Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why Does this Forum Distrust Financial Planners?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a financial planner. He was a friend and former manager of a major brokerage firm. He sold me some very poor performing load funds and a terrible variable life insurance policy. The insurance company on the variable life went out of business. He wanted to get me into Limited Partnerships and that is when I fired him. I found John Bogle's books and others and have handled my own investments since then with much better results. I am sure there are some good planners out there but you can do it on your own.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Don't underestimate vanity for it's part in this. Would Mr. UpandComing Jr. executive buy a beemer, join the Country Club, yet not have a Financial Planner to call/have him call him while on the golf course? Better yet, the same financial planner as Mr. Sr. Executive he's sucking up to? Status. :P

Old 11-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Because my brother is one.

--Greg
Old 11-22-2005, 12:40 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

He,he - had me laughing Dave!

Never had a financial planner (learned it the hard way myself) and would NEVER use one (unless they gave me a calculated advantage - such as access to product/fund I can otherwise not get to) but there are many people out there that I rather would see in the hands of a decent FP rather than doing it themselves - just too many ways to TRUELY mess up if no knowledge or interest at all, be it direct scams or dumping all in one hot/IPO stock.

Cheers!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atla
I had a financial planner. He was a friend and former manager of a major brokerage firm. He sold me some very poor performing load funds and a terrible variable life insurance policy. The insurance company on the variable life went out of business. He wanted to get me into Limited Partnerships and that is when I fired him. I found John Bogle's books and others and have handled my own investments since then with much better results. I am sure there are some good planners out there but you can do it on your own.

I'm just curious: which life insurance company was the policy with? What happened after it blew up?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #26

For some folks using a FP may not be a bad solution. I do my own financial planning because I have the time, the knowledge and the ability to do it as well as a professional. On the other hand, I lack the mechanical ability, the knowledge or the desire to do electrical work at the house. I hire a professional to do that work. Does he charge me alot? Yes. Do I know how to select an electrician that is both competent and honest? Probably not. But the risks of doing the work myself are just too great (fire, electrocution, etc.) so what other choice do I have? For a person without financial knowledge or interest the choice is similar.

Grumpy
Old 11-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ah, but electricians and plumbers must pass a professional exam and their work is inspected by independent third parties! I have known honest and compentent plumbers and electricians. I even know an honest and compentent mechanic.

Interesting that FPs are compared to crafts workers.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Brat;when it comes down to basics; diversify and adjust for risk tolerance it is actually pretty simple isn't it? Cheers!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Has anyone used the Motley Fool advisory service for financial planning.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I am not sold on FPs for investment advise. Once in a while one can find a FP who is knowledgable on personal financial management. I want an FP to have only my interest in play, no side deals. "Free" advise is never free.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer
The insurance company were taken over by a receiver on behalf of the state. I was able to eventually complete a tax free exchange to a Vanguard Annuity. It had me worried the whole time and I do not want to go through it again.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The insurance company were taken over by a receiver on behalf of the state.
If you tell Brewer the name of the insurance company, then he'll be able to use his analysts's superpowers to learn all the company's bankruptcy info that never made it to the public press. Then he can share the juicy details and the lessons learned with us.

Send him a PM if you don't want to name company names on the board!

We'll be waiting with our ears perked up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:26 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

We actually did OK with a full service broker before discovering this site. No churning or hot tip chasing. Names like XOM and MO in the account for ages (and some AT&T on the flip side). I suppose dart throwing would have produced the same results since 1980 without the fees. Starting to switch away now.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brewer
The insurance company were taken over by a receiver on behalf of the state. I was able to eventually complete a tax free exchange to a Vanguard Annuity. It had me worried the whole time and I do not want to go through it again.
Interesting to hear. Life insurer failures are pretty rare and when they do happen policyholders usually get 100 cents on the dollar plus accrued interest. Your funds are generally backed up by the insurer's capital, the inherent conservatism of insurance regulation/accounting, and state insurance guaranty funds (no as good as FDIC). But it still is no fun to go through the process.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #35

Count on a financial advisor to get you into the one-in-a-thousand insurance company that is on the brink of receivership. :P
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Count on a financial advisor to get you into the one-in-a-thousand insurance company that is on the brink of receivership.* :P
Hey, they pay the highest commissions, they must be good! :

- Will Rogers
Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't go to a financial planner but, I needed some professional advice and thought some type of professional person would be able to help me out. So, I went to a CPA. A really nice guy!

I took him all the history of my financial assets and breakdowns of what was what and where it was. I asked him to advise me, as to how I could do a better job with my investments,; how I could perhaps save on taxes,--- etc.

Just being curious, after I thought we were on the same page, I asked, How Much will you be charging for your services? He said, Aawww, we'll work something out!

About two weeks later, I called his ofice, to see if he had come up with a foolproof plan, to guarantee me everlasting financial security. Yeah, he said, come by and pick it up!

So, quicker than a gar can skin a minnow, I was in his office.-------- To get a copy of the information, I had given him already, printed on the back of a pre used copy of another document. His professional analysis: " Looks fine to me!"
$90.00 bucks please!!

A financial planner would have probably charged $200.00, for the same fine service. Unless I wanted them to handle my entire my entire financial portfolio, which they would gladly do, for 1.5% per year.

I walked out, marveled at their nice offices and the Hotties serving cofee to us Redneck illiterates and said "See Ya'll, Have a nice day."

I'll keep it in a sock,---before I discuss my assets with a financial planner!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #38

My gar can skin faster than your gar*
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

12 years ago I went to see my first financial adviser with Citibank HK. Since then I have had many encounters with financial advisers(different banks in different countries) , I can tell you I do not just dislike them- I hate them.

I saw an ad. of the LM mortgage fund in the Age which said there is no entry and exist fee. I called their office somewhere in Australia and told them I am an overseas resident currently residing in Melbourne. They then somehow asked their rep. in HK to call me back and this Aussie in HK told me I have to go through an advisor. I then asked this lady on the phone why will I need an advisor, is it that they do not think I am capable to fill out the application form on the internet............................

Crazy people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another time I met an investment manager in HSBC who do not even know what company is CITIC. She was rather young and nice looking, so I forgive her.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
I didn't go to a financial planner but, I needed some professional advice and thought some type of professional person would be able to help me out. So, I went to a CPA. A really nice guy!

His professional analysis: " Looks fine to me!"
$90.00 bucks please!!

A financial planner would have probably charged $200.00, for the same fine service. Unless I wanted them to handle my entire my entire financial portfolio, which they would gladly do, for 1.5% per year.

I know a CPA in my town that does the same thing, but he charges $1500 and gives you a pretty printout of what you have. And he says up front, he is not an investment advisor and can't help you pick investments. I am not clear what he does.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote