Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think that assuming that people are "clueless" in these circumstances is jumping to conclusions. Times change. Circumstances change. Attitudes change.

There is a quote often attributed to John Maynard Keynes, but probably not his and maybe originated with economist Paul Samuelson that is something like-

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

I think that quote applies to people deciding that their careers should end as well.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like some others I missed this post the first time around. The tone suggests that you have screwed up somehow to end up being in this FIRE community. There are lot's of things that happen over the course of time. When I started at Megacorp years ago the deal was that at age 55 you would get a pension along with what your put into the compliment thrift plan savings with a decent match. The math worked and I jumped onboard. (by the way this convinced me to bypass a Gov't job with similar bennies but less growth potential - silly me).

Fast forward 14 years and the pension is frozen and everybody is fighting for their job. No problem. I'm young enough and this will work out. 15 years later it's 2009 and your reapplying for the same job you've held for 10 years. Always had great reviews but that doesn't matter.

Fortunately I've always worked in the field and never been a cubicle rat (no insult intended). I can't say I've done anything wrong and I won't let anybody get me down. I view this forum as two phases - FI and RE. I'm at FI and will RE when I want to, strictly on my terms
Old 10-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #163

I wanted to retire early when I graduated from high school. When I went to college guidance counselor, he suggested engineering since I was very good at math. Since it paid well, I did it, but never was passionate about it like some of my co-workers. It was just a nice paycheck. So essentially, nothing changed in 35 years, just my ability to cope.
48Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

I found that I had about a 10 year attention span with careers that sparked my interest. First up was electronics technician, then software engineering and finally project management before I ERed. At the end of those 10 year spans, I had become a victim of my success by being propelled into management, which basically killed the passion. When I was a junior project engineer, I used to observe the project managers and wondered if their jobs were as frustrating as they looked. Unfortunately, my foresight was spot on!
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
There are states where its legal to still, but for personal use only. This state allows 200 gallons per person!

MRG
Better check your laws before you decide to take any action on that. I'm quite certain that it is illegal to distill alcohol w/o the proper Federal license.

It is legal in all states to brew beer or make wine, up to 200 gallons per household, 100 gal if only one adult (some states might have tighter restrictions?). Distillation is a whole 'nother matter.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Whatever the law is regarding alcohol production, BATF is the agency that enforces it.

And they can be very, er, forceful from what I have read. Better be careful!
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Something went south. A lot of you folks obviously studied hard, made all kinds of sacrifices, maybe even went to graduate school so you could work in your chosen profession. And, now, many of you are counting the days, months, years, or decades looking for the time you can quit the job you hate. Now, I understand that many of you just want to retire early to get on with your lives, but what about the others of you? What happened? What didn’t you account for?
(Ah, duck, is this any way to make friends)?
And, maybe more importantly, how did I make this post green?
It's asking a lot for teenagers to make life long career decisions. And that is what many do when choosing a degree to pursue in college. Once you have that, it's not so easy to pursue a career not related to your college education. Many are stuck by decisions made early in life. That's not clueless imo.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Better check your laws before you decide to take any action on that. I'm quite certain that it is illegal to distill alcohol w/o the proper Federal license.

It is legal in all states to brew beer or make wine, up to 200 gallons per household, 100 gal if only one adult (some states might have tighter restrictions?). Distillation is a whole 'nother matter.

-ERD50
I stand corrected, the federal law overrides the state. Missouri law says its legal but the feds override it. Much like some other states that say you can do certain things that are illegal at the federal level.

Really wasn't planning on acting on distilling, thought was what would one do with 200 gallons per year?

Understanding the Law

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #169

Quote:
It's asking a lot for teenagers to make life long career decisions. And that is what many do when choosing a degree to pursue in college. Once you have that, it's not so easy to pursue a career not related to your college education. Many are stuck by decisions made early in life. That's not clueless imo.
Yep. I just recently retired, and I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Something went south. ... What happened? What didn’t you account for?
Stuff happens - much of which can't be anticipated. Things can go gradually and unpredictably south despite having started down an otherwise interesting and rewarding path, and despite having continued good intentions. Company reorgs, new tasks, new taskmasters, new layers of reporting, compliance routines, etc. Some change can be positive or at least re-framed to offer new opportunities for growth. Some not so much. Sometimes work just loses it's freshness over the years and it feels like time for something new. In the end, you may find yourself far enough along a path that making a severe course correction, as in taking a major step back to move to a new career, or perhaps throwing away soon to vest retirement benefits, would be foolish. If you find yourself in that situation, you stick it out, do your best to continue to contribute and survive as you can, while keeping an eye on the prize until the golden handcuffs come off. It has less to do with being clueless than with moving through life and playing the cards your dealt as best you can.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I stand corrected, the federal law overrides the state. Missouri law says its legal but the feds override it. Much like some other states that say you can do certain things that are illegal at the federal level.

Really wasn't planning on acting on distilling, thought was what would one do with 200 gallons per year?

Understanding the Law

MRG
Interesting, I didn't know that some states 'legalized' it (if you an call it that since fed law trumps state law, as you point out).

