Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No more contest entries, please. We already have a winner:
Though I've traveled the world far and nigh, ne'er encountered such a compelling sight as the free culture and entertainment available in my own back yard

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
The USA is the best country in the world, bar none.
Many citizens of other countries feel that way about their homelands too. And you and they are both correct, because their homelands are the best countries, bar none, for them.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
Wingfooted - after 28 years living overseas, I hope you can find people who talk like you and think like you.

Talking about your expatriate adventures to folks that may not even have a passport - quickly turns off or bores your audience. No sense going there at all. You do run into folks occasionally that have traveled widely.

The ah yes moment in being a long term expatriate is that you come to understand that you really have no clue at all how some cultures think or come to a decision point. Originally, you may have thought you had some good idea based on the first few years, that you had successfully and fully integrated - how wrong that impression was.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Ah Senator - its great to see you have such a strong faith in the USA and sense of patriotism.

This thread is about becoming or staying an expatriate.

My suggestion to you Senator is to take a 2 year break and travel the world - spend some time and see what it is really like. When you return to the USA you will be gald to be home but your mind will have been opened.

BTW - They still speak German in Germany.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Isn't that the way communist countries work?

A previous poster indicated we incarcerate too many people here, yet they complained about high crime. By definition, that indicates we do not incarcerate enough.

With freedom, comes responsibility. Some people cannot handle freedom, and are best left to rot in prison. I recent met a person that killed one person with a knife, and was convicted of attempted second degree murder on a second. 20 years of probation was received. The only jail time was while he was waiting on his Court date.

One way to reduce crime is to do away with the 4th amendment to the constitution. Get rid of any search warrant requirements, and if you are caught with evidence that links you to a crime, let the Jury see it. If you say something before your lawyer is present, it doesn’t change the fact you committed the crime.

There is a lot of income inequality in other countries too, but the wealth is held by people or families in power. Most people can never get to that point in other countries, but here in the USA anyone can be a millionaire.
Gun deaths is not the same thing as crime. The U.S. has the most people in prison because of the "war" on drugs, harsher sentencing and mandatory minimum sentences.

From the New Yorker -

The Caging of America

"More than half of all black men without a high-school diploma go to prison at some time in their lives. Mass incarceration on a scale almost unexampled in human history is a fundamental fact of our country today—perhaps the fundamental fact, as slavery was the fundamental fact of 1850. In truth, there are more black men in the grip of the criminal-justice system—in prison, on probation, or on parole—than were in slavery then. "

Mass Incarceration and Criminal Justice in America : The New Yorker

From The Economist -

Never in the civilised world have so many been locked up for so little

Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
That's all folks!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #46
That's all folks!

Closed Thread