Join Early Retirement Today

Why would our SS estimated benefits go down?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just logged into my and my wife's SS accounts to see if our estimated benefit amounts had changed any after year-end 2016. Much to my surprise all of our estimated benefit amounts had gone down. For example, here are my estimates:

FRA: $2840 as of 12/30/16...$2830 now

Age 70: $3604 as of 12/30/16...$3588 now

Age 62: $2018 as of 12/30/16...$2015 now

I realize the differences are not that great but still. And what's weird is my earnings have increased almost every year for the past 30+ years.

Does anyone know why our estimated benefit amounts would have decreased despite the fact our earnings have increased over the years?

Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Lower projected inflation increases used by the SSA?

Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I just logged into my and my wife's SS accounts to see if our estimated benefit amounts had changed any after year-end 2016. Much to my surprise all of our estimated benefit amounts had gone down. For example, here are my estimates:

I realize the differences are not that great but still. And what's weird is my earnings have increased almost every year for the past 30+ years.

Does anyone know why our estimated benefit amounts would have decreased despite the fact our earnings have increased over the years?
The estimates always state the assumption that your earned SS income will remain the same until you start drawing your benefits.

Perhaps your prior year's earnings were low or zero? That could cause your new estimates to be revised downwards a bit.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine went up if IIRC, I have stopped working since 2015.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Perhaps your prior year's earnings were low or zero? That could cause your new estimates to be revised downwards a bit.
No low or zero earnings. As I mentioned previously : "I realize the differences are not that great but still. And what's weird is my earnings have increased almost every year for the past 30+ years."
Old 04-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
That's the only reason I can think of.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
No low or zero earnings. As I mentioned previously : "I realize the differences are not that great but still. And what's weird is my earnings have increased almost every year for the past 30+ years."
Right. You said "almost every year" so I was looking for clarification.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
They do not project inflation.... they are giving it in todays dollars...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

$10/mo. is big.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Reduced COLA?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I would look at the data to see if any of your salary history has changed....

How many years do you have Maybe a old year dropped off and because of the way they calculate it changed...

Was this last year an increase or a decrease?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

That's why they call them "Estimates."
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 AM   #13

Quote:

My recollection is that the SSA had assumed a specific rate of inflation for the year 2016, but the cola for that year ended up being zero. Check the calculation of your wages for that year under the assumption last year and the assumptions now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

From your benefit amounts, you seem to be hitting the max possible. That means that it simply doesn't matter whether your salary/earnings increases or not since you have been at or over the "Taxed Social Security Earnings" for many years now. Those extra earnings do not increase your future benefits anyways.

So your earnings have nothing to do with any changes.

I got my SSA statement and was pleasantly surprised that because I worked full time during high school, that I don't have any zeroes (0) for any of the top 35 years anymore. But I also read that working years before age 22 don't count, but I am not sure if that is true.

Another cool thing is that back in the 1980s, the max taxed SS earnings were under $50K a year.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you retire or quit working, the amount will go down as SSA's assumption is that you continue to work (at the same level) until the age you begin taking benefits.
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
If you retire or quit working, the amount will go down as SSA's assumption is that you continue to work (at the same level) until the age you begin taking benefits.
That's not necessarily true. For instance, you could have fulfilled SS contribution requirements in 35 of years past at the highest levels while the most recent years could be at a lower level [maybe you have a different job or scaled back your hours] and not be included in your 35 best years.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
But I also read that working years before age 22 don't count, but I am not sure if that is true.
Where did you read that? (It's not true)
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Another cool thing is that back in the 1980s, the max taxed SS earnings were under $50K a year.
That's true.

Of course salaries were lower in the 1980s, and the maximum taxable earnings did almost double over the course of the 80s.

see: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/maxtax.html
Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Where did you read that? (It's not true)
In this Q & A:
The Maximum Social Security Benefit for 2017 | Money
Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
It says:

"To get the highest benefit possible at your full retirement age (FRA), your income needs to have been at or above the Social Security earnings ceiling (the amount of income subject to payroll tax) each year for at least 35 years since age 22."

That's not the same as saying that the working years before age 22 don't count. They do.

I have no idea what they really mean in this article. The only reference to age 22 in Social Security that I can find only has to do with a child who becomes disabled before age 22.