but chose this one and kept ALOT of money 'under the bed'! :D

Back
Top Bottom