Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why is the US Dollar Being Destroyed??
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why is the US Dollar Being Destroyed??

WOW!

Just a Simple observation here, from 2002 to now. (Coinsiding very well with our current spendthrift President's tenure) The US Dollar has dropped against the Candian Dollar from $1.60 CAN to $1 US to $1.15 to $1 US. I notice this because I spend Summers in Canada and Winters in the US and our funds are in US Dollars.

On $1m US that is $450,000 Canadian which in my books is a nice House.

Comments?

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Why is the US Dollar Being Destroyed??
Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, the USD in the early 2000s was very high vs other currencies (I think the Economist's "Big Mac" index shows this), so part of the fall is likely just a correction. I have to believe that a rising trade gap and lots of gummint and private borrowing have also helped engender the slide.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #3

Ahh now we are in my area.

USD got very strong during the Asian Crisis, i.e. we imported their currency appreciate. *Now USD currency appreciate is being exported as well as our manufactoring base.

CAD is raising due to oil sands and the level of PMs they have.

If you even want to see a better currency check out MXN. *Our neighbors to the south.

Another intesting factoid. *This current President has spent more then the other Presidents combined. *We now are in debt to the tone of close to 100T if you add up; *trade balance, current account and unfunded libabilities.

That new medicare thing is probably going to bring the death nile to the USD being the reserve world currency. *

JMHO. *
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

As an aside, it shouldn't surprise us that the USD will have to share the spotlight as a reserve currency. After all, other economies are becoming larger and stronger faster than the US, so you don't have to extrapolate too far to get there. And if Japan ever succeeds in righting itself, the JPY will come back as a strong contender.

- George Orwell

Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
As an aside, it shouldn't surprise us that the USD will have to share the spotlight as a reserve currency.* After all, other economies are becoming larger and stronger faster than the US, so you don't have to extrapolate too far to get there.* And if Japan ever succeeds in righting itself, the JPY will come back as a strong contender.
China will be the next superpower.

Got CNY?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketneutral

Got CNY?* *
Nope. Not until China does more to deregulate their economy and prove that it will enforce the rule of law.

- George Orwell

Old 12-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Got CNY?* *
I believe this. But it's probably a 10+ year play rather than a short to mid term play.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Nope.* Not until China does more to deregulate their economy and prove that it will enforce the rule of law.
U.S. companies are moving there because the regulations are easier and no unions.

Remember we have to sell 2.8B in debt per day to keep this great nation floating. Who is the largest buyer? HMMM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
U.S. companies are moving there because the regulations are easier and no unions.* *

Remember we have to sell 2.8B in debt per day to keep this great nation floating.* Who is the largest buyer?* HMMM.* *
I'm not sure our government cares who is buying, as long as they keep buying.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It has gone down because the Fed has been printing money like there is no tomorrow during the Bush Administration. It is the nature of a pure fiat currency.

It's also a factor in why the value of gold has doubled during the last few years.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:

Got CNY?* *
Yes, but before they get there, they will take one hell of a fall that will delay their ascent to superpower status.* Not the super power , but a super power.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I'm not sure our government cares who is buying, as long as they keep buying.
Hey this is my area of expertise: So we have this strange relationship with Japan and China. We buy their stuff and send them our money; they recirculate loan us the money back to keep things going. It's just like the cold war stand off, but different: Both relationships are built on mutually assured self distruction co-dependency, but just one is financial. Well, technically they are both finanical--if little remains. The Japanese and Chinese combined hold one trillion dollars worth of US bonds. If they dump all at once, the price of US bonds will drop like a rock. And then US consumer buying will stop, dead in its tracks. But the good thing will be: a buying opportunity--but probably not.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Hey this is my area of expertise: So we have this strange relationship with Japan and China. We buy their stuff and send them our money; they recirculate loan us the money back to keep things going. It's just like the cold war stand off, but different: Both relationships are built on mutually assured self distruction co-dependency, but just one is financial. Well, technically they are both finanical--if little remains. The Japanese and Chinese combined hold one trillion dollars worth of US bonds. If they dump all at once, the price of US bonds will drop like a rock. And then US consumer buying will stop, dead in its tracks. But the good thing will be: a buying opportunity--but probably not.

Very astute post. It is always a stand off in economics. Management vs. Labor. ect.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #14

The $US is declining and will continue because your economy has been totally mismanaged and your debt levels are getting to the point where no one wants to hold your money.

The US continues to run HUGE Trade defecits, your debt grows astronomically, compare that to Canada where the government posts a surplus, the defecit has been eliminated, and we are paying off our debt.

The bubbleheads on CNBC skirt the issue,but there is a grim reckoning, and don't blame Foreigners, you guys created this mess.

Interest rates fall, people refinance with a bigger mortgage instead of paying the damn thing off.

I remember when the $CDN was worth more than the Greenback, those days are returning.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #15

Well I'm no fan of debt. For Myself, for others, and for my government.

However, The credit card crowd will rightfully point out that as a percentage of GDP the US debt level is actually going down (beleive it or not !)

That's cause the US economy is growing at a pace faster than debt accumulation.

Can this continue indefinitely... Well no I dought it. Especially when you factor in the so called unfunded and implied social obligations of the government, and the additional debt that may be aquired to support it.

One could make a case however, that Canada, by running a surplus, is actually growing slower than they could and their people will (somewhat) suffer a (somewhat) lower standard of living.

- Anyway that's the debtors argument. Which I don't necesarily believe but I posted it for your consumption.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Well I'm no fan of debt. For Myself, for others, and for my government.

However, The credit card crowd will rightfully point out that as a percentage of GDP the US debt level is actually going down (beleive it or not !)
When you include "paper gain" home equity appreciation this is a true statement.

However, you do not get a profit until you sell...and you can not sell until you have a buyer.

I do not use home equity gains in any of my calculations and it is best left out of the GDP.* But it is not.*

Funny factoid about GDP.* They include social security as a "fixed income investment".* However, we know it has been spent.* *:P
Old 12-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

It is doubtful that ever before in the history of the US has there been a federal government, both executive and legislative, as incompetent, venal and arrogant as this one.

I have more respect for a whore in the street than these fat cat plutocrat bullshit artists.
alphabet soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet soup
It is doubtful that ever before in the history of the US has there been a federal government, both executive and legislative, as incompetent, venal and arrogant as this one.

I have more respect for a whore in the street than these fat cat plutocrat bull**** artists.*
Watch this for a couple minutes:

http://zfacts.com/p/461.html

Have a bucket handy.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:

I have more respect for a whore in the street than these fat cat plutocrat bull**** artists.
Yeh, At least a whore knows what they are.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #20

Quote:

I have more respect for a whore in the street than these fat cat plutocrat bull**** artists.*
Yeah. You see that because you are paying attention. Most Americans are not.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote