Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why vanguard's expenses are so cheap, lousy customer service/hidden fees
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I just checked at Vanguard online to see if they display the short term trading fee. They did. You can even click on "details" and it will display how they calculated the short term trading fee (number of shares held less than 2 mos. vs. number of shares held > 2 mos.). OP, you must have overlooked that detail, or something screwed up during your transaction!
Did these warnings come up in a separate window?? Some people turn off launching
windows to cut down on the online Ads and might miss them, good idea to turn that
off for selected sites.
Tom

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
Did these warnings come up in a separate window?? Some people turn off launching
windows to cut down on the online Ads and might miss them, good idea to turn that
off for selected sites.
Here's what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redemption fee.jpg (59.3 KB, 86 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb redemption fee.jpg_thumb (5.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just as ERD50 did, I went to the Vanguard website, and I looked at their list of funds, and I saw the International Value Fund on the list, and right next to the name of the fund it indicates the short term redemption fee. Vanguard also discloses the redemption fees in the prospectus on page 28 in the section that talks about redeeming shares. So I think it was adequately disclosed.

I admit that most people don't take the time to read these things, but, it's their own fault for not doing so.

By the way, I am a paperless techie too, so I understand not wanting to have a lot of paper lying around. What I do is download the prospectus and summary for each fund that I own and save it on my computer in PDF format. And yes I do read them.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have my sympathy, too. Perhaps the warning didn't appear, or maybe you got distracted and missed it, but it sure hurts to lose some money like that. I think that I once almost paid some redemption fees by mistake. I knew about them in general, but with many different funds it's easy to forget that stuff.

If it makes you feel any better, the loss of that $450 will probably make no difference for you for the rest of your life. Also, maybe the exchange will result in a gain that will offset that.

VG said they won't cancel Internet transactions. If it had been on the phone would they have cancelled it? I much prefer online transactions, but if that's so, I might use the phone for big money changes.

Justin, did you initiate and then cancel a transaction just for the sake of this forum?? Man, that's above and beyond.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #25

Here's what you get when you click on the Intl Value fund from their list of funds (this appears on the very first page):

Important Fee Information

Redemption Fee
The fund charges a 2% fee ($20 per $1,000 invested) on shares redeemed within two months of purchase. The fee is paid directly to the fund and therefore is not considered a load.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Justin, did you initiate and then cancel a transaction just for the sake of this forum?? Man, that's above and beyond.
I mainly wanted to verify whether VG displays the early redemption fees clearly (for my own purposes). I also figured out that if you have some shares that you've held for longer than 2 months, and you attempt to sell a number of shares less than the amount you have held over 2 mos., then they will not assess any type of short term trading fee.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
Which discount broker do you trust more than Vanguard?
2Cor521
Schwab...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, Justin, that screen was complete news to me and thank you for posting it!

I certainly did not see such a screen, or I certainly would not have done the transaction! Thank you for posting how clear it *should* be. I wonder if tehre is some tech support that I can address to why I never saw such a screen.

I have been using TD Ameritrade since it was Waterhouse. Honestly, I have not had to deal too directly with them since the change, but while they were Waterhouse, I always had things addressed quickly, fees reversed rather easily and generally a "we'll try to make you happy" ethic generally by flexing the "look how much in assets I have with you". I guess I am a hill of beans in the VG world and they react differently.

Yes, I agree, had I read the prospectus, I certainly would have seen that, and also agree that I probably saw it when I purchased the fund. But of course, it slipped my mind when I made the exchange, and just thought it should be more prominently displayed, like Justin showed. I unfortunately didn't seem to see that screen for whatever reason.

I have dealt with VG support one other time, also to attempt to cancel a transaction, to no avail. It just seems like tehy should be able to cancel a transaction if it still in a "PENDING" state. It makes no sense that they should have any issue with this. I also wonder if it is more simple to do all trades through the phone, where they will have to offer the information on a recorded line. If there is no extra cost to do that, I might take that route in the future.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Just to show I'm not a total hard-@$$ about this:

I am a bit surprised, considering that the transaction does not occur until the close of the market the next day, that Vanguard would not allow you to just cancel the transaction.

I realize, mistakes can happen, and since nothing was done yet, what harm is there in simply canceling it? Sure, they would not want to be doing this 1,000 times a day, and if the same customer made multiple requests, they could deny them, but otherwise, I think it would be good customer service to cancel it.

OTOH, maybe they *do* get asked this thousands of times each day. In that case, the costs would add up, so maybe it is the right thing to do.

-ERD50
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #30

Olav,

How long have you had the account at VG? How large are the assets you have at VG? Are we talking under $50,000 (probably small beans to VG) or $250,000 or $1,000,000? Usually the more you have with them, the more accomodating they are (funny how $$ talks...). Just curious.

I am surprised they wouldn't work out anything with you (either rescind the pending exchange or waiving part/all of the early redemption fee). They are very serious about limiting short term trading. In fact, when I did the trial run of selling my VEURX to get the screen cap image I posted, they stated that I would be restricted from making any new purchases within 2 months since I was withdrawing my $$ early. "In order to curb short term trading". That is why Vanguard's costs/fees are so low (for most folks). But in any event, it sucks to lose $450, especially in this manner.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently, $85k, but I told them I was planning in the short term to add another $40k. This did not help my argument at all. Talk about inflation, that $50k is now considered small beans! hehehe.

As far as how long I have had the accounts, probably about 7 months at this point. Still a noob, as you can see.

Thank you everyone for letting me vent. I guess I continue fighting this or take it as a learning expense as you said. I feel slighted and it might negatively impact what assets I put where. But, I definitely will know now to check the fees page BEFORE any transaction. It is too bad that the lesson of "read the fees page" will cost me the price of a nice 3 day cruise....

Quote:
Olav,

How long have you had the account at VG? How large are the assets you have at VG? Are we talking under $50,000 (probably small beans to VG) or $250,000 or $1,000,000? Usually the more you have with them, the more accomodating they are (funny how $$ talks...). Just curious.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #32

IMHO a transaction done on the web should be no different than one done with a representative. If the rep would have said "Sir, you understand there will be a $450 fee for this transaction" then the web should also.

I'm in favor of limiting short term trades too.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Why not call back and talk to someone else.... maybe with the info you have you can get some relief... that is IF you had not screamed by the warning screen... but, if they normally display it and it was NOT displayed, you have a legit argument...

Have them research and get back with you..
Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Here's what it looks like:
Seems straight forward to me, I would eat the $450, lesson learned.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #35

I've gotten bitten by unexpected early redemption fees over at Fidelity years ago too so this isn't just a Vanguard thing. I think it's a rite of passage for investors, something you learn early in your investing career to look at carefully. A good reason to start investing your own money with small balances so you learn these things while the costs are low.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm invested in the Vanguard Int'l Value Index Fund. So I'm sharing in the benefits from your $450 loss. : : :

Sure we can't persuade you to re-invest?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23
Wow, Justin, that screen was complete news to me and thank you for posting it!

I certainly did not see such a screen, or I certainly would not have done the transaction! Thank you for posting how clear it *should* be. I wonder if tehre is some tech support that I can address to why I never saw such a screen.
I do not think tech support could help you because it is a psychological or mental issue.

To wit: As part of my job, I write graphical user interfaces. Recently I created a new feature for a program I developed and I wanted to test it. So I added a pop-up dialog with information for the user to read and act upon. Then I had my colleagues test the new feature. Without fail, users simply dismissed the pop-up dialog without reading it. So I added bold text "PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE CONTINUING". A new group of testers simply dismissed the dialog without reading it either. In essence, since the users didn't expect a warning or dialog or something to read, when it appeared, they simply ignored it and dismissed it.

I do such things myself, so I was only half surprised that my testers were blind.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I've done a buttload of trading of vanguard funds using their web site. I've ALWAYS gotten a warning screen I had to click through as to any fees/charges involved with the trade, including the redemption fees, and had to click 'I'm okay with this, proceed' before moving ahead with the trade.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #39

Short term holding fees are the reason I no longer use mutual funds for trading. They are also one of the big reasons for the rise in popularity of ETF's. I would expect this trend to continue.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #40

If it weren't for Vanguard we wouldn't have low fees. John Bogle, former chairman and founder of Vanguard is the person we can thank for pioneering index funds and introducing low fees for mutual fund investors. He first wrote about the concept of the customer earning the profits in his 1951 thesis when he was a senior at Princeton. He believed that the customer should make the money off of investments and not the company or the fund managers, because afterall it's the investor taking the risk.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote