Join Early Retirement Today

Will An Economic Stimulus Package Work?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

President Bush and congress are working on an economic stimulus package that could put as much as a $1,600 tax rebate in the hands of a married couple or $800 for a single person. With 70% of our economy dependent upon consumer spending, this could certainly help revive our sputtering economy. Do you agree or disagree?

Free Preview - WSJ.com
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely. Money always produces spending. However, the negative facotrs weighing on the economyu could overwhelm even this fairly hefty cash injection. This is the very next thing to helicopters dumping cash.

Ha
Old 01-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

To increase the deficit? absolutely. Will it make a difference to the economy? If the Congress gets its act together and acts quickly possibly, more likely no.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #4

I agree. We'd probably spend it right away on toys/entertainment since it would be "found money" and not planned on.

There is precedent for that. Gerald Ford arranged a $400 tax rebate in (I think) 1976. I spent it within a month or two, paying for a higher-than-expected annual inspection on my airplane.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...We'd probably spend it right away on toys/entertainment since it would be "found money" and not planned on...
Well, maybe "we" wouldn't spend it, but "they" would. I would put it right in the bank.

I agree that the more of our own money we get to keep, the better for the economy since most people would spend it.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #6

Sure, any shot in the arm will help, but how long will it last? Within a few months all the money junkies will be back in line wanting another "fix" and in six months we'll be seeing the same old scenario play again.

I say, keep interest rates where they are, don't inject a cent of money we don't have, and let the market seek it's own level.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Many will spend it
A lot more ( those that have come out of the spending fog and realized the mess we are in) will pay down some of their debt
Then the rare creature that has always been frugal and savings driven(like me) will save it.
Nanita8140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

I heard the Democrats in Congress said "absolutely not" to a rebate/refund/etc. Since then, Bush backed down. I've heard the opposite too. I say we plug the $80 Billion leak that is Iraq.

The last time this rebate thing was attempted was 2001, wasn't it? $300 for single, $600 for married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
<snip>

I say, keep interest rates where they are, don't inject a cent of money we don't have, and let the market seek it's own level.
Sounds good to me, I'm accumulating.

-CC
Old 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It would make up for some investment losses. Personally I doubt I would spend it, though I might.

Hmmm..... the idea boggles the mind!

In a similar article at
Fiscal Stimulus Plans Gather Steam (Breaking News) | SmartMoney.com
Quote:
Bernanke said any program Congress and the White House adopt should be carefully designed to funnel money quickly and temporarily into the hands of those most likely to spend it.
TEMPORARILY? I guess if they don't extend the tax cuts, they'll get it back soon enough.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've already planned to spend it -- but on a trip to Tibet, so that won't help the economy here much.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #11

I think I would spend a large part of it on wine and women ... the rest I would squander
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure -- If I am having a budget problem and I pay off a few bills with my credit card then things relax a bit for the immediate future ... But the bill still comes for the credit withdrawl made ...

If they do a stimulus package it is another check we are writing that our grandkids will have to pay for.

The only way I would agree to it is to cut spending from the budget equal to the stimulus.
militaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
I heard the Democrats in Congress said "absolutely not" to a rebate/refund/etc. Since then, Bush backed down. I've heard the opposite too. I say we plug the $80 Billion leak that is Iraq.

The last time this rebate thing was attempted was 2001, wasn't it? $300 for single, $600 for married.

Sounds good to me, I'm accumulating.

-CC
Yes, the tax rebate was $300 for singles and $600 for couples in 2001.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #14

According to Robert Samuelson, who I read in the Washington Post, it will be too small to have an effect on an economy as big as ours.

I have not linked to this site before but I found the article on the Interweb:
RealClearPolitics - Articles - Stimulus Will Be Unneeded or Too Little

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #15

Yes, the new HD TV is going to be ordered this afternoon if the Government is going to pay for it.

Isn't that the Patriotic thing to do?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
Yes, the new HD TV is going to be ordered this afternoon if the Government is going to pay for it.

Isn't that the Patriotic thing to do?
I would imagine that a LOT of Americans will follow your lead. This will be a windfall for those companies that make HDTV's, I think. Many of them are headquartered in Japan, too, though I'm sure a lot will also go to retailers like Circuit City and Best Buy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Didn't the last one reduce your refund, in effect, making it an "early tax refund"??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #18

I read that if they give a rebate only people under a certain income would probably get it. One online article speculated that only singles making under $85,000 and couples making under $110,000 would get it. I suppose that makes sense since they are the people most likely to need it and most likely to spend the rebate. Of course, it still remains to be seen if there will be income limits on a rebate.
DallasGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Those were called "prebates" but I don' think that is the case with this one.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I read that if they give a rebate only people under a certain income would probably get it. One online article speculated that only singles making under $85,000 and couples making under $110,000 would get it. I suppose that makes sense since they are the people most likely to need it and most likely to spend the rebate. Of course, it still remains to be seen if there will be income limits on a rebate.
I like this idea. Limiting the number of people that get it helps to keep the deficit from going too much higher while still getting help to those that need it most. If Bush is proposing it though wouldn't it only go to the top 1% of earners
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote