Join Early Retirement Today

Re: why do you want to be rich???
Old 03-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
JG, is that you?
Only if I'm channeling while my window washers are slapping time. Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

setab

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Rustic23

rich is NOT a number. it's a freedom and like some of you said. it's in the eye of the beholder.

also, do NOT be fool by the census. the number that you quoted is far far far away from the truth. national average on income per family/household is based on anyone is 18 years of age and above. *this includes welfare recipients, millions of retiree (who are rich but got no earning income), ~17-20million college students (guessing from the census), disability and handicaps, investors who are "rich" but shelter their income in their company legally or tax defer program and many more that i can' t think of .... these people bring the average income way down.

if your family gross income is around $50k/year. *you are just SURVIVING and in some cases, pay check to pay check people. *trust me, i am a living example.

enuff

Old 03-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

So I can buy stuff.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Boont said: "Don't like the question. Seems immature."

What, us immature?? I would ask, is a naked maid really practical?

I don't want to be rich. My hub and I could both work to 65 and increase our pensions to fabulous sums, plus double or triple our investments and retire on a couple hundred thousand per year or more. But we've decided that what we want is our present income (about 55,000), adjusted for inflation and medical insurance which must be paid out of pocket. We figure we will reach that goal in about 4.6 years.

My kids ask if we're rich and I tell them we are well-to-do. We fit in with our largely middle-class neighbors. They are teachers, firefighters, paramedics, small business owners, mid-level management types. Although we all have nice houses, none are McMansions and nobody is really ostentatious. Many have already retired in their 50's. You see some driftboats, SUV's and a motor home or two, but mostly people are living a successful middle-class existance. That's good enough for me.

I'm modifying this to add that at our income, we are not living paycheck to paycheck. Salaries are relative to where you live and how frugal you are. We can maintain our lifestyle plus save money on that income. We don't have a mortgage or debt, however.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I, like some others have said, want to be FI, not rich.

When I don't have to work anymore, that's when I'm going to quit. I have lots of hobbies and interests that I'd like to pursue and just don't have the time...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enuff,
The ‘family income’ structure, if graphed would look somewhat like a pyramid or a pear. There are a lot more folks at the bottom than at the top. There is only one Bill Gates, and from there it spreads. At the bottom there are lots of people living under bridges. More than we want to admit. If you sliced this pear in the middle, where would the income line be? My guess is about $50,000. Just because that may be the average income, does not mean folks are living it up, in fact my guess would be like you said, pay check to pay check.

Your point is well takes as to what makes up this figure. Those that have seen my earlier post know I don’t trust many of the statistics quoted. (Except Marshac’s I now know where he gets his from)

We currently live on about $60,000 and have managed to save enough to retire. Our living expanses will be less than $50,000 upon retirement. Major difference is, none of our income will not be subject to SS tax, with hard monthly expenses of less than $3,000. On the other hand I figure my daughter and son-in-law’s income somewhere around $150,000 a year, and they live pay check to pay check.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So I can have...one...millllion...dollars!

Then I'm going to buy some sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
For me and Bobby Mcgee, Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose. The notion that you have to be rich, as in have a lot of money, to be free is misguided, to say the least. If you are defining freedom as the ability to buy that Porsche or not, etc. you are only talking about the freedom to consume. My definition of monetary freedom would come closer to having the bills paid and lunch money in my pocket. But even that definition is falls short. Freedom is more tied to truth, inner peace and contentment than it is to money. The rich can be shackled while the poor can be free. Get rich if you want to. I have no problem with that if that's what you want to do, but don't expect it to automatically make you free, happy or any of the other things that are truly important in the long run.

setab
Just because you have freedom doesn't mean you'll be happy. Freedom is about not having restrictions, not happiness.

"Freedom is more tied to truth, inner peace and contentment than it is to money" Apply your theory to any people or group of people who have been enslaved. I'm sure they would have liked their freedom over any inner peace or contentment they had. Frederick Douglass actually literally acquired enough freedom/money from the sale of his book, "Narratives of a life" to have freedom and no longer be a slave. The best of both worlds is to have inner peace & be free, yet again, any inner peace that results from the refusal to acquire more freedom/money is due to the structure of society.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
oh one more thing. naked maid would be nice too.
Funny you should mention that...

This service is available in Edmonton, Alberta. (Do not underrate the ingenuity of Canadians! I am constantly being amazed. When the rules are different, the game is different!)

Ed The Gypsy,
Stranger in a Strange Land
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #30

I don't think that naked maids are very expensive.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich=happiness.

Happiness=giving money away

I want to be rich in order to give money away. It runs in my family.
And it's not b.s. to us.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

kz

i don't mean to give back is b.s. literally. it's just a "political" cool and right things to say and people tends to say that so often withOUT a deep honesty.

rustic23

i agree with you 100%. higher incomer is taxed to death and sometime "think" that they make big bucks and therefore living a pretty high live style and live "paycheck to paycheck".

enuff

Old 03-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
* * * * * * * * * * * * -- Bob Dylan

That's rich enough for me. *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I'm not so sure about that. *My extensive "naked maid" research on Google indicates that totally naked maids are apparently in short supply-- the rest all seemed to be wearing something.

Although many of the websites appeared eager to exchange offers with me...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Send a message via AIM to Bruce

Independence! 8)
Old 03-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
The notion that you have to be rich, as in have a lot of money, to be free is misguided, to say the least. If you are defining freedom as the ability to buy that Porsche or not, etc. you are only talking about the freedom to consume. My definition of monetary freedom would come closer to having the bills paid and lunch money in my pocket. But even that definition is falls short. Freedom is more tied to truth, inner peace and contentment than it is to money. The rich can be shackled while the poor can be free. Get rich if you want to. I have no problem with that if that's what you want to do, but don't expect it to automatically make you free, happy or any of the other things that are truly important in the long run.
This is one of the most intelligent paragraphs I've read. Kudos setab.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

If I wanted to be "rich" I'd never stop working.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Compared to several of my family, I am rich. Why do I want to be? Independence. I just love being independent. And money grants that. Well, money and health. Got both, for the moment.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
If I wanted to be "rich" I'd never stop working.
Bingo!

Audrey
Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Compared to several of my family, I am rich. Why do I want to be? Independence. I just love being independent. And money grants that. Well, money and health. Got both, for the moment.
Excellent point about health. I was always told that the first true digit of your net worth is best represented by your health; you can accumulate and attach as many financial zeros as you desire to that first digit, but without it, you're still left with 0. Without your health, being rich doesn't mean much.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
As it turns out AND BEFORE I MET MY WIFE it happened every now and then at no additional charge.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote