Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Why should most ER's care about their Credit Score?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #1

Why should most ER's care about their Credit Score?

Most ER's on this forum have over a $1 Million liquid and paid off homes and properties. If they are anything like me they charge everything on a Credit Card and pay it off monthly, never really plan on borrowing any money in the future.

So, the question is - Is there any reason to be concerned about your credit score? - I have no idea what mine is, but have never had any problem getting a mortgage, credit card etc. etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Why should most ER's care about their Credit Score?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The trend is for more companies to charge you differently depending on your credit score. For example, many property insurers charge based on your credit. Some providers of individual health insurance charge in part and underwrite in part based on your credit score.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe auto insurance and possibly other insurance is based at least partly on credit score.

There is a better correlation between insurance payouts and a poor credit score than between payouts and driving record.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Most ER's ... If they are anything like me they charge everything on a Credit Card and pay it off monthly, never really plan on borrowing any money in the future.

So, the question is - Is there any reason to be concerned about your credit score? - I have no idea what mine is, but have never had any problem getting a mortgage, credit card etc. etc.
I'm the same. If our credit scores get screwed up it means identity theft or mis-identity. Either would be problematic.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I agree that most of us in ER have a marginal need to monitor our credit score. Generally it's pretty high for us. Just recently we took the plunge and put a security freeze on our credit files. Should go a long way towards avoiding ID theft.

Les
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I generally fit the profile described...use CC all the time, but pay off each month, etc., a couple years ago, I did get a HE line-o-credit. Of course the high FICO score made it easy as pie. I lease a car (no advice on this please ) and they look at our credit score for that.

Bottom line is that I'd certainly rather keep the score high, with a nice clean record rather than something less than that. It can't hurt.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Bottom line is that I'd certainly rather keep the score high, with a nice clean record rather than something less than that. It can't hurt.
I think that was my point. Just the way we tend to run our financial lives keeps our score high. But we don't really need it. I think this comes under the heading that the bank will give you an umbrella when the sun is shining.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
I believe auto insurance and possibly other insurance is based at least partly on credit score.

There is a better correlation between insurance payouts and a poor credit score than between payouts and driving record.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Some states use this as a way to drive up the costs of insurance for the poorer folks, who also frequently end up being people of color. Outlawed in california and i'm sure a few other states.

Many businesses use the fico score to determine if they'll do business with you and at what cost. When I signed up for a cell phone plan about 7 years ago the guy told me they would have to look up my score before letting me sign their 1 year agreement and getting the free phone. Said below a certain point you had to put a deposit into the account that they'd hold, probably for the amount of the 'free' phone.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

When we put in an alarm system, they checked our FICO score to determine the deposit.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. This makes me want to actually look up my score (no idea). But I think I have to pay to do that, right?

Yeah - I know Verizon did a credit check on me when I signed up for their cellphone plan. It's in my credit report.

Audrey
Old 01-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You can get it for free if you sign up for a no-commitment 'credit monitoring' service that'll be a pain in the butt to cancel.

Or pay a little bit to get it...it can be had for $10-20. Your insurance agent might get it for you for free if you live in a state that gauges your rates by fico score, or if you're a bit friendly with them.

You can also pretty much figure it out for yourself, in general terms. Get your free credit report from one of the 3 credit outfits. No late fees, no more than 3 credit cards, no department store cards, not carrying any high balances or a high balance to total credit limit ratio, had credit more than 20 years...your score should be good. Got some 30-day plus late payments, 8 credit cards (5 of which are department store ones), 50% balance to limit ratio and your oldest currently open account is 5 years old? Lousy score.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 AM   #12

Never gave it much thought. Use CC for almost everything and pay it off each month, mostly before it is due. Virtually never use credit unless it is 0% for some period. Never had a problem with rates. Download the really free credit reports once a year just to check the records. Credit score last time I got it was a tad below the best -- seems that you cannot get to the top unless you have a mortgage (Not for me).
Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Interesting. This makes me want to actually look up my score (no idea). But I think I have to pay to do that, right?
If you have a Washington Mutual credit card, they will let you see the score free on their cardholder website.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #14

I've noticed a lot of places will keep your credit score secret from you when they run your file. However, there were two times when a lender actually told me my credit score. Back in 2002 I went to the local Nissan dealer to look at the new Altimas, and I let them run a credit check on me. They actually told me the score...742.

When I got my HELOC back in early 2005, they also told me the score. By then it was up to 759. I forget what the highest is that it can be...either 800 or 850. I think that once you get above 700 though, you're pretty much golden.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You can get it for free if you sign up for a no-commitment 'credit monitoring' service that'll be a pain in the butt to cancel.
I already have one of those credit monitoring services since some very sensitive mail suspiciously disappeared a year ago. I guess I need to go to their website and dig around for my info.

Audrey
Old 01-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You are entitled to a free report from each rating service once a year. I don't believe it actually contains a FICO score.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #17

Yeah they're required to give a "free" report but not the credit score. Been there done that ....

I said on another thread that I was REJECTED for a HELOC re-fi because of "insufficient income". Credit score was mailed with the rejection (730) ... also said the credit score was NOT the problem. Would have been nice to drop the rate 1 point .... but not the end of the world.

Lesson learned was to line up all your credit lines BEFORE FIRE (which we did). And the less liquid your assests are the more credit/flexability you'll need.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We were told our FICO scores when we bought our new Honda. Mine was 820...wife's was 790. This was 5 years ago when we were both still working. Guess it could be different now. We asked the dealership what it was after they ran it. They didn't seem to mind telling us.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

The credit score issue is touchy for us - mine is great, but when my DH got divorced, his X messed up a bunch of CC. He didn't want to fuss with it and opted for a debit card only. So any credit we need, including the mortgage, is in my name only. We are fine, as long as something doesn't happen to me. I have a hard time getting him to see this and act on it to try take steps needed improve his score.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Yeah they're required to give a "free" report but not the credit score. Been there done that ....

I said on another thread that I was REJECTED for a HELOC re-fi because of "insufficient income". Credit score was mailed with the rejection (730) ... also said the credit score was NOT the problem. Would have been nice to drop the rate 1 point .... but not the end of the world.

Lesson learned was to line up all your credit lines BEFORE FIRE (which we did). And the less liquid your assests are the more credit/flexability you'll need.
Huh...I got a heloc several years after retiring and had no problems at all. Maybe my amount was lower ($150k IIRC) or my bank took my assets into consideration. I think at the time my taxable gross income was under $25k per year for that year and the year prior.

Since its a well secured loan (based on your home) thats a weird outcome.

I'll be getting another HELOC from penfed since I canned our DCU account last year. We'll see how that goes.