Join Early Retirement Today

why do you want to be rich???
Old 03-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

why do you want to be rich???

stole someone else question.

why do you want to be rich? NO NO NO we don't to hear FEED THE HUNGRY, SAVE THE WORLD, BS..

really, why??

For me, Freedom and Time. oh one more thing. naked maid would be nice too.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: why do you want to be rich???
Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't like the question. Seems immature.

I will say that I once heard a lotto winner answer when asked what he was gonna do...

"I'm going to buy my life back."

That about says it. That's what we have done here. We who have retired early.

imho

boont

boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:29 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Money is nothing other than freedom.

The freedom to do what you want and when you want. You work to not gain money, you work to gain more freedoms either for yourself or the ones you love. You might even work to give freedom to strangers(donations).

To be rich is to want freedom. Anyone who doesn't desire to be rich has either given up or has been brain washed by society into thinking your freedom is not important in the world and you should conform to the options presented to you at your income class and not desire other alternatives.

Why do I want to be rich?? To be free. I can buy the Porsche or not. At least I have a choice.

-E
ebisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Freedom.

And yes, to help people who need help, which is not BS. :P
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Between commute and work, I am putting in 14 hours a day. I'd much rather spend that time sleeping, exercising, relaxing, travelling and (most importantly) with my wife and kids.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

... it's less about have $$ and more about having time (to do what you want).
Old 03-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Rich is a mental thing - when I was layed off in 1993 - I was poor and unemployed - until I discovered I didn't have to work. Then I was free and 'rich.' After ten years, I discovered this forum - Now I are a 'high class ER'

Right

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

P.S. - time passes, things change - after 12 yrs, now early SS - a semi old phart headed for curmudgeonland.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #8

why? to be able to buy and sell my enemies.....but I would be happy with having independence.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely freedom. *The more $ I have, the more options I have. *I am saving to obtain financial independence. *Independence is the key word there. *In fact, I should just say I am striving for independence. *When you live paycheck to paycheck, you have few options. *

Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny thing is that I don't consider myself rich although I have an average high net worth compared to others on this forum. My yearly income probably compares to what a store manager would earn. So I don't spend like I'm rich nor think like I can spend that way.

That being said, I really appreciate the freedom to wake up in the morning with "my day" ahead of me. I also appreciate making this house run and doing nice things for my family. It's a lifestyle I've slipped into quite comfortably.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #11

I want to be RICH!!! if that's what it takes to have the freedom to come and go as I please and enjoy MY life.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #12

Being financially rich just means you have accumulated a large amount of money in one form or another.

I have accumulated money.*

I have also accumulated hammers, saws, chisels, rasps, and routers.

I plan on using the money to support myself and my family by having it generate enough investment income to buy food, clothes, and other necessities and some modest niceties.

I plan on using the hammers, saws, chisels, rasps, and routers to support my woodworking hobby.

All of the above, including money, are tools that one uses as a means to an end.* They are otherwise worthless.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #13

An interesting question in that there is really one answer for most of us… YES. However, what is rich? Loto winner? Billionaire? Millionaire? Top 10% of wage earners? Top 25%? Isn’t rich in the eyes of the beholder. Based on the information here: http://www.censusscope.org/us/chart_income.html about 22% of the households have more than $75,000 income, and about 41% above $50,000. So, what is rich. To the 41% of the population that have less than $35,000 I would say that most of the folks on this board look rich! By the way to your friendly tax man, you look rich also.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #14

My answer is basically the same as many others here. I want to be rich (or at least "comfortable"), so that I have the freedom to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, and not have to answer to anybody. I kinda just want an eternal summer vacation, where I can wake up and not even know, or care, what day it is!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:09 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

So.. what is the definition of rich?

Compared to my kids I am rich.

Compared to my family I am rich.

Compared to my friends I am above average.

Compared to my neighbors...I am poor white trash.

I don't see myself as rich.....moderately frugal, financially organized, dedicated to saving and spending wisely etc. But I don't see me as rich...at least not my definiton of rich. My wife sees it differently but she comes from a different world where one works until age 65 and then tries to survive on SS and a small pension. She is seeing things in a different light now and understands where it all came from.

I prefer to say I am FI and not rich. FI means I can continue to support my currentl life style on what I have saved and invested without having to work for wages. Rich to mean means having enough money to do "anything" you want, not merely maintain a current lifestyle. Rich = yahts and airplanes...houses all over the world.. more money that I could spend in a lifetime. Bill Gates is rich. I am FI.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I kinda just want an eternal summer vacation, where I can wake up and not even know, or care, what day it is!
ditto
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #17

Honestly, I don't care if I ever get "rich", because, well let's face it, that is an elusive term and does mean different things to different people. I just want to be to the point that I'm FI, and don't need no steenking job!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

For me and Bobby Mcgee, Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose. *The notion that you have to be rich, as in have a lot of money, to be free is misguided, to say the least. *If you are defining freedom as the ability to buy that Porsche or not, etc. you are only talking about the freedom to consume. *My definition of monetary freedom would come closer to having the bills paid and lunch money in my pocket. *But even that definition is falls short. *Freedom is more tied to truth, inner peace and contentment than it is to money. *The rich can be shackled while the poor can be free. *Get rich if you want to. *I have no problem with that if that's what you want to do, but don't expect it to automatically make you free, happy or any of the other things that are truly important in the long run.

setab
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #19

"Other People" are rich. *"We" are comfortable, or well off, but never rich.

In my mind, the word rich brings up connotations of ostentatiousness or extravagance. *I could have a 34 ft power boat but a rich person has a 80 ft yacht. * *Buying designer clothes at outrageous prices, having more bathrooms in your house than people to use them, etc.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
For me and Bobby Mcgee, Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose. *The notion that you have to be rich, as in have a lot of money, to be free is misguided, to say the least. *
setab
JG, is that you?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote