Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why you should save instead of spend!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find the definition of "tune up" on modern cars interesting. *Generally it means changing the plugs and some filters and closing the hood. *There really isn't anything for the mechanic to "fine tune" or adjust. *DW still thinks the mechanic goes over her car with a fine tooth comb, tweaking this and that, when she brings it in for a "tune up." *Ha! *They change the plugs and filters, look at some high profit wear parts for opportunites to do some additional work, and close the hood spending as little time as possible.

I always "tuned" my own cars when that meant changing points and plugs, setting timing and dwell, etc. *It was labor intensive, needed to be done frequently and you could save a bundle doing it yourself with inexpensive tools and gauges. * Then, pollution control do-dads were added under the hood and the job got tough so I stopped. *Now, there isn't much involved in doing a 'tune up" so I'm back to doing them myself again. *Of course, none of my current fleet has hard to reach plugs or filters and that helps. *Admittedly, I'm beyond the days of crawling on top of engines to reach plugs up against the firewall, etc.

Cars are indeed much more reliable these days. *Thank goodness.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107

probley wouldnt matter what the rate is ,its the overall lease payment that counts..but i bet take the cost of a lease for 4 years,then take the cost of buying and trading in the vehicle at the end of 4 years at the wholesale price....i bet you will be very surprised which cost less overall
The manufactures will always make leasing cheaper for the person who's going to get out of their cars every 3 or 4 years.
Can you guess the reason why they do that?

I know their just nice people!

Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

While this thead is interesting, my point was that I would rather purchase my cheap car with the work done by my investments rather than an expensive car purchased by the sweat of my brow. It is like having an employee who works for free without whining. Of course, that's just me.

OTOH, the downside is that I lost a car in yesterday's market. Grin and bear it.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #44

Quote:
probley wouldnt matter what the rate is ,its the overall lease payment that counts..but i bet take the cost of a lease for 4 years,then take the cost of buying and trading in the vehicle at the end of 4 years at the wholesale price....i bet you will be very surprised which cost less overall
So you're a monthly payment buyer, eh? Step into my office... we will take care of you!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:34 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
the only thing that bugs me about a 4-year lease is if it is on a car with a 3-year warranty. if so, i'd have to factor in the cost of an extended warranty, or take the car for 3 years at a higher rate. imagine replacing the engine on a lease. ouch.
my current leases were a 4 yr factory warranty otherwise your right...in fact with my new bmw x3 lease even maintaince is covered for 4 years.i pay nothing even for wind shield wipers...
* *i just find that after 4 years or so cars today are much more problematic than even just a few years ago..after the just put oil in my maxima for 200,000 miles of the 90's the manufacturers realized they were putting themselves out of business.....and so there is a definite difference in longevity of parts according to jd powers and my own ownerships...thats not to say if you keep a car many years the costs of repairs will make it a worse deal than trading it in every 4years* but the reliability factor drops big time and that to me is worth alot.... my last few nissans and my volvo were great for the first 3-4 years.then ownership became problematic...in fact id venture to say that in the 8 years i kept my well maintained volvo the only thing i didnt replace was the glove compartment door!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou
Bought a used 80 Ford in 83, drove it to work for 25 years.
Joe
Something ain't right about that math.......
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #47

Quote:
i just find that after 4 years or so cars today are much more problematic than even just a few years ago..after the just put oil in my maxima for 200,000 miles of the 90's the manufacturers realized they were putting themselves out of business.....
I'm proudly sporting a maxima of the 90's. A 98 max with what has been rated the most reliable motor for 10 straight years.

It has 80k miles, and a few suspension problems (comes with any car)...but that's it. I plan on putting 200k on it. SO, living 4 miles from work....I might have it in 2020!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
my current leases were a 4 yr factory warranty otherwise your right...in fact with my new bmw x3 lease even maintaince is covered for 4 years.i pay nothing even for wind shield wipers...
* *i just find that after 4 years or so cars today are much more problematic than even just a few years ago..after the just put oil in my maxima for 200,000 miles of the 90's the manufacturers realized they were putting themselves out of business.....and so there is a definite difference in longevity of parts according to jd powers and my own ownerships...thats not to say if you keep a car many years the costs of repairs will make it a worse deal than trading it in every 4years* but the reliability factor drops big time and that to me is worth alot.... my last few nissans and my volvo were great for the first 3-4 years.then ownership became problematic...in fact id venture to say that in the 8 years i kept my well maintained volvo the only thing i didnt replace was the glove compartment door!
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one, some cars are lemons, but no manufacturer is going to destroy their reputation to go back to "planned obsolescence". There are a thousand senior term business papers out there on where that took the big 3 auto makers. You've got plenty of people on this board who have kept cars for a decade or more with very few problems.

