Join Early Retirement Today

Why is Expiration Date Part of CC Verification?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why is Expiration Date Part of CC Verification?

Hear this in your head with Andy Rooney's voice:

Ever notice how the verification process for credit cards includes the expiration date? Is there any reason for that? Why not just use the credit card number, and if it has expired, decline the payment?

Because of this system, I must periodically redo the automatic payments for telephone, cable, etc.

Worse, ShopSafe will only create a virtual card number for a year or less. Plus, you can't change the expiration date in the month that it expires. So, every year, the cable company calls and says the autopay won't go through. I can't just change the expiration date, I have to generate a new ShopSafe number. Also, the autopay is canceled, so I have to set that up again, and then I also have to make a one-time payment for the month for which the payment failed.

BofA has made it impossible for me to copy and paste the ShopSafe number, so I have to enter it by hand. Also, when I enter the new credit card number the way it appears, the web site tells me that I must not include the spaces. Don't they realize that it is easy for a computer program to strip out the spaces?

Consider how it could be: I'd set up a shopsafe number that won't expire for years, and I can extend the expiration without having to go through anything with the cable company (for example).

Wake up credit card companies.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here this in your head with Andy Rooney's voice:

Ever notice how the verification process for credit cards includes the expiration date? Is there any reason for that? Why not just use the credit card number, and if it has expired, decline the payment?

Because of this system, I must periodically redo the automatic payments for telephone, cable, etc.

Worse, ShopSafe will only create a virtual card number for a year or less. Plus, you can't change the expiration date in the month that it expires. So, every year, the cable company calls and says the autopay won't go through. I can't just change the expiration date, I have to generate a new ShopSafe number. Also, the autopay is canceled, so I have to set that up again, and then I also have to make a one-time payment for the month for which the payment failed.

BofA has made it impossible for me to copy and paste the ShopSafe number, so I have to enter it by hand. Also, when I enter the new credit card number the way it appears, the web site tells me that I must not include the spaces. Don't they realize that it is easy for a computer program to strip out the spaces?

Consider how it could be: I'd set up a shopsafe number that won't expire for years, and I can extend the expiration without having to go through anything with the cable company (for example).

Wake up credit card companies.
This is one more reason why I have never listened to Andy Rooney. Who cares

Why doesn't he just take a walk, or go our on a date?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is one more reason why I have never listened to Andy Rooney.

Why doesn't he just take a walk, or go our on a date?
Maybe because he's dead?

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe because he's dead?
I figured he might have still been among the living when this video was made, but perhaps not. His eyebrows are awfully long, and I hear they continue to grow after death.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every 3 years, and recently more often as my card was passed to a different bank, I have to update my credit card info at about 20 different places for automatic monthly or yearly charges. PITA.

I try to do auto-debit from checking where possible, including e-bills through billpay, since I'm not as paranoid as I should be. Can't wait until I have to change all of those for some reason.

But it's better than the old alternative...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Every 3 years, and recently more often as my card was passed to a different bank, I have to update my credit card info at about 20 different places for automatic monthly or yearly charges. PITA.

I try to do auto-debit from checking where possible, including e-bills through billpay, since I'm not as paranoid as I should be.

But it's better than the old alternative...
Auto debit would have me lose the points from using a credit card, also protections a credit card offers.

Agree, its better than mailing a check every time I want to make a payment.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I try to do auto-debit from checking where possible, including e-bills through billpay, since I'm not as paranoid as I should be. Can't wait until I have to change all of those for some reason. ...
Did this twice in the last year. Once because the CU decided it wasn't cool to use SSN as account number any more, and again when we merged individual checking into a joint account.

Keeping a list of places that have your checking and CC account numbers takes a lot of the stress out of switching. I have a list. . . now I do.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

I worked in a business with mostly international customers. We did 100% of our business with CC. Many times I would have an expired card, so I would just bump it to the next month out, and the purchase would be authorized. So I really don't know how important the expiration date is.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

Very funny Al. I could easily imagine Andy Rooney saying it.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
His eyebrows are awfully long, and I hear they continue to grow after death.
Did you ever wonder why he never got those things trimmed?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it's because in the US so many numbers are dual purpose and used for both identification and verification/password.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey--I have Andy Rooney eyebrows too. I keep them trimmed cause I'm ugly enough as it is, but when they're trimmed and I'm out working in the yard, etc., sweat gets in my eyes. When I don't trim them, sweat rolls around off my eyebrows and doesn't get in my eyes. So that's why I figure a lot of guys never trim them--they're there for a purpose. Also, never hear anybody picking on Bob Knight because he doesn't trim his!