But yes, what the heck would you do with 100 or 200 gallons of high-proof alcohol! I have had a sip of the illegal stuff. No big deal, I can't really see much point in sipping straight distilled alcohol, but it wasn't bad at all. For me, it was just the curiosity, and I think also for the guy who made it. I think he made a mason jar amount.

A not-so-funny story on one of the home brewing forums - A guy said some cops were asking questions when they saw him brewing beer in his driveway. Many home brewers use a copper coil that they run tap water through to cool their beer after the boil, to bring it to the right temperature for the yeast to go to work (technically, it is still called 'wort' at this point). The copper coil is known as an immersion chiller. Well, these cops saw 'copper coil', and had some training to know those are used in distilling. So they were threatening to arrest this guy for illegal distilling.

IIRC, he managed to talk his way out of it, but it could be scary.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I wanted to retire early when I graduated from high school. When I went to college guidance counselor, he suggested engineering since I was very good at math. Since it paid well, I did it, but never was passionate about it like some of my co-workers. It was just a nice paycheck. So essentially, nothing changed in 35 years, just my ability to cope.
This is so true. I never wanted to "BE" anything career-wise. (Besides opera singer but I put that in the category of "cowboy" and "Batman" and got serious) I just worked because I had to and it's the only way to get enough money to retire. "Passionate" I was not except maybe in the beginning when you're just pushing Life's buttons and it's all fun. There was no career to eff-up and nothing to be clueless about. I knew exactly what I wanted and exactly what I was doing
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

I thought of this thread when I saw an excerpt from this article by Scott Adams:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...21813075903866

Success begets passion (not the other way around), goals breed failure, and luck is very important but you need to keep moving around til luck finds you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2936711393.jpg (60.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

None of my passions would have earned me a living, but my living has allowed me to pursue my passions as hobbies!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #175
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
None of my passions would have earned me a living, but my living has allowed me to pursue my passions as hobbies!

Amethyst
Well said...

I never had a career but I aways had a job. Earning money was my focus during my accumulation years, which allowed me to retire earlier than most and lets me live as I wish - not as I have to, in retirement.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #176

To be blunt, I've always been lazy. I knew I'd prefer not working even before I started working. Grad school was a means to avoid going to work. However, just because I was lazy didn't mean I was an idiot. I did the math and knew I needed to work for a while to not work for a longer while. Since I never found any profession I loved (though I did, fortunately, find one I was good at) work was always just a means to this end.

Finally after 25 years of playing that game it's time to start being the bum I was always meant to be.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
To be blunt, I've always been lazy. I knew I'd prefer not working even before I started working. Grad school was a means to avoid going to work. However, just because I was lazy didn't mean I was an idiot. I did the math and knew I needed to work for a while to not work for a longer while. Since I never found any profession I loved (though I did, fortunately, find one I was good at) work was always just a means to this end.

Finally after 25 years of playing that game it's time to start being the bum I was always meant to be.
I very much sympathize with this point of view. Although the first job I had out of college was exciting to me, I think it was only exciting because I was moving away from a small Southern town and living at home (I lived at home during college), to a metro area and my own apartment.

It didn't take me long to figure out that having to work, sit in a cube, do what somebody else tells me, and make THEM money...sucks.

Thinking back, in the almost 25 years it's been since I left college in 1990, the only job I had I truly enjoyed was as a real estate agent for 2.5 years, when I was running my own show. Every other job I've had has just been another unchallenging and unrewarding rat race.

I could wax poetic about how all those experiences "built character", made me a better person, blah blah blah, but if I could push a button and have been born into a wealthy family and never had to work a day in my life, I probably would.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Me three! I already was a character.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post

I could wax poetic about how all those experiences "built character", made me a better person, blah blah blah, but if I could push a button and have been born into a wealthy family and never had to work a day in my life, I probably would.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I very much sympathize with this point of view. Although the first job I had out of college was exciting to me, I think it was only exciting because I was moving away from a small Southern town and living at home (I lived at home during college), to a metro area and my own apartment.

It didn't take me long to figure out that having to work, sit in a cube, do what somebody else tells me, and make THEM money...sucks.

Thinking back, in the almost 25 years it's been since I left college in 1990, the only job I had I truly enjoyed was as a real estate agent for 2.5 years, when I was running my own show. Every other job I've had has just been another unchallenging and unrewarding rat race.

I didn't see it that way. To me, a career meant independence. I made the decision to go into a high paying field mainly because it was likely to lead to FI eventually. I was particularly concerned about loss of independence on marriage and being tied to the fortunes of some guy who might not turn out to be Prince Charming. I had both good and bad experiences that I had not anticipated. I did what I had to do. The interesting thing is that my career alone would not have made me FIRE. I got there with the help of an inheritance from my LBYM lower middle class parents.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #180

I like my job. It is rewarding and I feel it is important. Everything is going as I planned! My parents retired at age 57, when I was in my mid-20s. My parents taught me to LBYM, and when they retired, my goal was to retire at the same age they did. Now, 20 years later, I am on track to do just that.

We actually could do it sooner, except for the issues around federal health benefits. I have to stay until 57 to get those, and that is a huge perk not worth missing.