Just say, I like new cars, it's what I want to spend my money on NYFB, and it's all good! I have a love affair with cars too, brother!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

the problem with the big 3 was their quality sucked when the cars were new...my nissans were very reliable for the first 36,000 miles or so..i dont think its a coincidence the alternator on my altima failed at 37,000 and on the quest at 39,000.....
you see we were led to be believe that japanese cars were long lasting and trouble free based on earlier products we owned...when the first alternator failed i chaulked it up to bad luck and an isolated inceident....when the 2nd one went im like hey whats up here...after visiting some nissan websites and everyone chiming in we all realize that almost none of has that trouble free performance we had from earlier cars we owned...jd powers wrote an article a few years ago about the very subject..parts were re-designed to be trouble free for just so many years and then creat business............
Old 05-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

You'll have to cite a source for me. My extended family has owned Hondas, Nissans, Infinitis, and Toyotas from model year '79, '83, '95, '97, '99, '01, '03, '05. All except the '79 cvcc are still on the road, that car was "traded in" running just fine for a '95 Honda Accord Hybrid. Everyone has loved their Accords, Altimas, etc. No problems.

If you look at consumer reports, Accords and Camrys always top the list. There really hasn't been a degradation in quality. Now other manufacturers have to raise their game to try and compete, thus the 7 year 100k warranties.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

ill see if i can find the jd powers article..
Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #52

I still have my 1993 Saab 900s bought with cash as one of those "dealers" cars with only several hundred miles on it. I know that here with gas at $6.50/gallon, I'd be 'better off' with a tiny car like a Mini Cooper, a Smart car, or a Lancia Y.. the small Alpha Romeo is also singing its siren song. Parking for me is an issue now: I feel like a big white whale.

But the Saab at 13 y.o. has less than 50,000 miles on it, so at this rate I may be stuck with it for the rest of my natural life. *Which reminds me: I need to look into a new headliner before I quit being able to see where I'm going. No extraordinary maintenance except for a re-conditioned alternator so far, knock on wood.

It'll take a lot of gas even at $6.50/gallon to make up for a $15-20k new car, but insurance here is also a bitch.. it's mostly based on the car's "power" in KW rather than age and condition, and being just over the price point I'm paying punitively high insurance rates, something like $1200-1500/year which could probably be reduced by at least a third.. which could help pay for a new.. something! I think about it every time I have to pass up a parking space. * Ah well, maybe when the dollar rebounds!

But if I were still in the US I would never even THINK of a new car! I love my Saab hatchback! I could live in it if I needed to with its 6'* long cargo area and it's super-safe..

[img width=400 height=170]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7951/1101/1600/crop-crash.jpg[/img]

This isn't my car, thank Heaven. (I admit to stealing this pic from a random blogger -- "fair use" to promote all that is great and Saab! The guy's only injuries were scratches from where his glasses got pushed up onto his nose, and it was an SUV that hit him). I did have a Volvo broadside me in a '91 900s; the point of impact was behind the right front wheel and the whole side was bashed in -- the car was totaled but I was fine.. most any other car and I'd have pins in my right leg at the very least. I called the dealer the day after I got my insurance check and bought the exact same model over the phone.*
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

why is it this way?
http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/060518/17503.html
Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I crashed the market !

You know that old saw about knocking on wood? Since I started this thread, commenting on how nice it was that my investments were working hard for me and making me so much money, I have lost three cars worth of net worth. Ouch. The market giveth, and the market taketh away.

Unfortuntely, this is the kind of stuff that keeps people out of the market, and pushes others to pull out when prices are low. Oh well, I am still up for the year (I think). How low can we go?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #55

Quote:
How low can we go?
A: 0
Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Depends on whether you're short on anything. You might do somewhat worse than zero.

Still intrigued by the dynamic that has people run for it when things go on sale and try to pile in when things are marked up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #57

i find that equities carry sufficient risk per se ... no desire to add more.* (there is, i suppose, at some point a fine line between investing and gambling.)
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
It'll take a lot of gas even at $6.50/gallon to make up for a $15-20k new car, but insurance here is also a bitch.. it's mostly based on the car's "power" in KW rather than age and condition, and being just over the price point I'm paying punitively high insurance rates, something like $1200-1500/year which could probably be reduced by at least a third.. which could help pay for a new.. something! I think about it every time I have to pass up a parking space. * Ah well, maybe when the dollar rebounds!

This isn't my car, thank Heaven. (I admit to stealing this pic from a random blogger -- "fair use" to promote all that is great and Saab! The guy's only injuries were scratches from where his glasses got pushed up onto his nose, and it was an SUV that hit him). I did have a Volvo broadside me in a '91 900s; the point of impact was behind the right front wheel and the whole side was bashed in -- the car was totaled but I was fine.. most any other car and I'd have pins in my right leg at the very least. I called the dealer the day after I got my insurance check and bought the exact same model over the phone.*
One way to think of your higher insurance is that you are actually buying real insurance, on your life and well being. That must be worth something. It sure looks like the Saab comes through when you need it too.

Ha